ChrisRx718

TA03F Drift Car Project

So I have a bit of a love affair with the TA03 chassis design, which has led me onto my latest project.

I love the diverse ways the chassis can be configured - front or rear-engined and long and short wheelbases. I already have 3 different chassis in different configurations, but have amassed so many spare parts over the years that I took a look at my big kit box and decided I wouldn't need to add too much to it to build a runner, allowing me to keep my other 3 chassis pristine, with very light use. I needed something I could abuse again!

So what is a TA03?

Naturally it followed the shaft-driven TA01 & TA02, it was (correct me if I'm wrong) the first Tamiya touring chassis to utilise a belt-driven drivetrain. With sealed gearboxes at either end, one containing the spur / pinion and the other just containing the rear counter gear and differential, a single belt runs the length of the chassis on gearbox-mounted pulleys. This effectively makes both gearboxes kind of 'planetary' and separate from the chassis. The aforementioned usually comprising a plastic tub, not dissimilar to a TA02, albeit without any drivetrain attachments, merely mounting points for the gearboxes.

The more desirable 'Pro' & TRF models got FRP or CF twin-deck chassis which vastly simplifies the appearance and layout. The double-wishbone suspension on all 4 corners (mirrored front to back) with vertical shock absorbers closely mimics a design seen in road cars (part of the reasoning for my affections).

Whilst I have never personally raced a TA03 the chassis did have success at a high level during its prime, but ultimately it was far too complex and a bit heavy, which is the difference you see when comparing it to its successor the TA04, which exhibits a much more conventional mid-rear mounted motor with two belts directly driven from the central spur shaft.

The weight distribution of the TA03F (F denoting 'front') which placed the motor in front of the steering axle was looked upon fondly in the mid 00's when the drifting craze took over, prompting a TA03F Pro Drift Spec chassis kit. It was this arena where my history with the TA03 started.

With the weight in the front and a correctly set up car the TA03F could get aggressive steering angles effectively swinging itself around the heavy nose weight, like a pendulum. I witnessed a couple at a UK event and they put the TT01D I was building to shame!

Sadly the following season the TA03F chassis was outlawed from the UK championship as it was felt there was an unfair advantage, still a source of many bitter feelings on my part after I spent a lot of time and money pre-season building a TA03F! I was allowed to participate in practice events but could not compete :( I still have that same TA03F chassis today.

So on to my project...

I want a drift car I'm not afraid to use. It would be cheaper and probably more fruitful to pursue a Sakura D3 or more widely-supported Yokomo drift chassis, but where's the fun in that?!

So below are some pictures of the parts I have gathered, starting with the NIP Hop-Ups, the Spare Parts and finally some loose parts I've sourced:

EC9937EA-F6FC-4F7C-A954-A95CCC315016.jpg

1D020D92-BA60-4BE3-A6F3-EEF59B53F260.jpg

84DC68FF-8595-474B-AAC1-CC28FA7A84C5.jpg

I update this tomorrow with the first part of the build and a full spec list of my build.

• Like 5

Looks good, some nice kit there - especially the super duper ultra rare NIP Fluorescent Stabilizer Bars kit :0. I also love the TA03 chassis, it was the chassis that got me into racing many years ago with the TA03F (converted to David Jun spec), then onto a TA03R TRF and finally the TA03R-S TRF , good days and semi successful ones too :)

I have a used but in fantastic condition official Tamiya Aluminium Racing Steering Set and Carbon Steering Bar with all the hardware needed to fit it including the bearings and a nice Tamiya TA03 Rear Carbon Stabilizer Support if your interested for cheap ? Can easy get a picture to PM you with, would be a few more official Tamiya Hop ups to add to the car ;)

I am about to rebuild my almost fully hopped up TA03R-S Porsche 911 this weekend while the wife and son are away at his Gran and Papa's :) So Will possibly do a build thread too.

