Quandry

Video game crash of 1983....

I wasn't even born back then, but my first experiences with videogames were in the late 80s with Super Mario Bros. for the NES and Test Drive for the Commodore Amiga.

I recall not being interested n getting ANYTHING atari, as I had seen how horribly bad the games were at friends houses. They all had this incredibly eleborate, amazing and promising box art, and then the game graphics themselves were often not more that a moving square on he screen. Total let down.

I think many stayed away from game consoles back then, as the games that was released, was often in the pure ripoff category. Simply too much wortless bad game releases, wasnt worth he time nor the money.

When the commodore 64 came out though, thats when I jumped into it. Have a couple of them, now with the Chameleon cartridge, which has a cpu speeder, like the old super cpu.

• Like 3

I remember I saved up £400 and bought an Amiga 500+ Batman pack when it first came out, still have a few Amigas now, one set up and working.

• Like 2

I remember I saved up £400 and bought an Amiga 500+ Batman pack when it first came out, still have a few Amigas now, one set up and working.

I had the batman pack too :) . Loved the Amiga 500+ . It had a disc drive, I was so excited at the time after coming from cassettes. A game called shadow of the beast blew me away graphics wise.

Earliest I had was a commodore vic20 then, commodore 16, zx spectrum+2, acorn electron, nintendo nes, sega mega drive, sega saturn.

• Like 1

Aha, my other addiction! I started out with an Amiga 500+ Cartoon Classics pack, my mum and dad convinced my brother and me that it would be too expensive, and when they pulled this gift-wrapped box out, I thought it was a Scalextric!

This is my other 'hobby' and I have collected quite a lot of consoles and computers over the years, my favourite being the Vectrex.

My collection so far stands like this (I think!)

Nintendo

NES x 5

Famicom (Jap import) x1

SNES x 4

SNES USA x1

Super Famicom (Jap import) x1

Gamecube x3 (x1 silver Jap import)

Wii x2

Original Gameboy x3

Gameboy Colour x2

Gameboy Light (Jap import) x1

Gameboy Advance x1

Gameboy Advance Mini x1

Advance SP x1

DS Lite x1

3DS x1

Virtual Boy x2

N64 x4 (x1 Pikachu Edition)

Sega

Mastersystem 1 x2

Mastersystem 2 x3

Megadrive 1 x3 (x2 Asian import)

Megadrive 2 x2

Mega CD2 x1

32X x1

Saturn x2

Dreamcast x3

Gamegear x8

Atari

2600 Woodie x2

2600 Darth Vader x1

2600 Junior x6

7800 x1

520 ST x2

1040 STe x2

800XL x1

Jaguar x1

Lynx 2 x1

Commodore

C64 x2

C64C x2

C128 x1

Plus 4 x1

P500 (prototype) x1

Amiga 500 x1

Amiga 500+ x1

Amiga 600 x2

Amiga 600 HD x1

Amiga 1200 x1

CD32 x1

Sinclair Spectrum

ZX 48k x2

+2 x2

+3 x2

Phillips

CDi x7 (various models!)

Video Pac x1

3DO

Panasonic FZ-1 x3

Panasonic FZ-10 x1

Goldstar 3D0 x1

Microsoft

X-Box x4 (x3 Crystal)

360 x2 (x1 ROD!)

360 Slim x1

Sony

PS1 x5

PS2 x8 (some don't read DVD's or PS2 games!)

PS3 x3

PSP x3

Others

Milton Bradley Vectrex x1

NEC PC Engine (USA import) x1

BBC B Micro x1

Amstrad GX4000 x1

Bandai Wonderswan Crystal x1

Fairchild System F x1

Mattel Intellivision x1

NEO GEO Pocket x1

NEO GEO Pocket colour x1

Grandstand TV Pong x1

Binatone TV Pong x1

I have a few tabletop games too like Astrowars ect...

• Like 2

LOL! Yes they all get used when I can, but mostly the PS3 and X-Box360 if I'm honest......

I always loved Chase HQ, I remember going round my mates house after school, he had a Commodore 64 with the piano and disc drive and a proper monitor, spent an age loading the game up, had one go and my dad was always waiting to take me home!!

I also have an obsession with Bomberman, I am trying to collect a version for whatever format it was on!

My brother and I have done a few presentations for college students, so I took a few older consoles with me and what was new at the time. As soon as they saw the graphics on the older units, they ignored them completely!

• Like 2

BBC Model B.

