bromvw

D . U .K .W

I've got this idea in my over active mind to build a D.U.K.W . based on a Actionman body . Given my location and the amount of rivers and ponds within 5 mins of home i think it would be fun to do . I was into scale boats years ago so i know i can make it funtional and float . I'am thinking 4 wd with a power take off from the rear diff to power the prop . Has anyone ever done this or could you say if it could be done ?I think the body could just be bolted to the existing chassis with the motor within the shell mounted as per a boat with the prop/drive shaft passing though as per a boat

ACTUALLY ITS A FORD GPA SEEP .

post-37759-1332507063_thumb.jpg

mate all i can say is that i was given the chance to drive one round san francisco in 2008.......... and it was awesome ......... ........... on the road and in the sea....... . it was crazy !

I've got this idea in my over active mind to build a D.U.K.W . based on a Actionman body . Given my location and the amount of rivers and ponds within 5 mins of home i think it would be fun to do . I was into scale boats years ago so i know i can make it funtional and float . I'am thinking 4 wd with a power take off from the rear diff to power the prop . Has anyone ever done this or could you say if it could be done ?I think the body could just be bolted to the existing chassis with the motor within the shell mounted as per a boat with the prop/drive shaft passing though as per a boat

I had one of those as a kid .

I had though of doing this when i was young , but didn't . I think it was to flimsy the plastic . Thanks for the pic <_< as it gave my a smile .

I wish i still had it & had the action man i had to go in it . $$ now i would think .

You can see it in the back ground of pic.Was taken in the late 80's .

post-37029-1332509324_thumb.jpg

What are the approximate dimensions of the thing? How much room do you have to work with?

BTW, it's actually a Ford GPA, aka "Seep", not a DUKW.

I've always thought an Alvis Stalwart (Stolly) would make an awesome RC vehicle...

There's a 1:1 on eBay at the moment...

What are the approximate dimensions of the thing? How much room do you have to work with?

BTW, it's actually a Ford GPA, aka "Seep", not a DUKW.

its roughly 23 inches long by 9 inches wide and if i were to cut out the hatch's there would be load's of room to work with . The displacement would be fine for the weight of rc gear . It would involve some work with fiberglass to make it all water tight but thats no problem . I could even use it as a buck to make a two peice 'hull' .

That's such a crazy twisted idea it might just work !!! :angry: although i'm not sure what your looking at is a DUKW

Mike riggs is the man to ask about this, i know he's been after one for a while he may just be able to point you in the right direction <_<

its roughly 23 inches long by 9 inches wide and if i were to cut out the hatch's there would be load's of room to work with . The displacement would be fine for the weight of rc gear . It would involve some work with fiberglass to make it all water tight but thats no problem . I could even use it as a buck to make a two peice 'hull' .

Being that big I'd start looking at using the drive train out of a 3-speed.

Being that big I'd start looking at using the drive train out of a 3-speed.

that might work or i could use a cc o1 and run it in fwd with the rear drive shaft turning the water prop . If not i'll have to have a seperate drive motor for the water prop but a flex shaft thruster would work well as its a bolt on unit with rudder .

EDIT it is in fact a Ford GPA ampibious jeep in 1/6 ish scale .

Do it! I had a similar idea based on a 1/6 scale toy Schwimmwagen I found at a garage sale several years ago. I got as far as taking it all apart, then other projects came along, and I forgot about it and gave it to the neighbor kid when I moved. I still think it would be a great idea, though.

Instead of a PTO for the prop, would it be easier to just install a boat drivetrain, and switch the ESC's output between the two motors when you enter the water?

using a 3 channel , have a seperate motor for the prop and like the real thing steer with the front wheels .. ?

Be good to see this done properly. My brother in laws been building a DUKW on & off in 1/6 scale for about a year now. He's got the hull together and framework done in plasticard with wooden batterns for strength... and its huge!!! He's planning to use monster beetle drive gear with 2 set of powered rear axles and the front free wheeling. I've been trying to convince him to make it amphibious and power the front end too but he won't have it.

If I was building one Id fill all the free space with expanding foam to make sure it'll never sink. Then run the propellor off a seperate motor wired into the main battery/motor circuit, but have it switched so it would only be on when I knew I was heading for the wet stuff. If you're going to be driving into and out of water I think it's important to have the front and rear axles powered otherwise you may find getting traction a real problem.

Good luck with the build and keep us updated.

Be good to see this done properly. My brother in laws been building a DUKW on & off in 1/6 scale for about a year now. He's got the hull together and framework done in plasticard with wooden batterns for strength... and its huge!!! He's planning to use monster beetle drive gear with 2 set of powered rear axles and the front free wheeling. I've been trying to convince him to make it amphibious and power the front end too but he won't have it.

If I was building one Id fill all the free space with expanding foam to make sure it'll never sink. Then run the propellor off a seperate motor wired into the main battery/motor circuit, but have it switched so it would only be on when I knew I was heading for the wet stuff. If you're going to be driving into and out of water I think it's important to have the front and rear axles powered otherwise you may find getting traction a real problem.

