carparkthrasher

Clodbuster Twin Steering Set Up

Hi folks. I have had a search of this forum regarding the matter of twin servo set ups but am still not entirely sure of my best solution. I have an original Clod, newly built with no changes except an ESC and ball races. Whilst down the line I plan to slowly add to my credit card bill with chassis mods', 4 link etc, I would like to start by getting the steering up to scratch. I have 2 hefty servos ready for this job (one already in place of course). I see that some of the servo mount options are only really applicable if you have the 4 link, after market chassis's'ssssss (whats the plural of chassis?). I would like a solution that allows me to leave the stock suspension for the time being.

http://www.clodparts.com/products/steering/26.html

Just for clarification, I take it these mount in front of the gearbox, thus not impeeding on the stock suspension and chassis set up in any way. Firstly, has anyone used this system and what are your views are and secondly, the drawback with this mount seems to me a possible impact on how the bumper mounts, if it still can. Am I right on this? Would I need an aftermarket bumper to offer some kind of protection for thsi newly located servo?

Sorry to go over some old ground and I know that the Clodbuster is often seen as the 'Marmite' of Tamiya RC (love it or hate it) but I would like to be sure before I ook at importing bits from the States!

:D

Hi folks. I have had a search of this forum regarding the matter of twin servo set ups but am still not entirely sure of my best solution. I have an original Clod, newly built with no changes except an ESC and ball races. Whilst down the line I plan to slowly add to my credit card bill with chassis mods', 4 link etc, I would like to start by getting the steering up to scratch. I have 2 hefty servos ready for this job (one already in place of course). I see that some of the servo mount options are only really applicable if you have the 4 link, after market chassis's'ssssss (whats the plural of chassis?). I would like a solution that allows me to leave the stock suspension for the time being.

Just for clarification, I take it these mount in front of the gearbox, thus not impeeding on the stock suspension and chassis set up in any way. Firstly, has anyone used this system and what are your views are and secondly, the drawback with this mount seems to me a possible impact on how the bumper mounts, if it still can. Am I right on this? Would I need an aftermarket bumper to offer some kind of protection for thsi newly located servo?

Sorry to go over some old ground and I know that the Clodbuster is often seen as the 'Marmite' of Tamiya RC (love it or hate it) but I would like to be sure before I ook at importing bits from the States!

I have ones very similar to these and yes they will fit the stock chassis but you can't fit the standard bumper after fitting them.

As for interfering with the suspension well thats a different matter. Yes you can reassemble with all the parts it but you get even less travel before as the top of the servo hits the underneath of the chassis. It sticks out slightly higher and further than the normal edge of the gearbox. This causes you to have even less travel than normal on one side (<1 cm) of the gearbox. So the handling isn't great but the steering is much more controlled.

I would recommend fitting some sort of bumper as well, as I didn't and managed to damage the servo saver and bend the plate the servo was attached even though its pretty thick when I had a crash. The rods didn't bend though.

Alternatively I have seen the one fitted to the horizontal gearbox brace and the front shock in each case removed and this seems to work in stock and should give at least the original suspension travel :P

Hi, I have this steering set up on my Super Clod & I can safely say that it is a vast improvement on the stock set up especially for stability when running at speed. It does not impede on the suspension in any way & looks the business as well. The downside is as you quite rightly suggested is that it is no longer possible to use the front bumper leaving the whole set up exposed & vulnerable. I've already broken a servo saver after a coliision with a door! I do believe that there are some after market bumpers on the market to get around this problem. I also have the rear steering locked as well.

Hope this helps.

Hi, I have this steering set up on my Super Clod & I can safely say that it is a vast improvement on the stock set up especially for stability when running at speed. It does not impede on the suspension in any way & looks the business as well. The downside is as you quite rightly suggested is that it is no longer possible to use the front bumper leaving the whole set up exposed & vulnerable. I've already broken a servo saver after a coliision with a door! I do believe that there are some after market bumpers on the market to get around this problem. I also have the rear steering locked as well.

Hope this helps.

The plate on yours looks thicker than mine so think that is a better one to go to. I now use the Kimborough Servo Savers or equivalent of in the UK.

Still doesn't look like there is much room between the top of servo and chassis.

I have another chassis on the way so I might Dremel some out as I found on another site :D

As for interfering with the suspension well thats a different matter. Yes you can reassemble with all the parts it but you get even less travel before as the top of the servo hits the underneath of the chassis. It sticks out slightly higher and further than the normal edge of the gearbox. This causes you to have even less travel than normal on one side (<1 cm) of the gearbox. So the handling isn't great but the steering is much more controlled.

Whoops!!! forgot about that bit. I got round this by dremelling away the corner of the main chassis to allow for more suspension movement. It is just visable in the pic in my previous post.

Whoops!!! forgot about that bit. I got round this by dremelling away the corner of the main chassis to allow for more suspension movement. It is just visable in the pic in my previous post.

Great minds think alike. Do you have any top down pictures to show what it looks like from above?

Great minds think alike. Do you have any top down pictures to show what it looks like from above?

Not at the moment but depending on how good you are with a dremel it looks really good, as thoughit is meant to be like that. Another way round it is to fit a suspension lift kit like this one I have on mine. You can see that there is loads of clearance here.

Not at the moment but depending on how good you are with a dremel it looks really good, as thoughit is meant to be like that. Another way round it is to fit a suspension lift kit like this one I have on mine. You can see that there is loads of clearance here.

Thanks for the great input folks. This type of mount seems the one for me assuming I find a suitable bumper - as my driving style is (ahem) 'robust' to say the least! The work on the chassis to solve the clearance issue is a top tip. One question about the lift set as the kit I bought came with one but I haven't installed it yet. Daft question coming up but in adding the lift, do you still use the original length screw inside the friction shock? Or do you need to find longer ones? I just figured the lift would ask the shock to stretch more than it can?

Thanks again peeps!

Thanks for the great input folks. This type of mount seems the one for me assuming I find a suitable bumper - as my driving style is (ahem) 'robust' to say the least! The work on the chassis to solve the clearance issue is a top tip. One question about the lift set as the kit I bought came with one but I haven't installed it yet. Daft question coming up but in adding the lift, do you still use the original length screw inside the friction shock? Or do you need to find longer ones? I just figured the lift would ask the shock to stretch more than it can?

Thanks again peeps!

Yes as far as I know you just keep the original shocks and remove the rubber bump stops to give you lots more travel.

Out of interest where did you get the lift mounts from. I guess I could make some but if somebody has one to hand then it might be easier.

Yes as far as I know you just keep the original shocks and remove the rubber bump stops to give you lots more travel.

Out of interest where did you get the lift mounts from. I guess I could make some but if somebody has one to hand then it might be easier.

Hi Mountain, the ones included in my Ebay purchase are from Crawford Performance Engineering. They seem to sell a vast range of the many options parts available for the clod! Almost too many as it is hard to know where to start :D I think ESP also make one, just Google both and your wallet will never look back!

Hi Mountain, the ones included in my Ebay purchase are from Crawford Performance Engineering. They seem to sell a vast range of the many options parts available for the clod! Almost too many as it is hard to know where to start :D I think ESP also make one, just Google both and your wallet will never look back!

Mine also came with my Ebay purchase but I believe they are also the Crawford Engineering ones. You do not need to change the screws in the shocks. All the lift kit does is change the mounting point of the shocks to a lower position on the chassis thus lifting it higher. The shock length remains the same. By the way...I removed the rubber sleeves completely from shocks as I found this gave me even more suspension travel.