Long break after that, then a Megadrive, PS1 and PS2. Never progressed past that. Oh, someone gave me a DreamCast once too. The missus has a Wii but it doesn't appeal at all.

No worries lupogtiboy. If you can, try to grab a CD unit for your PC Engine along with the Super System Card 3.0, so you can play awesome games like Dracula X (Castlevania Rondo of Blood), Gate of Thunder and Winds/Lords of Thunder. Or you can download them at bargain prices on the Wii's Virtual console service. Either way, these games rock IF you are into 16 bit shooters and action games. :)

My stuff

Nintendo: nintendo-game-boy-advu4jty.pngnintendo-nes-iconubkyk.pngsfc_36vj8p.gifnintendo-nintendo-64-b5juf.pngnintendo-gamecube-icojzk8d.pngnintendo-wii-icondfjmj.png

NEC: nec-turboduo-icongmko0.png

Sega: sega-game-gear-iconacjza.pngsega-master-system-ic1cji4.pngsega-genesis-icon99kzo.png

Sony: sony-playstation-2-slpfjs0.png

Microsoft: microsoft-xbox-360-icrfjn0.png

Am I 1337 now? ;)

• Like 4

Three old school shooters I loved were Xenon 2 megablast, r-type and battle squadron. The last two are available on google play. :)

mmmmm, best I can do is:-

PSP

PS3

PS2

N64

Amiga 600 x 3

ZX81

Gameboy

Atari ST

XBOX 360

plus various PC's that don't really count.

I had the batman pack too :) . Loved the Amiga 500+ . It had a disc drive, I was so excited at the time after coming from cassettes. A game called shadow of the beast blew me away graphics wise.

Earliest I had was a commodore vic20 then, commodore 16, zx spectrum+2, acorn electron, nintendo nes, sega mega drive, sega saturn.

I've got Shadow of the Beast on my Amiga, I could literally play it within 5 mins from now, but it's very hard and the graphics don't seem as good anymore :(

• Like 1

True. Things have moved on so much since then. One of the hardest games ever! I remember it having good music too. Oh I had an amiga 1200 too. Had the PS but then jumped to xbox 360. If I get another it will be PS4. :)

Some great consoles mentioned here, nice to see we've got some retro gamers on the forum :)

I used to work for a import game retailer in the late 90's so I've had pretty much everything, and seen/played every console.

My favourites are

Neo Geo

Super Famicom (SNES)

PC Engine

Saturn

Dreamcast

I love 2d fighting games, and was literally just playing KOF 96 five minutes before I logged on here :)

I've sold all my old machines, currently only have ps4, 360, wii, GC, psp, 3ds.

But still have plenty of retro titles to play ;)

• Like 2

I have had a few consoles in my time, but do miss my NeoGeo CD.

'Max 330 Mega Pro Gear Spec' still trips off the tongue.

Dorvack

NeoCD was soooooooo sloooooow.

Who puts a single speed CD drive in a console made to replace the biggest cartridges of all time Lol

Still cool though ;)

Still got my woodgrain 2600 somewhere. Wish I had my ms1 pack with safari hunt hang on + snail maze. Still have a ms2 and fav games are r-type and chasehq (later is my u/n on other forum's). Wish i still had my c64, favourites were Stunt Racer, Load Runner and Creatures. Had a Nintendo, favourite being days of thunder, SMB2 and a knight game i can't remember the name of.

Also had a standup arcade machine that I bought off a neighbour who had a room full of them for $350 nzd, it was like a clone of R-type with more detail, sold it back to him and have since forgotten the name of the game.

Have a PS3.

For goodness sake don't let me start collecting vintage gaming too...

• Like 1

Amiga was great wasn't it, that and the Atari ST had brilliant support, all the top movie licences and arcade conversions were on it, plus classics like sensible soccer, chaos engine xenon2 and others I could probably name if I sat down and had a think :)

Never worked out why Amiga games were £5 more, £24.99 as opposed to £19.99 on the ST, when they were almost identical??

• Like 1

Ah chaos engine. Another cool game I forgot about. I remember the atari st. I remember as a kid sweating over which to get, amiga or st?? :lol: amiga always had the edge in graphics etc. Like you said we paid a £5 premium for it.

My first console was the 2600 atari and loved it used to spend hours on centipede just clockin it over and over liked the smurf game also. Then got my parents to get me the spectrum 48 k from currys mine came with a few games the joystick tapeplayer and the bonus sinclair tv. To witch I have all in original packageing. I managed to get hold of a 14" matsui tv a month back so I can still use it.

• Like 2