GTodd

Egress or Super Hot SHot?

Good afternoon all. So I received a nice tax return. I need to add one of these bad boys to my stable. Ive had numerous Avantes, still have a runner BS, and my original Top Force. I havent owned anything related to the hotshot family of cars.

So the question. Super Hot Shot or Egress? Money isnt a consideration, but I cant buy both. Im guessing the new Egress has proven to be as good as a runner and durable as the new Avante. Hows the Super Hot Shot?

I get the Egress is probably worlds better performance wise but I really odnt care about that. Im not a racer anymore.

So lets hear your thoughs and see some pictures!

I have both, but only recently got the Egress, so haven't driven it yet. I really love my Super Hotshot, and I think it is the best looking buggy Tamiya has made. It was a real must for me, to get this while it came out.

I have no feelings for the Egress, and joined the party quite late after release. But I am certainly impressed, it was a real blast to build, and everything is really great quality. Here we see what Tamiya is capable of.

It is difficult to advise one of the, but if I should start over, I think I would favor the Super Hotshot, especially when you have been building Avantes, then the Hotshot is more something else to try. But both buggies are awesome imo.

• Like 1

I have both cars and i have driven both cars, and for me the choice is easy, I'll chose the Egress.

I also had both cars as a kid, and i remember the super Shot being a real hassel to work on, since all electronics was closed inside the body. Off course this has Changed now that you have esc and the Inspection hatch, i would think that helps.

I think The Egress smother, quicker, lighter and a more advanced car than the super hotshot. But witch one would be the most fun to run, I'm not sure of.

Indees. The Egress is undoubtedly the superior car from a design and performance standpoint. However it is very similar to the Avante. The Super Hotshot (or the IMHO far more iconic and interesting monoshock-equipped original Hotshot) on the other hand is quite different, and while not as capable as a racer, is nonetheless still an enjoyable drive.

So the question is really: Are you looking for more of the same or do you fancy a change?

Egress is much better if you want a runner. Dual ball diffs make the car much more exciting to drive. It's also more tune-able and easier to maintain. Better gear options offer a much wider selection of motors. It is by far more enjoyable to actually drive.

Hot shot has awful steering and is awful to work on if something inside the drivetrain lets go. Motor options are very limited due to few pinion sizes available.

• Like 1

I personally believe you should go for the Super Hotshot. With your experience with Avante runners, an Egress could become a side project, whether by acquiring one later or by building one from parts (may need a few tax returns for that :P but a different build experience!). The Super Hotshot is something different but also a chassis associated with more than one model - so like with the Avante 2011 leading to a Black Special or a Vanquish or an Egress, so too can a Super Hotshot lead to a Hotshot. There are more opportunities for different avenues of RC car types with a different chassis.

That being said, you do sound better-equipped spares-wise to run an Egress, so for pure running an Egress may be better.

Whatever your choice may be, I know I would love to see the finished car!

I say Super Hotshot. Its a fabulous piece of engineering like the Egress but it reminds me more of 80's old school Tamiya. The Avante is also retro but its so advanced looking that it could be a buggy of today. Thats my take on it anyways. I do love that they blister packed the Egress again though.

Egress it is! Now what vender has it the cheapest????

• Like 1

I don't have either. But i would say Egress is the better model. The choice is like, would you prefer steak or a burger? I would prefer the regular hot shot, because of the unique design with the mono shock and i eat steak all the time so a good burger once in a while is a good varation. :D

• Like 1