Sign in to follow this  
HomerJHandley

What Glue For Sponge Tyres?

What glue do you all use for gluing your sponge tyres to the wheels?

specifically mardave?

just wondering if ther eis a preferred one!

traditionally best glue is dunlop rubber "Contact Adhesive"

you paint it onto both surfaces to be glued and let it skin over for a short while

then you press both surfaces together (some ppl use an airplane spinner cone)

if you wrap 1 layer of electrical tape around your wheels before applying glue

you can later unwrap the tape and reuse the wheels without any cleanup

or soak used tyres in a big vat of thinners to dissolve the glue

In the UK you'll know Dunlop contact adhesive as Evo Stik.

Depending on your choice, insulation tape around the wheels or scuff the wheels to improve glue adhesion. Coat wheel and inside tyre with Evostik, put plenty on and leave to dry, to make sure the glue isn't pushed out when the tyre is slid on the wheel. When dry either dip the wheel and tyre in thinner or put a thin coat of glue over the wheel and tyre to lubricate it. Press wheel into tyre, square it up and leave 24 hours to set.

To remove the tyres when worn out or damaged, if you taped the wheels just slit across the tyre and peel off. If you've glued to the wheels then warm the wheels either on a low heat in the oven, or giving the wheels a blast with a hair drier to get them hot, then roll the tyres off the wheels.

In the UK you'll know Dunlop contact adhesive as Evo Stik.

Depending on your choice, insulation tape around the wheels or scuff the wheels to improve glue adhesion. Coat wheel and inside tyre with Evostik, put plenty on and leave to dry, to make sure the glue isn't pushed out when the tyre is slid on the wheel. When dry either dip the wheel and tyre in thinner or put a thin coat of glue over the wheel and tyre to lubricate it. Press wheel into tyre, square it up and leave 24 hours to set.

To remove the tyres when worn out or damaged, if you taped the wheels just slit across the tyre and peel off. If you've glued to the wheels then warm the wheels either on a low heat in the oven, or giving the wheels a blast with a hair drier to get them hot, then roll the tyres off the wheels.

+1

Yep Terry told me to do this for my F1 car and works a treat! :-) he even witnessed me beating him with my N. Rosberg - Williams F109! :-p

Later

VV