Sign in to follow this  
TeaMonster

TT02B MS or DF03 or ?

Hello all,

I am thinking of getting one of these for my daughter to use as an alternative to her lunchbox. The kit will be used for back garden running, park and gravel wasteland so nothing extreme, most extreme thing will be the skateboard ramp we use😀.

The motor will be no more than a sport tuned.

I have also suggested a wild one, WT01N or a DN01, although the wild one is me wanting one really and the DN01 I am not sure where that came from.

Any help, advice or experience with any of the models is appreciated.

Many thanks

With young kids and skateboard ramps in the equation, it sounds like it will see hard use, and of the options you present, the WT-01N is the toughest. That would be my recommendation.

However, being a truck, it is perhaps not sufficiently different to her Lunch Box - a buggy would give more of a contrast. Of the buggy options, the TT-02B is the most bashable, although I would go for the standard one over the MS as the stock plastic parts may not be as precise as their alloy and FRP MS equivalents, but they are more crash-resistant.

Thanks for the reply, I will do a bit more research on the WT01n. There seems to be plenty of info on the WT01 but not much on this model, she has liked using my DT03 so I may let her have that and then I will get a wild one😀

On a side note,

I have read your write up on the TT02B and found it was most useful, would you say the upgrades on the MS version are worth the extra?

Thanks

Pretty much all the info you find on the WT-01 will be just as relevant for the WT-01N, as the only differences between the two chassis are the bumper design and the length of the suspension arms/dogbones/tierods.

Arguably the most important upgrades to a TT-02B are the diffs and diff pinions, and these are not included in the MS version. Neither AFAIK is the alloy motor mount, which is another important upgrade especially if running a hotter-than-stock motor. And if you are fitting bearings to an off-road basher, you'd probably be better off fitting rubber-sealed ones rather than the metal-shielded ones supplied with the MS.

There are some nice option parts on the MS that would make it a tighter, more precise racing machine, and it would be a worthwhile purchase if this was its intended purpose. However tightness and precision come at the expense of flexibility and the ability to bounce back to shape after a crash, so as a basher I would hesitate to recommend it over the stock version.

For a reliable kid's basher, I would take a stock TT-02B, add metal diffs, metal diff pinions, a metal motor mount and rubber-sealed bearings, and leave it at that.

Pretty much all the info you find on the WT-01 will be just as relevant for the WT-01N, as the only differences between the two chassis are the bumper design and the length of the suspension arms/dogbones/tierods.

Arguably the most important upgrades to a TT-02B are the diffs and diff pinions, and these are not included in the MS version. Neither AFAIK is the alloy motor mount, which is another important upgrade especially if running a hotter-than-stock motor. And if you are fitting bearings to an off-road basher, you'd probably be better off fitting rubber-sealed ones rather than the metal-shielded ones supplied with the MS.

There are some nice option parts on the MS that would make it a tighter, more precise racing machine, and it would be a worthwhile purchase if this was its intended purpose. However tightness and precision come at the expense of flexibility and the ability to bounce back to shape after a crash, so as a basher I would hesitate to recommend it over the stock version.

For a reliable kid's basher, I would take a stock TT-02B, add metal diffs, metal diff pinions, a metal motor mount and rubber-sealed bearings, and leave it at that.

Many thanks for the reply and all the advice/ info it contains.