Hey guys. First real post here.

First I would like to say this is an awesome site!! I have been a member of many forums and this one is top of the line!!

I am not new to R/C...have had two. Tamiya Super Blackfoot and Losi JR-T. I got both of these when I was about 12. I am now 36 with four kids.

I got a Super Clodbuster for my birthday. I had wanted one since I was 12. The kids talked mom into it and now I have one. MAN that thing is something. If you have ever seen polarbear111 on youtube when he got a clod...lol...I said the same thing. I GOT A CLOD!!

I have seen many mods and researched to death what I'm going to do with mine. I was a shop teacher for 9 years and now am a diesel mechanic (all CAT) and love doing my own stuff. Would love to see all the diy stuff people have done to their Clods. I know there is alot, and its spread out all over, but if you have made your own servo mounts (saw twinsets mount and probably going to use that! GREAT JOB!!), 4 links, chassis, lift kits, steering rods, etc....please post pics of what you have done. Just whatever you have done diy. Would love to see it all in one place! Hope to get pics of my Clod up soon.

Thanks and its great to be here!

This was one I built before I got a lot of practice in on the mill. It's now owned by another TC member. I believe the axle guards / servo mounts are a unique design, not to everyones taste but they are very strong as they attach to the gearbox through 8 mount points, and the 4 links mount to the axle guard frame rather than the gearbox (The advantage being if you hit anything with the axle guard no force is transmitted through the gearbox). They also have the advantage of being able to use 1/4 scale servos for steering (as you can with the TXT-1). Before I sold it I had a F350 Hi Lift shell mounted on it.

img33435_12062010155632_9.jpg

Detail of cage that holds servo, mounts suspension cantilever, and major suspension points

img33435_12062010155632_3.jpg
img33435_12062010155632_4.jpg

1/4 scale servo fitted

img33435_12062010155632_7.jpg

Home made suspension cantilevers

img33435_12062010155632_8.jpg

Space for twin battery packs :)

img33435_12062010155632_5.jpg

• Like 4

Impressive stuff Mad Inventor!!

I made up dual steering plates though and also changed over to oil shocks but apart from that my Clod is pretty much stock. Drives nice though! :)

WP_20150108_024.jpg

WP_20150108_030.jpg

WP_20150108_007.jpg

Madinventor...Love the ruggedness of your pieces!! Have you ever worn out or broken any of your parts?? What type of mill do you use? How much of a difference does the 1/4 scale servo make compared to the high torque standard servos? Sweet designs!

Quandry...Plan to make steering servo mounts similar to yours. Have some aluminum angle...thinking of using your plate design but instead of a flat plate, notching the angle and using the angle as the servo holder instead of having to buy extra plastic or alum mounts. Going to keep the stock tub. Hoping to improve it as much as possible. Seen many do this and seems like a fun challenge. Did a lot to my Blackfoots. Mainly to remove bump steer and soften the front end.

Twinset...Have followed A LOT of your posts. Man would love to sit around and chat with you. The torsion setup is awsome!! Very much like a trailer axle...although they use rubber instead of a spring. That thing would have to float when you run it! I read where you do not like the coilovers and such. Its similar to some Kenworth suspensions. If you wanted to get rid of the shock you might could come up with some sort of Z spring. If articulation wasn't a huge factor. I don't know how you would go about making a small one thought. Maybe a rubber bushing where your torsion bar rides with a clamp you could tighten or loosen to your liking, to control the spring effect. Just going from class 8 truck experience. Don't know if any of that would be viable but like talking about it. lol.

Thanks for posting, loving this stuff!! Such a wealth of information here!

Madinventor...Love the ruggedness of your pieces!! Have you ever worn out or broken any of your parts?? What type of mill do you use? How much of a difference does the 1/4 scale servo make compared to the high torque standard servos? Sweet designs!

I don't think I've ever broken anything I've made, it's usually the mass produced attached bits that break :). I never broke anything on the clod in the above thread, and resorted to building like that after damaging axle tubes and the moulded steering posts that the top links are sometimes mounted into.

I use an old Warco minor mill / drill with a round head post, with a 700/800 Watt motor. I've now got a DRO fitted on it which helps a lot. I've also got access to a small / medium sized Warco lathe.

The 1/4 scale servos enable the wheels to be moved whilst the truck is stationary, but they are slower than the smaller servos. I used them as I bought a 2nd hand txt-1 that had one fitted. That was quite a number of years ago now, so modern high torque digital servos might give you the same torque in a smaller package.

If you like that, have a look at these builds I've done since:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=70984

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=67794

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=70389

:)

The Crawford Performance Engineering Flashback chassis is a sweet unit, but I'm not sold on the looks. But it's the only new retro chassis on the market, and a bit cheaper than any of the old school designs still available

Yeah...I'm like you. Its pretty cool, but the look is not just to my fancy. Something more towards the old sassy chassis is what I would like to see. Even just an aluminum tub. lol

Ooh, that brings back memories!! I remember seeing pics of that when you first posted it, I rushed out and bought a whole load of parts to make something similar. Been a long time since I last looked at my Clod axles but I think that could still make a very capable crawler concept...

The Cane/Stick chassis were pretty capable, the closest link chassis I can think of was probably the Hustler tuber

At 3:30 it's climbing pretty much vertical

There's a guy on ebay selling a sassy copy. Looks decent in the pics, and he has many versions (stock, two battery version, extended wb, 6x6...)

Hello,

w would like to see some "shaved" original clodbuster chassis.

I use axle mounted Servos, but the clearence between the Gearbox and the original Chassis is quite narrow.
For my Bullhead Project i maybe even use shorter shocks, i will try to stretch them with longer rodends, but i do not know where to get them .....

So maybe i have to shave the Chassis. I do not want to ruin the chassis, so i would love to see some pictures of your shaved chassis before.

On 3/3/2015 at 9:46 AM, MadInventor said:

This was one I built before I got a lot of practice in on the mill. It's now owned by another TC member. I believe the axle guards / servo mounts are a unique design, not to everyones taste but they are very strong as they attach to the gearbox through 8 mount points, and the 4 links mount to the axle guard frame rather than the gearbox (The advantage being if you hit anything with the axle guard no force is transmitted through the gearbox). They also have the advantage of being able to use 1/4 scale servos for steering (as you can with the TXT-1). Before I sold it I had a F350 Hi Lift shell mounted on it.

img33435_12062010155632_9.jpg

Detail of cage that holds servo, mounts suspension cantilever, and major suspension points

img33435_12062010155632_3.jpg
img33435_12062010155632_4.jpg

1/4 scale servo fitted

img33435_12062010155632_7.jpg

Home made suspension cantilevers

img33435_12062010155632_8.jpg

Space for twin battery packs :)

img33435_12062010155632_5.jpg

This is beautiful!!

On 3/12/2015 at 5:58 AM, Peachgrower said:

Yeah...I'm like you. Its pretty cool, but the look is not just to my fancy. Something more towards the old sassy chassis is what I would like to see. Even just an aluminum tub. lol

Are you into the flying hobby?