TwistedxSlayer

ESC going low voltage under full throttle.

Afternoon all,

Having an issue with my TB-01 at the moment.

Currently it's got a Mtroniks 11x2 motor with a Viper RV11 ESC. Running both a 3300Nihm and a 4600NiHm with a Flysky Rx.

When I drive it nicely and slowly there is no issue, how ever when I give it full throttle, the car cuts out, and the ESC cuts out giving the impression its low voltage.

I've been told the motor is drawing too many volts under full throttle. My question is....

Why has it starting doing this? Both batteries are brand new. I can't afford to go Lipo or BL.

How can I remedy this issue ?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

It sounds like your motor is drawing, or trying to draw, more amps than your batteries can provide.

I don't know if you have the option to fit a smaller pinion gear on the TB-01 but that would be worth looking into. It would cut your top speed but improve acceleration and make it a bit easier for your motor to spin up.

Is the timing of your motor adjustable? If it is, running less advanced timing will lower the current draw.

If that doesn't work or can't be done, you probably need to look at a tamer motor. An 11T is a bit of a beast, maybe a 15T - 18T would be more suitable.

• Like 1

It's running a small pinion for rapid acceleration anyway, I don't use my car for its top speed. It's been running 11t for a long time. I don't know if it is adjustable timing. Before I started running 3300nihm, I was only using 3000nihm, 2400nihm and 1800nicd. And never had an issue.

Should be fine with those connections, sounds like Super Gripper's suggestion is the way forward then?

Hobbyking have them for a couple of quid. There are larger capacity items on eBay at 8-10 times the price also.

Ordered one off eBay. By the time I'd paid shipping on hobbyking, it was working out more expensive.

did you get an RX cap or an ESC cap?

Ok chaps this is what you do.

You buy the one from Hobbyking or one that looks the same.

You DO NOT plug it in to the receiver, you cut the plug off, solder the red wire in to the battery positive about half an inch from the esc. Solder the negative the same, half an inch from the esc.

Job done B)

• Like 1

Power capacitor attached to the receiver would do the trick with no issues. Very common issue with low turn motors. Its actually the receiver 'browning out' not the esc. the esc drags the current from the motor and the receiver then doesnt have enough power to power itself and it temp shuts down.

I bought 2 from local maplin store for 49p each. If you pm me your address i can send you one pre attached to the proper connector for the receiver mate. Edit ...... just realised you bought one.

James

:)

Ok chaps this is what you do.

You buy the one from Hobbyking or one that looks the same.

You DO NOT plug it in to the receiver, you cut the plug off, solder the red wire in to the battery positive about half an inch from the esc. Solder the negative the same, half an inch from the esc.

Job done B)

i thought the same , but , is it browning out the RX or is the esc going into cut off ? which is why i asked the question rx or esc cap , ;-)

Dont getme wrong it may well be the esc. But i have never had an esc cut out like that not straight away. The esc would get hot first then it would thermal. I have had to run a receiver capacitor in my trf415 and my trf502 race cars as the receiver would brown out under full throttle. Its an unbelievably common issue.

But fitting to the esc wires or the receiver has the same effect for helping the receiver. as the receiver draws current from the esc so fitting one to the escwires will still power the receiver under full load temp. Same as fitting it to the receiver directly. I have one fitted directly to my rx as we speak in the db01r to solve the exact same issue.

He has bought it anyway, so least he try itplugged into the receiver and if that doesnt work, snip the wires and attach to the esc wires. :)

James

Its the same capacitor bud, just fitted in a different place :) When it arrives try just plugging it into the receiver and it will solve the issue, if not then snip the wires and attach to the esc wires to be sure. The ones I got from Maplin were 4700uf 12V ones, but does the same job.

James

Plugged it into the receiver. Not cured it.

the issue you are having is nothing to do with the RX , as you said in the OP , its voltage droop from the battery at max current draw , as the batteries are new i would suggest they need waking up or are just not up to the job for that esc motor combo , try the cap on the esc and see if it helps a bit , i suspect it will only partially fix the issue , for the rv11 to cut out voltage must be dropping below 4v at max current draw , if that is the case then your packs have major issues , i have had similar issues when i used a cheap transformer based charger like the base level wall warts and some of those old school items sold by fusion hobbies etc , they killed individual cells in the packs , if you have a volt meter you can check voltage of the battery right after charging , it should be around 8v or more , anything less suggests a problem and all the caps in the world wont solve it ,

good luck with the cap , hopefully it will solve the issue .

;)

How would i 'wake' them up?

Had a multimeter on it this morning. 6.5v in the battery. Motor is drawing 1.5volts under 3/4 throttle and i cant get it to give a reading even for a split second under full throttle.

Need to charge the battery and retest it when its fully chatged to see if all the cells are coming up.