Sign in to follow this  
Nobbi1977

HornetBox

I got a Hornet off EBay, a fresh build with some spares for not a lot of money.

The plan was to run it around the garden with my 4 year old. Two issues, it is too fast for my son and it will not run over my grass.

I took it in too work to give it a run ( I have two sports halls and several Tarmac courts to play on ) but found it was not much fun on smooth surfaces, the front pushes and the rear spins. The knobbly spikes lasted about 5 min of doughnuts.

I made the mistake of buying some new wheels and tyres blind before I realised they were not universal fit

A quick ask on here for some ideas for a more ideal kit and someone suggested some lunchbox bits.

post-43504-14151346803894_thumb.jpg

New front axels and wheels ordered from EBay along with stronger tie bars

Some work needed to get the balls fitted in the servo saver and arms but I could not resist fitting.

post-43504-14151348317954_thumb.jpg

Not sure on a colour scheme yet. Might have to have some yellow to match the wheels as I do not want to paint them.

Lunch box hornet Noah:

Well it runs a lot better on wet grass than it used to and is better on tarmac too. Spent a lot less time on its roof

The boy even got a go. Set the trim to full forward and just let him steer .

Anyone do an LSD for these?

I'm sure you'll both have fun with the big LB wheels but if you want something a bit smaller that'll handle grass and smooth surfaces, Brat wheels & tyres all round will do the job nicely. Here's how they look on my Grasshopper

DSC02155.jpg

To slow it down for child friendly running you could swap the motor for a crawler motor, anything from 55 turns upwards will noticeably reduce the top speed. Or you could fit a Grasshopper 380 motor and adaptor plate. Both those options will also increase your battery life and give you longer run times. Actually the crawler motor would suit the large LB wheels nicely.

That looks great :-)

I love the look of the Brat, it might be my next buy. The wheels and tyres seemed expensive compared to LB ones but I might get a set in having seen how tough yours looks.

I am new to this and a bit slow so forgive me but what is a crawler motor? Do you have an example or link?

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/etronix-sport-tuned-modified-brushed-motor-60t/rc-car-products/37820

This is a nice one, affordable and quite well-made, and most importantly rebuildable, so you can take it apart to replace the bushes and bearings, clean it out, etc. This means it will outlast the slightly cheaper sealed-can crawler motors, making it cheaper in the long run.

• Like 1

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/electric-motors/rc-car-categories/9920/992015&MSAttributeID[25]=575&MSAttributeID[27]=1181

With the same rebuildability advantages as the one above, this one would be even slower, well-suited to a big-wheeled model for use by a kid. This is the one I put in the Lunchboxed Rising Fighter that is destined to be my nephew's 6th birthday present.

• Like 1

Many thanks 80t ordered, I was looking at the £15 ones so a better £20 one makes more sense.

Been looking at the rear today, it locks up to fast on the pivot and only needs about 1/3 of the travel for full Axel articulation.

I got a set of LB springs with the front axle kit and they are a lot thicker than stock.

The holder bits needed a bit of modification. Photos to follow

Posted Image

Needed a bit taking out to fit the spring

Posted Image

Posted Image

Standard v modified.

There is a spare screw hole. I plugged this with a screw and it adds force and limits movement.

Will test when weather is better but looks good from pushing on table.

Ah yes, a common issue with the Hornet/Lunchbox gearbox mount system. Most people just live with it, some add rubber buffers and/or extra springs in the slots as you have done, but by far the most trusted solution is the 3rd/5th shock mod, which involves putting an extra damper at the front of the gearbox pod.

A search of the forum will yield several variations that you could use as inspiration - it is quite a popular mod.

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/electric-motors/rc-car-categories/9920/992015&MSAttributeID[25]=575&MSAttributeID[27]=1181

With the same rebuildability advantages as the one above, this one would be even slower, well-suited to a big-wheeled model for use by a kid. This is the one I put in the Lunchboxed Rising Fighter that is destined to be my nephew's 6th birthday present.

Many thanks for the advice. Motor here and fitted and the top speed is about spot on for my son and no chance of a roll with tight turns now.

Rear mods have worked very well and the read axel seemed much more controlled.

Need to decide what to do about paint /stickers now. The paint is chipping off the inside so tempted to do a proper spray job on the outside

The paint is more likely to last if applied to the inside of the shell, as it is less likely to get scratched.

Might I suggest that a better result would be achieved if you strip the flaking paint, prepare the inner shell surface by lightly abrading it with a scouring pad, and repaint using good-quality polycarbonate spraycans? (Tamiya PS or equivalent.)

I did think about that but removing paint seems a pain. I am from the would of restoring bikes so paint always goes on the top

Unless you use polycarbonate paint, it will flake off just like the other paint. Poly paints have a full finish

Paint usually does go on top of the item being painted - clear polycarbonate shells are the exception to the norm in this regard.

Think of the polycarbonate as a really thick clearcoat, protecting the paint beneath.

I am guessing the last owner used normal paint because every knock splits a. Bit more paint off

Posted Image

Posted Image

Struggling to get the Lunchbox steering arms to fit with out hitting all over the place. Had to drill out the holes to get the balls to screw in.Posted Image

Tried a flat saver but that was no better, I might have to buy some ends and custom make them better.

You can gently scrub the paint off with a brush dipped in Nitro fuel.

Private video? I can't see it.

Max

Lunch box hornet Noah:

Well it runs a lot better on wet grass than it used to and is better on tarmac too. Spent a lot less time on its roof

The boy even got a go. Set the trim to full forward and just let him steer .

Anyone do an LSD for these?

Private video? I can't see it.

Max

Sorry, should be ok now. Ipad is not the best way to sort youtube

• Like 1

Now works, thanks.

Max

Not that it was worth watching

I will try and do some more when I trust the boy in control and can hold the camera properly.

Not that it was worth watching �

I wouldn't say that. The video gives a good idea of the speed of the model on 80t, which looks quite kid-friendly. It might encourage other dads to try something similar.

• Like 1

I was curious.

Max

Not that it was worth watching �

I will try and do some more when I trust the boy in control and can hold the camera properly.