James

:)

Sounds good, PM coming your way :)

The first step is simply to build up the ball differentials. These are the same items as found in the Manta Ray and can be fitted to other cars like the TL01 and M-chassis from that era.

These are also fitted with 53217 Hard Cup Joint for Ball Diff

76CB4AB2-28DF-40F7-A53C-4F898CF86DC8.jpg

Brilliant write up mate, will be following your build project.

Ooo am liking this already! Any idea what body it's going to be wearing yet?

I have an R32 body which fits because it's what I used to run in the drift events, but it's got a kind of sentimental value for the same reason!

I love these too, have an 03F as a drifter, an 03R with my Controlfreax 6R4 body on and an 03FS and an 03RS both waiting on suitable shells (want the pug and Corolla rally shells really.)

Proper old school drift machines.

The Pug is lovely, I very nearly bought one from Gumtree recently which needed a minor restoration, but decided I already had enough cars!

My R-S has the 993 GT2 body Taisan / PIAA which I'm building into a road-going Clubsport.

Whilst not on-par with the likes of a Woodst0ck build thread, I thought I'd put a little more effort into my project and make it a bit easier to follow. I'll update daily (hopefully) until it is complete. Apologies for the photograph quality, I was only armed with a (not-so) trusty iPhone!

Step1.png

Step23.png

Step4a.png

Step4b.png

Step4c.png

• Like 1

Coming together nicely - be interesting to hear how this handles with the one way; I've no idea whether its going to help or hinder , especially in drift transitions :unsure:

Nice style with the photo annotations ;)

Loving this build thread, especially the effort you're putting in with the pics matey. Can't wait to see how it runs!

Coming together nicely - be interesting to hear how this handles with the one way; I've no idea whether its going to help or hinder , especially in drift transitions :unsure:

Nice style with the photo annotations ;)

It's similar to my old setup in everything but pulley arrangement. The one-way acts like a handbrake for tight, technical tracks. Using the brakes on a long sweeping curve can see you swiftly spinning-out though, so it should be 'interesting'!

Loving this build thread, especially the effort you're putting in with the pics matey. Can't wait to see how it runs!

Thanks, I decided to put a little more effort in as grainy pics aren't very fun to read-back. I'm still not sure how the pulley arrangement is going to work, I'm thinking I might try putting the smaller one on the back to give it a bit of counter-steer? As the smaller one would be the faster axle...

As said loving the pics so far :) Those parts I sent should be with you either today or tomorrow bud. :)

James

Excellent, thanks again. I will get your bits sent out today too.

Looks very good indeed! I know in your intro you said you were building a runner, but this looks good enough for the shelf!

Starting on the bodyshell...

I have already pointed out what this is, but edited it out. See if anyone can guess from this picture...

21CE7B88-B644-45CD-9F7E-6A3DC5C16BA8.jpg

Some really nice photos so far buddy :) Just to note, with that 14T up front and the 16T at the rear, thats basically 15T pulleys all round (average) aka TA03R pulley size, your tensioner will need to be set under the belt probably using the teethed pulley parts rather than the TA03F smooth pulley parts to get the tension correct. (hope that makes sense) :)

James

Some really nice photos so far buddy :) Just to note, with that 14T up front and the 16T at the rear, thats basically 15T pulleys all round (average) aka TA03R pulley size, your tensioner will need to be set under the belt probably using the teethed pulley parts rather than the TA03F smooth pulley parts to get the tension correct. (hope that makes sense) :)

James

I'd like to pretend that I realised this but really I hadn't, not until I actually fitted the belt and realised it was really slack :(

I either need to find a 17T pulley or fit a dreaded nylon one :(

Anyways...

Step15a.png

Step15b.png

Step16.png

Step17-20.png

Step19.png

Step20.png

• Like 2

No you can still use the 14t and 16t pulleys, its the pulley on the tensioner that will need to be a toothed one. And sit under the belt. :) This will give more tension on the belt without being too tight or too slack.

James