Good luck with the build and keep us updated.

The more i think about it the more i'am convinced it has to be 4wd in order to be able to climb the river/ pond banks . Having a switchable propellor drive also makes sence . It would make it a more straight forward build . I just need to figure out what axels to use . I think i'll go for a leaf spring design as per the original jeep to keep things simple . I wonder if i could use an old MSC to switch ESC outputs ?

I agree, you don't want to get stuck on a muddy bank with your rear wheels spinning in the water. If your budget allows it I'd suggest crawler axles would work well and look the best, it just depends on the body width. If you also weight the wheels it would not only help with getting traction but keep the chassis upright in the water. Your MSC idea could be a clever and simple solution. Something I haven't concider is steering in the water. Do the real vehicles have a small rudder behind the prop?

I agree, you don't want to get stuck on a muddy bank with your rear wheels spinning in the water. If your budget allows it I'd suggest crawler axles would work well and look the best, it just depends on the body width. If you also weight the wheels it would not only help with getting traction but keep the chassis upright in the water. Your MSC idea could be a clever and simple solution. Something I haven't concider is steering in the water. Do the real vehicles have a small rudder behind the prop?

No . they steered with the front wheels and this was one of its design down falls . I think i could improve that using a scale boat bow thruster design but it would'nt be true to the orginal design .I have a few bids on donner actionman so i'll see how it go's .

No . they steered with the front wheels and this was one of its design down falls . I think i could improve that using a scale boat bow thruster design but it would'nt be true to the orginal design .I have a few bids on donner actionman so i'll see how it go's .

The DUKW is steered by it's front wheels but the GPA has a rudder.

Looking at the size of the model you could just fill up most of the hull with foam and build a water tight box for the electronics. Since the motor's are DC they can be submerged without any problems (although I would suggest spraying them out after running the thing.) I guess it depends on what the OP wants to do.

Won one on e bay for the reasonable price of £18.50 so at least i can see if it can be done :lol: My current thinking is to use rc4wd t rex 60 plastic axels to keep costs down on a simple leaf spring chassis and permanant 4wd . The prop will be driven by its own motor as per a boat .

Sounds like a plan... Are you going to just let the axles get wet, or try to tuck them up inside the hull and seal around them?

Sounds like a plan... Are you going to just let the axles get wet, or try to tuck them up inside the hull and seal around them?

I think just let them get wet . My idea is to have the drive shafts enter the hull / body as per a rc boat ie shaft within a tube . If i enclose the transfer case it will then be water tight .

i need some advice . Could a MSC handle the current of switching a 2s lipo so i can switch ESC'S ? My idea is to remove the centre contact so it becomes a simple two pole switch . Hopefully i'll be able to switch from land running to water mode this way . Also can anyone suggest a reasonably priced tx that can be bound to two rx ? Am i better off using a 4 channel ? . Any help or advice would be really appriciated .

Here's an idea... Crawler ESC with "dig". Crawlers use dig to shut off or lock one motor for maneuverability, but if you just designate the "front" motor as the drive motor and the "rear" as the boat prop, then you could switch between them with a 3rd channel. You could also have both running at once, if you needed to, to get in/out of the water more easily. Not necessarily a cheap solution, but it might work really well.

Here's an idea... Crawler ESC with "dig". Crawlers use dig to shut off or lock one motor for maneuverability, but if you just designate the "front" motor as the drive motor and the "rear" as the boat prop, then you could switch between them with a 3rd channel. You could also have both running at once, if you needed to, to get in/out of the water more easily. Not necessarily a cheap solution, but it might work really well.

Now that is interesting . i'll look deeper into this ;)

Any crawler fans who can tell me what speed i'd get from a 35t motor driving RC4WD T Rex 60 axels via a R1 transfer box ?

Any crawler fans who can tell me what speed i'd get from a 35t motor driving RC4WD T Rex 60 axels via a R1 transfer box ?

Can't answer the question other than to say the R1 box allows an huge range of pinion sizes. I run my R1 with a mid range pinion (16 tooth) and a 450 sized heli outrunner motor (3550kV on 2S) - its plenty quick enough as a rock racer. Assuming the t-rex axles are similar gearing to the R1 ones, i'd suggest you go for a higher turn motor than 35, something more like 45/50 would be better as you still have plenty of scope with pinion sizes (i think the R1 offers 10 - 20tooth)

Can't answer the question other than to say the R1 box allows an huge range of pinion sizes. I run my R1 with a mid range pinion (16 tooth) and a 450 sized heli outrunner motor (3550kV on 2S) - its plenty quick enough as a rock racer. Assuming the t-rex axles are similar gearing to the R1 ones, i'd suggest you go for a higher turn motor than 35, something more like 45/50 would be better as you still have plenty of scope with pinion sizes (i think the R1 offers 10 - 20tooth)

Thats worth knowing . I'am still very much at the design stage and looking at all the options . Thanks Mate .