viperchief

Super Champ resto

I am in between jobs and have a few days all to myself...what better way to pass the time than work on a restoration? Thought I might try and document the process. I have two mostly complete Super Champs that I will be taking apart and plan on building one with all the best parts for the shelf and the other I might put up for sale. We will see! Starting with the front suspension first. I like to use a multi-compartment plastic box to contain all the screws/nuts/washers/small bits as I take the model apart. I find that brake cleaner works great for cleaning metal parts. The second body is presently soaking in "Purple Power" degreaser to remove the old paint.

IMG_1385_zps2ca0096e.jpg

IMG_1388_zps4a9518af.jpg

IMG_1386_zps5ea98052.jpg

IMG_1387_zps34070c1e.jpg

• Like 5

No one seems to have any love for the SC, but I've always been a bit curious about it and it's very own bottle of damper oil. I'm interested to see how this thread develops. Good luck with the resto.

• Like 1

No one seems to have any love for the SC, but I've always been a bit curious about it and it's very own bottle of damper oil. I'm interested to see how this thread develops. Good luck with the resto.

I've always loved the SC (check my avatar ;), looking forward to this thread.

• Like 1

That should turn out really nice. Keep us posted on the progress

• Like 1

....but I've always been a bit curious about it and it's very own bottle of damper oil.

= the ultimate in self-bleeding shockers :D

• Like 2

= the ultimate in self-bleeding shockers :D

The superchamp is the only electric car that you need to put a oil drip pan under when on the shelf

• Like 3

Thanks guys! Little update today...after about 6 weeks soaking in Purple power degreaser, it was time to pull the second SC body out and see if the paint was all gone. Turns out the body is almost perfect! Just a couple splits that will be easy to fix. Very happy!

IMG_1403_zps0ae029c5.jpg

This is what I started with...paid $25!!

getuserimage_zps962134d2.jpg

• Like 1

Several members just feinted when they read that you only paid $25!! ;)

• Like 1

Believe me when I tell you that once I regained consciousness, I was running out the door to get it! It was listed on a local classified website as an "old r/c car and a box of parts". They were only asking $25 so I didn't see a need to negotiate! :ph34r: I should be able to build a complete SC with vintage parts and the other will need some Buggy Champ parts.

I am fortunate enough to have two Super Champ bodies in decent shape. The mount holes in the far one need to be filled before I can use it and I'll start working these after the chassis is complete. Hope to spend all day tomorrow on it!

IMG_1408_zpsb708704b.jpg

Today I completed the front suspension. The parts are getting a nice cleaning and any corrosion removed. This is not going to be a shiny, polished, chromed show piece. I want it to be as close as possible to how it was back in the day. I did deviate with the front bumper...I don't want to pay for a new one so I used this one from RC Channel. I think is looks more scale and much improved over the kit bumper.

IMG_1409_zps61d72ec7.jpg

IMG_1410_zps36f4a5e8.jpg

You could wet sand the chassis with 600 grit paper them buff it back to a nice shine. That would get rid of all the surface scuffing

• Like 1

Heck of a find Viperchief and really looking forward to more of your posts!

Thanks NWarty! Got a questions for you guys...I noticed a difference in the front uprights between the two buggies. Anyone know why the bottom mount pads are not the same? I assume the SC, Rough Rider and the Sand Scorcher used the same parts. Maybe one pair is re-re?

IMG_1418_zps982d15d0.jpg

IMG_1420_zpsf61e8fe2.jpg

Several members just feinted when they read that you only paid $25!! ;)

Just plain disgusting! :blink:

Thanks NWarty! Got a questions for you guys...I noticed a difference in the front uprights between the two buggies. Anyone know why the bottom mount pads are not the same? I assume the SC, Rough Rider and the Sand Scorcher used the same parts. Maybe one pair is re-re?

IMG_1418_zps982d15d0.jpg

IMG_1420_zpsf61e8fe2.jpg

Hmmm , interesting , research needed

Started working on the gearbox. How it looked when I started:

23_zps0f5d5062.jpg

22_zps21fda4c1.jpg

At times like this, I am glad I have a second chassis to pull parts from!

24_zps29963d12.jpg

My best friend...Mr. Ultrasonic Cleaner! :-)

25_zpsb59d2444.jpg

Leaks just sitting there...

21_zps07fd0211.jpg

• Like 1

Nice score there buddy!

I have Mk1 uprights with the same indentation at the bottom of the casting as well as Mk2 items with and with out it. For all we know Tamiya may have farmed the manufacture of these parts out to different company's, hence the difference. That's my guess!

Shaun

• Like 1

Got a lot done today! I used a new damper oil bottle but plugged the outlet with a piece of toothpick. No oil puddles under this Super Champ! ;) I also put on black wheels with some old chrome wheel covers. I plan on installing period radio gear and MSC. Need a few more zip-ties then on to the body!

roller1_zps6c7c4012.jpg

roller3_zps62c488f4.jpg

roller4_zpse4cf78f5.jpg

roller2_zps1fc78e70.jpg

Sneak peak...

IMG_1439_zps14e52812.jpg

• Like 3

The superchamp is the only electric car that you need to put a oil drip pan under when on the shelf

nah, all the 3spds needed drippans too... :(

Are you going to spray some clear on that body?