Effigy3

TT-02B Neo Scorcher Item #84387 - Daughters build

This is not going to be an uber detailed build thread. We gave my daughter a TT-02B Pink Neo Scorcher for her 11th birthday. Her brother and I are getting into off road racing and Morgan wanted something she could run at the track while we practice with our cars. I don't know if she will want to race. If she does, it'll be in the beginner class which is "run what cha brung". We aren't going to do a lot of hop-ups at this point. Ball bearings of course. Since the TBLE-02S ESC is brushless capable I got her a tame 1820kv 21.5T sensored motor by Leopard ($45). I also got the Tamiya aluminum drive shaft and locking hexes hop-ups. She'll run either 3000 or 5000 mAh NiMh batteries. I've also splurged on the Spekrum DX4C radio kit. It provides Automatic Vehicle Control (AVC) which I think will greatly increase her enjoyment of the car. It can be dialed back as she improves. It can also be disabled if she chooses to race. This car is really just for fun.

So we start out building the gears and differentials. We used plenty of AW grease in the diffs. I toyed with the idea of using diff putty in the rear but was unsure if the plastic bevel gears would work with it so I skipped it.

06.06.2015-11.46.png

06.06.2015-11.46.png

The prop shaft was too long. :wacko: Did I get the wrong one? I must have...

Screwing down the differential housings.

06.06.2015-11.49.png

I still need to solder the motor wires on, but they haven't arrived yet. <_< We used a 25T 48P steel pinion. I can't seem to locate what the internal gear ratio is for this model so I installed the largest pinion I have. I'll keep an eye on the motor temps and adjust the gearing as needed. I can see the aluminum motor mount in our future. ;)

06.06.2015-11.50.png

• Like 2

Your alu prop is for a TT-01, you need 54501 which is for the TT-02 (and TT-02B). You need the joints at each end too - 54502. :)

• Like 1

Looks like you are making good progress!

As Mr Norris says, you need a TT-02 propshaft for a TT-02B. However the TT-02 alloy shaft works fine with the stock joints if you pop an O-ring into each of them - the alloy joints are pretty but not necessary.

Also, the TT-02B uses a 0.6 Module spur, and thus needs a 0.6 Module pinion. Contrary to what some sellers will try to tell you, this is not the same as a 48P pinion. The confusion is no doubt brought about because some places market 0.6 Module as "48P Metric", which is different to 48P. Here is a discussion on the topic:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=60701

• Like 1

Attaching the suspension arms.

06.07.2015-10.00.png

Front bumper

06.07.2015-10.01.png

Steering knuckles now

06.07.2015-10.02.png

We're still at it. There's a chance this will be done today. :o

Looks like you are making good progress!

As Mr Norris says, you need a TT-02 propshaft for a TT-02B. However the TT-02 alloy shaft works fine with the stock joints if you pop an O-ring into each of them - the alloy joints are pretty but not necessary.

Also, the TT-02B uses a 0.6 Module spur, and thus needs a 0.6 Module pinion. Contrary to what some sellers will try to tell you, this is not the same as a 48P pinion. The confusion is no doubt brought about because some places market 0.6 Module as "48P Metric", which is different to 48P. Here is a discussion on the topic:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=60701

I didn't think that 48p pinion felt right so I pulled it out this morning while she was still in bed and I swapped in the Super Stock BZ that I had in my TRF 201. I'm using the 17T pinion that came with the kit. This'll be just fine for her to start and once I can get her the proper pinion, I'll drop that 21.5T brushless motor back in.

06.07.2015-10.03.png

I also did some math and sorted out that the internal gear ratio is 2.6 (which coincidentally is the same as the TRF 201).

06.07.2015-10.08.png

The instructions state not to use pinions larger than 20T, but the motor mount has guide holes on the reverse for much larger pinons. So... If I need a larger pinion to run the brushless motor, can I flip the motor mount to give her like a 28T pinion?

According to the chart at Robinson Racinge, 24T is the largest .06 mod pinon they make. Has anyone run a 24T pinion on this car? If so, does it fit without modification?

