Sign in to follow this  
Plopes

Dyna Storm Re Re Re

What are the chances of another Dyna Storm re release?

When Tamiya have no more re realeses left to release will they start all over again?

Will this be the cycle for the next fifty years?

Imagine the Avante or Egress re release in 2045 ( Inconel, Titanium and Super Duper Carbon parts )

Just a thought...

Would prefer a super astute :)

It be nice to see King Cab and the Monster Racer Hi-Lux (with improved diff), Super Astute is welcome though.

Why?

lee

Because the Dyna Storn is a border line kit.

Let me explain:

The Dyna Storm was designed to be a High Performer, a pure racer kit (even if Tamiya has failed the goal).

Now the car is vintage so it is no more enough fast for races but at the same time is too much expensive, fragile and complicated for a bashing use.

Tamiya should improve many parts to make it enough strong. The re-released one had the same identical problems and frailty than original. Tamiya could easly solve the problem using grey glass filled TR-15T parts but this will further increase the costs.

Let's also consider that the Dyna Storm is not so epic and iconic like the Egress and the Avante and it remained onto the catalogue for few months only (I suppose it didn't sale many pieces) and it has also been re-released few time ago.

Same problems for the Super Astute kit, born for racing, easy outperformed by other models, fragile and full of defects. Same problems of the Dyna Storm but more than the Dyna Storm.

I believe these cars are beautiful but I really don't believe that Tamiya will release them again.

Anyway never say never...

Max

Still: a valid explanation, kontemax. As long as there are other popular models yet to be re-released, I would think that a Dyna Storm re-re-release would be unlikely. The re-release cycle may continue, but the chance of the re-re-releases being similar to the vintage models would be even smaller.

That in itself would be interesting to see, depending on how RC cars evolve. The improvements made on some models were modern types, yet the end product kept the spirit of the original, i.e.: nobody seemed to mind a whole lot when the Frog was re-released with dogbone shafts instead of the original hexagonal types. We could therefore see improvements to those derivatives of re-releases that keep with the modern times of the future, but how radical those improvements are depends on the corporate attitudes towards the re-release program. How much change would constitute a new model?

... New-design vintage model... There is an idea!

Simply-put, though, re-re-releases appear to be out of the current question when considering all the popular models that have yet to see a single re-release. That even assumes that the re-release program will continue to be popular many years from now...

P.S.: ... I have a very slender hope that the Lancia Rally will be re-re-released on the Frog chassis, since the re-release was put on the TA-03RS. But I will keep dreaming!

It's no so much us asking for a re re release, more us asking for another batch made of the re release! Same as what they have done with other models.

• Like 2

Lol they rereleased the XR311 twice and that isn't exactly a breadwinner.

Just fill the molds with the new carbon reinforced plastic, that will make a Dyna Storm stronger B)

Lol they rereleased the XR311 twice and that isn't exactly a breadwinner.

Just fill the molds with the new carbon reinforced plastic, that will make a Dyna Storm stronger B)

Agreed, carbon chassis components too, may just happen!

lee

Come on Tamiya, let's have a Dynostorm rere batch release. Some of us enthusiasts missed it the first time around... and throw in a Top Force ReRe for good measure :)

• Like 1

I really would like it.

Tamiya should re re release every re release models after a couple of years imho.

Max

• Like 1

I just got my original up and running again with pargu/nimrod racing hop ups and a 5.5, man it's a great car to drive!

If I recall, the re-release Dyna Storm must not have sold very well, because at one point Tamiya seemed to be blowing out remaining stock of these kits cheaply. You could get them for well under $200, maybe as low as $100.

So this would count against its chances of another re-release.

- J

I know the Dyna Storm is getting pretty rare, but they don't have to make it again: Apart from the gearbox all the parts can be either cut from CF plate, made with 3D printing or sourced from other cars to keep them running (or make them run better) :)

For example, I have made improved parts to replace the weak Dyna Storm and Astute parts:

IMGP9734.jpg

More pictures of the aluminium kickup chassis: http://tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=122971&id=22450

Also, you might notice some 3D printed pieces on there:

Front Uprights

DynaStormH1H2.jpg

Steering Rack

DynaStormH3H4.jpg

Front Suspension Block

DynaStormD5.jpg

Rear Suspension Blocks

DynaStormD1D2.jpg

Rear Uprights (Dyna Storm Only)

DynaStormC1C2TRF-Type.jpg

All parts have the original geometry, but use more material in critical areas and are made for M3 threaded screws instead of self-tapping ones. They are 3D printed from a Nylon material (in white or black). I can tell from my own experience and those of others that the parts are much stronger than the originals - in racing conditions and some with brushless systems! I also have all the D-parts of the Astute, upgrade parts for some modern race cars and the collection is expanding :)

If you would like any more information on the parts, just send me a PM.

• Like 1

Dyna Storm is a great car. If you fix the weak points it will be a blast on the track.

Max

Astute D parts in nylon.....PM coming as soon as I stop dancing on my lounge

• Like 1

@Max: The printed parts fix just about everything that is weak on the Dyna Storm. The alu chassis is a one-off for now, but I may look into options for a 3D printed kickup plate in the future (or an entire chassis).

@Thommo: You've received a reply :)

• Like 2

I just retired the Dyna Storm from the track :(

My Dyna Storm has all gray reinforced parts.

Now my new 2wd racer is its brother, the Dyna Blaster but I already have the gray parts for it also.

If I didn't have the gray parts I would buy your 3D printed parts for sure. I have not the gray front bulkhead for my Dyna Blaster so I will see how the original black part works. If I will have some problemwith it I will contact you for it.

I'm also planning to bring back the Astute to the track. I would like to have some 3D printed parts for it like the D parts (actually I'm using Madcap ones that are strong enough) but I would like to have them with the anti squat angle. Your parts are 0 degrees if I remember well.

I would also have same parts for the King Cab. These parts on the King Cab are massive and strong enough but yet they are 0 degrees, no anti squat.

I don't know, I'm thinking about... mumble mumble, too many projects and ideas...

Max

@Max: The printed parts fix just about everything that is weak on the Dyna Storm. The alu chassis is a one-off for now, but I may look into options for a 3D printed kickup plate in the future (or an entire chassis).

@Thommo: You've received a reply :)

I have the Pargu alloy front C-hubs and rear arm mounts and they seem to be very well made.

• Like 1