XV Pilot

An M-03 Monte Carlo Mini (re)build that is!

As promised in my thread about my M-05 Monte Carlo Mini that turned into a Fiat 500, here we will see where the Mini shell is going.

My M-03 chassis was an enjoyable and capable race machine in its day, however with the arrival of the M-05 in my fleet, it is now free to fulfil its destiny as a rally car.

My aim with this build is not to construct a rally monster that boldly takes on jumps that would give a buggy nightmares - I already have a modified TT-01 Mitsubishi Evo VI rally car for such occasions. Rather, this car is going to be one that is happy on tarmac and smooth gravel, hopefully giving a life-like performance while looking the part, much like my M-06 Alpine A110.

Anyway, enough waffle. On with the build!

First step (as I dislike it most and like to get it out if the way) was to trim the shell. This I thankfully managed to do without ruining it, so I went on to mask and spray the arches and side skirts in PS-5.

P_20150311_131739_zpss9gcvanm.jpg

Going Paddy Hopkirk with this one XV ? Go on you know you want to :D How cool would it look next to the M-06 Alpine A110 ?

Going Paddy Hopkirk with this one XV ? Go on you know you want to :D How cool would it look next to the M-06 Alpine A110 ?

I can't say I'm not tempted... :)

I can't say I'm not tempted... :)

i know you are lol . Be nice to see a period correct mini .

Looks like a good start XV. If you're going down the classic white roof, red body colour scheme, will you mask off the roof first and spray the body red? Then unmask the roof and spray the whole inside white? That's what I was thinking to do with mine but it'd be good to get someone else take on it.

This is typical... you wait ages for someone to do a Rally Mini build and then a load come along all at once :) I've got my TL based 4x4 Rally Mini underway ATM too!

Looks like a good start XV. If you're going down the classic white roof, red body colour scheme, will you mask off the roof first and spray the body red? Then unmask the roof and spray the whole inside white? That's what I was thinking to do with mine but it'd be good to get someone else take on it.

This is typical... you wait ages for someone to do a Rally Mini build and then a load come along all at once :) I've got my TL based 4x4 Rally Mini underway ATM too!

Aye, that is the plan. When the weather improves again, I will be masking the roof and windows, then spraying the body with PS-2 red. Once that is dry, the roof will be unmasked and sprayed with PS-1 white. The final step will be to unmask the windows and spray a light coat of PS-31 smoke to tint them and hide the chassis gubbins.

Do you have a thread going on your Mini project?

As the weather is no longer suitable for painting, I am getting on with the chassis. I took it apart and gave it a good cleaning a few days ago, so everything is ready to go back together.

P_20150311_131903_zpskavu9gwo.jpg

The metal bits got a good soaking in WD40, and are nice and shiny again.

P_20150311_135858_zpstqcojzvp.jpg

The car was ballraced when I first built it, but with metal shielded bearings. Since it will now be seeing a whole lot more dirt, these are being replaced with rubber sealed bearings for ease of maintenance.

P_20150311_134908_zpss8r5azrg.jpg

With bearings in place and some fresh grease on the gears, the chassis can be closed up and the suspension reattached.

P_20150311_141656_zpsbjeacjas.jpg

I was hoping to be able to use the TL-01B kick-up front bumper as it bolts straight on and is far better for offroad use, but the Mini shell doesn't have room for it, so the standard bumper is fitted.

Battery retainers from the M-05 provide a lot more protection to the ends of the battery compared to the standard M-03/TL-01 items, so they have been fitted to the car.

P_20150311_162412_zpsaynkz15f.jpg

• Like 1

The Sport Tuned motor had a cleaning with motor spray followed by a drop of oil on the bushings. Nice to see the pinion is still good as new.

P_20150311_163640_zps1mep66pw.jpg

The car is fitted with Ansmann alloy oil shocks rebuilt with Tamiya seals and a 2mm internal spacer. These are a bit longer than the Super Mini CVAs that the chassis wore in race guise, and should provide some useful extra ground clearance.

P_20150311_182558_zpsecryjz5k.jpg

I fitted the car with a Tamiya M-03 motor "heatsink".

P_20150311_182650_zpsw3vzdwmz.jpg

Considering that its only contact with the motor is via the motor mounting screws, its cooling abilities are highly suspect. However it looks nice and shiny, complements the alloy shocks, and acts as a counterweight to the off-center motor, so it has its place.

The radio gear is back in place, consisting of a basic servo, stock ESC and Spektrum RX.

P_20150311_182720_zpslq5cglmj.jpg

And that brings us to where we are now:

P_20150311_182853_zpshb0usbd3.jpg

Further progress on the chassis will have to wait for the arrival of the wheel bearings. I ordered 1150s for it, forgetting that this car started life as a M-04L, which of course uses 1050s.