06.07.2015-11.46.png

I run a 22t in mine it runs fine, but the diff is skipping with the 13.5t brushless again, not sure how long it will last now but the rest is holding up well to the pounding its getting being the spare car at racing that my youngest keeps having to borrow.

I run a 22t in mine it runs fine, but the diff is skipping with the 13.5t brushless again, not sure how long it will last now but the rest is holding up well to the pounding its getting being the spare car at racing that my youngest keeps having to borrow.

Which holes in the motor mount are you using with the 24T pinion?

I have a yeah racing allow mount, highly recommended if you are increasing power as there is another thread where it seems the standard mount twists under torque.

Carson has mod 0.6 steel pinions up to 29 teeth, but you should check first what motor mount and what spur gear you need for using pinions larger than those described with the regular spur and regular motor mount.

At the end of this article you'll find some information about TT-02 gearing options:

http://www.thercracer.com/2013/05/tamiya-tt02-build-and-review.html?m=0

Might not exactly suitable for an off road going buggy, but nonetheless an interesting read.

Awesome! Thanks for all the help guys. I found this chart on the Internets. It's for a TT-01 so I don't know if it'll fit the Neo Scorcher. Does anyone know if the spurs are interchangeable? I've highlighted the gear ratio I'm aiming for.

06.08.2015-08.31.png

Yesterday afternoon we put a little more time into the build. Working on the rear shock towers.

06.08.2015-08.35.png

Installing the rear uprights and drive axles.

06.08.2015-08.37.png

Below is where we finished yesterday. You can just barely see that she has the damper bits free of their sprues. She decided to watch Disney Channel (I guess there was a new Jessie, I don't know...) rather than start in on the shocks.

She's done a great job too. I've only had to:

• Trimmed the nubs she's left on the parts removing them from the sprues
  • Checked the tightness on her screws since she tends to leave them too loose
  • In step 4, she installed D2 in reverse (you can see it in the picture above) so I flipped that around to the correct direction

I'm pretty impressed how much interest she has in building this! It was wicked fun building the Desert Gator with my son and now building this Neo Scorcher with my daughter. This is what R/C is all about IMHO. Spending quality time with the kiddos, instilling great abstract thinking and attention to detail skills, not to mention all the algebra, geometry and phiysics. Yeah. This is awesome. :D

06.08.2015-08.44.png

Exactly how Is the diff skipping? Is it skipping against the bevel gear to the drive shaft or are the internal bevel gears skipping? I don't expect to put a hot motor into this car. I only plan to go to a 21.5T brushless for the reduced maintenance required of brushless motors. I suppose she could surprise me and get into racing and then all bets are off on what hop-ups I'll do for her. I'm such a sucker for my kids. :P

Awesome! Thanks for all the help guys. I found this chart on the Internets. It's for a TT-01 so I don't know if it'll fit the Neo Scorcher. Does anyone know if the spurs are interchangeable? I've highlighted the gear ratio I'm aiming for.

From what I've seen comparing my TT-01 to the TT-02/TT-02B photos, I think the spur gears are very different in design and how they are mounted on the shaft. As the TT-02B is offroad, keep the larger tires in mind when calculating your desired gear ratio. You might want to go a few teeth down with the pinion if the motor gets too hot to touch. The TT-02 high speed gear set is rather designed for onroad use, at least this was the case with the high speed gear sets made for the TT-01/DF-02 and TL-01/TL-01B back in the day.

Regarding the slipping rear diff, there are some TT-02B threads in the general section with advice on how to strengthen the gears for worry-free daily use.

+1 on the reinforced differential and the aluminum motor mount. I've gone through several sets so far with a 13.5T brushless. I can usually get 3-4 runs before I start to hear the dreaded 'clicking' of the rear diff ring gear when I'm running it. On road it seems to be fine, but once you hit the dirt, these gears prove to be a weak point in the car.

Working on the dampers.

06.13.2015-11.11.png

06.13.2015-11.13.png

06.13.2015-11.14.png

I think all we have left is the steering and electronics. I find the shock towers to be very, very bendy. The plastic just flexes all over the place. Not sure how this will effect the drive-ability of it but if she gets into racing I can totally see some upgrades.

