Sign in to follow this  
Jonesy76

TXT-1 new motor choice

My trusty (when I've not broken it again) TXT-1 is back on the workbench and I'm looking to slow it down a bit.

For the last two summers it has been an absolute hoot on sand and loose gravel with its twin 19x2 motors on board, but that combination has resulted in three bust axle casings now simply due to the high revving nature of the motors.

I don't want to turn it into a full blown crawler, but I would like to give it more torque than it currently has to climb up things.

Considering puting something akin to a pair of hi-torque 27T 540's in there.

What do people suggest, and what's not going to blow the bank (the cheaper the better as I'm yet to sell my TLT-1!)?

Put the original motors back in and get a couple of 12T steel pinions and away you go.

Gives a nice slow speed without being rock crawler slow.

Alternatively a high turn ezrun brushless motor might be a good option. Lots of torque and maintenance free.

Look for xerun 4274 on ebay. It's a big high torque motor (Larger than a 540), but is only 2000Kv, so not fast on a 7.2V battery (Around 14000rpm, so a bit slower than a 540), but it is good for 4s lipo apparently. Not used one myself but seriously considered getting one for my TXT.

Edit, the xerun isn't exactly cheap, so another suggestion is to use 12V power drill motors. These are cheap and they can used with larger batteries, and combined with the small pinions will give excellent climbing power. They also have the advantage of an internal fan.

2 for sale on TC here:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/trades_model.asp?cid=107547

how about an ESC with a more moderate powercurve when hitting the gas.

and still keep the end speed.

how about an ESC with a more moderate powercurve when hitting the gas.

and still keep the end speed.

you can grab a castle sv2/sidewinder it runs both brushed or brushless motors and via the link you can adjust the throttle and brake curves unlimited