Ian_Gsi16V

"Y" Harness for 2 Motors 1 ESC

Hi,

Considering bringing my stock clod out of retirement, now I remember when I first had the clod I knocked up a Y harness to run both silver cans off my ESC which worked fine :)

I remember it being extremly crude though :) Is one available to purchase now as we didn't have the Internet way back in '95/96 ;)

Hi there. That was a pretty common mod back in the good old 90's. Here's a scan off the RCCA magazine with all the information you'll ever need to run your Clod and keep your money in your pockets. ;)

01%20clod%20ESC%20setup_zpsom22xmqp.jpg?

My brother-in-law and nephew both run Y-harnesses made up of a pair of Tamiya motor leads soldered to the female motor connections cut from the stock dual-motor MSC.

This allows them to retain the stock bullet connectors on their ESCs and motors.

With some half-decent soldering and a bit of heatshrink tubing as insulation, they look quite professional.

01%20clod%20ESC%20setup_zpsom22xmqp.jpg?

Bear in mind front needs to run reversed? Not quite sure if polarity of front in diagram is correct, if you're relying on motor markings.

Old Clod has the Power/Economy switch; I looked up the SuperClod manual and MSC is hard wired for twin motor parallel - it's got yellow/green for rear and red/black for the front.

https://www.pololu.com/file/0J232/super_clod_buster_manual.pdf

Great! I am just starting to look at this now I have my clod running again!

Any hints on where I could purchase wire and bullet connectors to make up a Y cable? I have checked eBay but I can't seem to get the search terms right :mellow:

Edit - Just found a Motor Y lead on the Modelsport website and ordered it :)

• Like 1

If you want to run mod motors, you can set up the front one with opposite timing from the rear. That means if your rear motor is set +20 degrees, then your front motor should be set -20. You must have two of the same motor for this to work.

If you want to run mod motors, you can set up the front one with opposite timing from the rear. That means if your rear motor is set +20 degrees, then your front motor should be set -20. You must have two of the same motor for this to work.

I don't have any plans to run modded motors in it tbh, just wanted to use an ESC really without having to purchase a dual motor ESC.

Thanks for the tip though :)

Cable turned up last week and does exactly what it is meant to do :)

I'm planning to run a waterproof 12T HPI lipo compatible esc in my Dual Hunter with two Tamiya 23T motors. I know that is pushing the turn limit of the ESC by 0.5T but I'm hoping the rating is a touch on the conservative side! The modelsport Y lead should do the trick nicely.

Cheers

Nito

Cable turned up last week and does exactly what it is meant to do :)

Great! Can you share some pictures of your Clod Buster ESC set up, Ian?

Great! Can you share some pictures of your Clod Buster ESC set up, Ian?

No problem, all I have at the minute is this one but I will get more once I tidy it up - this was just to get it running and tested.

8FD43BF5-2294-44FD-A63F-1652ECC5CF33_zps