The bendy towers are very good from a survivability perspective - unlike the DF-02, the TT-02B towers are seldom damaged in collisions.

As for the effect on handling, I can't say how much of a difference stiff towers would make, but mine handles quite nicely with the stock towers.

The bendy towers are very good from a survivability perspective - unlike the DF-02, the TT-02B towers are seldom damaged in collisions.

As for the effect on handling, I can't say how much of a difference stiff towers would make, but mine handles quite nicely with the stock towers.

Good point. Bend like a reed in a hurricane rather than snap like an oak tree. :)

Well, that TT-01 motor heatsink isn't going to work on this car. It slides around way too much. I really need to pay better attention when I'm ordering parts!

She's building the steering linkage here.

06.13.2015-18.06.png

06.13.2015-18.07.png

I had some actual (non-adjustable) turnbuckles leftover from hopping-up my sons DT-02 racer so the plastic jobbers got replaced on the front of the Neo Scorcher.

06.13.2015-18.08.png

I did the electronics. It was pretty fiddly getting all the wiring inside and around the Rx box. All in all though I think it's a pretty tidy job if I do say so myself. ;)

06.13.2015-18.10.png

06.13.2015-18.17.png

I think I need to take my Dremel to that front body post. Probably the back one as well. How many holes above the one I'm using should I leave?

06.13.2015-18.19.png

06.13.2015-18.22.png

So, it's mostly stock. I did use the Super Stock BZ motor and that seems to be a great choice for her so far. She's run it for a few minutes around the back yard and in the front street. I'll try to get some video of her driving it tomorrow.

• Like 1

Looks very tidy!

As for the body posts, might as well lop them off at the hole above the one you are using. Unlike a touring car that benefits from a bit of vertical movement in the shell to help it ride up and over minor obstacles, the buggy body can be clipped down tight without any issues.

• Like 1

I like the metallic pink body on this one. Glad I bought one to build someday in the future. Great thread Effigy3. Be sure to tell us how she likes driving it, too. It has to move pretty good with that motor.

• Like 1

Looks very tidy!

As for the body posts, might as well lop them off at the hole above the one you are using. Unlike a touring car that benefits from a bit of vertical movement in the shell to help it ride up and over minor obstacles, the buggy body can be clipped down tight without any issues.

Thanks for the advice. I elected to leave 2 holes above because that's what's showing on the rear post. This way I can have them match (OCD what?) and only have to cut one. ;)

06.13.2015-19.25.png

Today was my son's birthday party. The family and two of his friends (summer break birthdays are the pits for a kid) went to the R/C track. We rented Slashes for the friends. My son drove his Losi XXX SCT birthday present and my daughter drover her TT-02B. The 1/10th scale track is in rough shape so we drove on the 1/8th scale track. It was pretty damp and down right muddy in some places. Mom and I pulled marshalling duty, for an hour. :o I'm happy to report that my daughter drover her buggy all over that big track, sometimes off it, and the thing held up like a champ. She took a couple of those jumps way bigger than I would have liked but the TT-02B took that pounding and kept on running strong. I don't have too many pictures because I was all muddy from the track. This is all I got.

06.20.2015-20.10.png

06.20.2015-20.12.png

06.20.2015-20.13.png

I do think I'm going to get the metal motor mount, and the reinforced shock towers for her.

Tamiya or aftermarket?

Dorvack.

Most likely the Tamiya one. I need a driver figure and I'd like to get her the reinforced shock towers as well. This'll probably all happen next month though.

Took the Pink to the track today. It's very loose with big puffs of powder when cornering at many places. I must say that the Neo Scorcher is proving to be one great little buggy. My daughter passed on a trip to the track so my buddy piloted it. It was his first time ever driving an R/C car. Within no time he was blasting around and shamed us all. I don't know if it was because of the AVC or that I put the stock rims/tires back on so he had much better traction than any of the rest of us. Here's a pic of him catching some air off the first jump of the triple.

07.04.2015-16.16.png

After an hour of hard track driving the buggy was completely unscathed. Impressive!

• Like 2