Vrooom666

Which kit to buy to take to beach hoilday?

Which tamiya kit to take to beach hoilday? that are easy to pack in suitcases, flatter and low profile the car the better, that can cope with beach running. so no lunchboxes etc.

Any suggestion?

Mad Bull!

Big tyres to cope with soft sand.

Simple drivetrain that is fully enclosed.

Simple suspension and low metal parts count, making post-run cleanup a simple matter.

About as flat a profile as you can get in a big-wheeler, making it quite easy to pack, especially if you take the wheels off.

Tough rubbery plastic chassis survives being knocked around during baggage handling.

Low price, so not a huge loss if lost in transit or nicked while on your hols.

Loads of fun to drive when you get there!

• Like 1

Agreed with the Mad Bull - but there is also something magical about taking a nicely-prepared SRB to the sands...

A beach vacation was the sole reason I acquired a Buggy Champ when I did ;)

Consider BlitzerBeetle/Stadium Blitzer/Stadium Thunder too - all the same reasons as the Mad Bull without the hideous ugliness... ;)B)

• Like 1

Mmmm beach holiday, all three of these have joint me for a trip to Siclily

CR01 FJ40

P1010609.JPG

King BF

DSC00635.jpg

and the GF01 Willy FJ

IMG_20140711_122123894_HDR.jpg

so why not bring your Lunchbox ;) (I took the bodies in a shopping bag as hand luggage no probs sofar)

Ah flat, well then maybe a DT03 with sandpaddles at the rear

Can't beat a Blitzer on the beach . Swop the rear for sandpaddles and your good to go .

• Like 1

When I moved back to the UK from Malta I fitted a DT-02, TT-02B and a DT-03 in my case :) .. with the body shells in my hand luggage. All 3 chassis are very flat but the DT-02 was prolly the best all round fit. I loved running my Holiday Buggy on the beach...

K

i'am Bias . I built a hybrid Scorcher just for beach use . Frog chassis and modified Scorcher like body . Light , fast on a Sport tuned and worked out fairly cheap to do if you forget the cost of the Lancia 37 light parts ( i still wince at the price lol )

what ever you take, just make sure it's not one of your favorites because the beach just tears them up. If your drivetrain doesn't get ground down with the sand, the screws will rust from the salt water.

• Like 1

How about a Sand Rover - surely THE beach car after all?

I have fond memories of driving on the beach with my nephew and his re-re Holiday Buggy... all it really needed was a 540 motor upgrade (which it subsequently got ;o)

Similarly the Sand Rover version is a simple car, cheap to buy - plus it has cute scale looks and is low profile for your suitcase too...

Darn, I think I've just sold myself on one!

Jx

For nostalgic reasons I would give a limb to have a SRB Scorcher on the beach, but the beating the beach puts on a car would have me questioning my sanity. A Frog has a lot of fun on a beach and is a little easier on your sanity. Agreed on the Mad Bull being a great beach basher.. It doesn't get so polluted with sand, the design of the car prevents it from getting beat up so bad, the tires seem to relish in the sand, it works great at the beach. Last year my Frog never got run, and the two Mad Bulls (thanks Speedy) saw the beach each and every time and I didn't have to spend hours tearing them down after the sand.

Either way, have fun!

Consider BlitzerBeetle/Stadium Blitzer/Stadium Thunder too - all the same reasons as the Mad Bull without the hideous ugliness... ;)B)

:o Ouch!!!

+1 for the Mad Bull, perfect car for the beach.

I actually like madbull..

but i wonder what tamiya Sandrover look like with madbull/lunchbox wheels... lol

• Like 1

but i wonder what tamiya Sandrover look like with madbull/lunchbox wheels... lol

Monster Buggy!

:lol: OK - maybe that was a bit harsh, but you have to admit the MB isn't the greatest looker...

BTW - what beach do you use? I'm guessing the picture in your sig wasn't taken in Shoreham?

I actually like madbull..

Ha! - That is why I was thinking about buying one! ;o)

Jx

Have to agree, madbull would be perfect for beach running! Not the prettiest Tamiya though

:lol: OK - maybe that was a bit harsh, but you have to admit the MB isn't the greatest looker...

BTW - what beach do you use? I'm guessing the picture in your sig wasn't taken in Shoreham?

I love the look of the Madbull but each to their own ;)

Pic was taken at the Bmx track in Shoreham, if I want sand I have to go to Worthing at low tide!

madbull-2.jpg

Nice pic - never checked out the BMX track. I'm sure somebody tried to organise a meet there a while ago though... maybe should try again!

Shoreham? i grew up there.... i remember bmx track... and Vert bmx ramp. i left there in 1991 ish...

The nearest beach to here is about 500 kms away (unless you count lakeside beaches thats about 100 kms) but if I was to visit I would choose either the Stadium Blitzer or Lunch Box B)

This spring I took the Stadium Thunder to a beach with loose sand - it hasn't performed very good! 2WD withoout locked diffs and the pretty slippy stock tires resulted in a lot of issues in rough sand ....

Consider the ideas of "waterbok": CR-01 has great performance, but is slow (Crawler), the Wheely/Monster trucks give you 2WD driving fun with acceptable performance if you dont try to drive in the dunes ...

The very best fun is the sand scorcher with sand paddle tires (plz. search on youtube - you'll find great vids!) :D
  • Like 1