Sign in to follow this  
Effigy3

M05 Mazda Miata

I don't know if anyone else has seen this but It looks like it will be available in December.

11.27.2015-21.18.png

I think that looks absolutely stunning. And then Tamiya put it on a M05 FWD chassis :( ..... why Tamiya. Why not make it RWD like the real car, would have made an awesome fun small drifter if it was RWD IMO. I wander if the body would fit on the M06? Or failing that find an older M02 chassis for the body.

James

:)

I think this shell and a MF-01x are in my future. Anyone who owns an MF care to comment on motor overhang compared to the M06?

How hard would it really be to modify one to be front-engine (i.e. run the chassis backward)?

edit: looks like the engine wouldn't clear the miata's low noseline:

Wheelbase.png

I have both M06 and Mf01 so I can do a few measurements later. I have the mk1 mx5 shell and that just fits on my MF01, so provided the scale is correct there should be plenty of room for the larger mk4.

I was also a bit dumbfounded that they chose to release it on a fwd platform, but I'm reliably informed that the M06 is not a great performer. I've only ever used mine in a car park so I'm not really qualified to say, but I thought it was fun all the same!

The M06 is actually pretty quick. The M05 is easier to drive though

• Like 1

I have both M06 and Mf01 so I can do a few measurements later. I have the mk1 mx5 shell and that just fits on my MF01, so provided the scale is correct there should be plenty of room for the larger mk4.

I was also a bit dumbfounded that they chose to release it on a fwd platform, but I'm reliably informed that the M06 is not a great performer. I've only ever used mine in a car park so I'm not really qualified to say, but I thought it was fun all the same!

Thank you for measuring.

From my crude mockup- this should fit just fine.

miata-mf_zpsvqy0fvd9.jpg

miata-mf-reverse_zpsvwtldee9.jpg

• Like 1

I've wanted to experiment with the MF01 and reversing it so the motor is at the front, but the stumbling block is going to be the steering. The motor will be smack in the way of the arc you'd want the wheels to turn in.

The rear suspension geometry is still really bugging me, I might just bite the bullet and get the long-span alloy setup from Yeah Racing, because at least that addresses all the issues - although I'm never really keen on lots of aluminium as it introduces stress points on the chassis where they meet. The individual rear suspension mount part they offer in this conversion kit isn't going to be available until next year sadly.

• Like 2