Painting will hopefully continue tomorrow if the weather cooperates. Stay tuned! :)

Today dawned bright and sunny without any significant wind, so painting could proceed.

P_20150312_141942_zps7vliewsk.jpg

All in all I am quite pleased with the results - there is some very minor bleed, but nothing that won't be hidden by the decals, which I will make a start on this evening.

• Like 2

Thanks!

Decals are going on slowly and carefully:

P_20150313_185325_zps25xiptmb.jpg

I started with the window frames, as I was keen to make sure that they hid the minor paint bleed around the window masks. All is well-they did.

I also added a strip of thin black automotive striping tape along the roof edge, as this is shown as black in the box art, even though the decals supplied for this purpose are white for some reason.

Headlight and taillight decals next...

All looks excellent, too bad about the bearings as I have some APEX rubber shielded here in that oddball size of 5x10 or 1050, I don't know that I will get to put them to use, but you never really know. What wheels would you say you are going with?? Standard grey, painted grey, perhaps plated???? There are a few nice choices now it seems. I have a few M builds to do myself and have a few done, but I just don't seem to post them up as often as I should.

I really am looking forward to the red as I have a lightweight bodyset here that seems to be begging to come out and play, but what I really am tempted to do is order a rally bodyset and then slap on the old chrome bits from the first body version and paint it all red and keep the decals to a street level.

Thanks for the tip on the M05 battery endplate, might have to try that. What brand pinion are you using and is it steel or alu??

The wheels are going to be silver plated Minilites wearing 55D radials.

The pinion is a steel RW Racing item.

The rally bodyshell comes with two sets of decals - rally and street. The rally bumper sprue also comes with street- style license plate holders.

Looking forward to seeing your build threads!

I wish I could put some build thread photos up, but now that they are all done up, will have to suffice with just a TC showroom post page with as many detail photos I can cram in there. I haven't figured out how to do the photo posts in the forums yet, I am utterly computer illiterate. I guess I should count myself lucky that I can freaking type for real and not hunt and peck. :o IF it weren't for the emoticon button, I would never get any blandness out of my posts. :D I like the Ansmann dampers, would love to find some for sale in the states, perhaps a part number of the ones you have here and if you know of any that are closer to the Tamiya proper M length, that too would be great as I like the colorations and I bet the prices are much better than Tamiya's anyway. Now on to figure out where to buy Super Mini CVA piston rods only as I have a full box of damper discs and a few extra shock bodies and no piston rods for them. :unsure: I also think I have a couple incomplete sets of aftermarket shocks to figure out how to make a matched set of as well. The work goes on and on and on. I feel like the Energizer Bunny when I think of all the projects I would like to do.

I like the Ansmann dampers, would love to find some for sale in the states, perhaps a part number of the ones you have here and if you know of any that are closer to the Tamiya proper M length, that too would be great as I like the colorations and I bet the prices are much better than Tamiya's anyway.

Unfortunately Ansmann have pulled out of the RC market. Most of their products are now sold by Team C and Absima, some with minor changes.The shocks are still available as Absima part no. 2330004, but they are now black in colour, not silver. You could always de-anodise them I suppose, or try to find the Fastrax equivalents that are sometimes still available in silver.

In other news, the shell has light and handle decals, and the holes for the accessory plastics have been drilled. I put them in place temporarily to get an idea of how it will look when done:

DSC04644_zpsle8ni1vd.jpg

I also propped the wheels under the bodyshell for a quick poser shot:

DSC04649_zpsoj30w7h3.jpg

I do like the looks of a classic Mini! Now to decide the decal scheme - '64 Hopkirk or '94 Mäkinen.

There are advantages to both options.

Mäkinen:

- I have the decals to hand.

- The lights, bumpers, wheel arches and wheels are accurate for the '94 car, but not the '64 one.

- I have a Mäkinen-liveried Evo VI in my fleet already, so I could have a bit of a theme going. (Yes I know it is a different Mäkinen, but I can still have a Flying Finn theme.)

Hopkirk:

- The decals come pre-cut.

- The Hopkirk car has a more important place in Mini history than the Mäkinen car.

- I have a Renault Alpine A110 in my fleet from the same era already, so I could have a bit of a theme going.

I shall no doubt end up following standard Tamiyaclub policy in such cases and do one of each at some point. The issue still remains though - which to do first?

Ah, the all important decision, which to build or build both. Bummer, I would have to build both. I guess I am a bit puzzled still, but I blame that on the fact I am blond. Is it correct to assume that they RALLY Mini body/kit that you bought came with BOTH rally and standard street chrome front grilles???? I think you mentioned it before in the post, but I would like to clarify it for my own sake. Now I feel a bit taken that I didn't buy the bodyset yet myself.

Also, good to hear I can get the shocks, albeit from another maker, but I am not too opposed to black and, as you mention, I could just strip them back and buff them up nice and shiny.