AndyjcClod

Excuses to stop the wife moaning that you have too many R/C vehicles?

I am probably like a lot of guys out there, no matter how much I think "This will be the last model for a while" I always then seem to find the next one I want!

My wife moans about the number of R\C vehicles I have. (I don't even think I have that many at the moment!)

I have tried the following some worked some failed:

It was a bargain

No no this is the same chassis just a new body

A mate gave me this one

I have stuck new wheels on that old silver one

Swapped this from a guy at the track

Sold this to get this

I even kept one at work for 6 months under my desk

Have any of you got any advice on how to stop the wife moaning that you have too many R/C vehicles as I want more and she wants me to have less? She just dosnt seem to get that they are all different and at the weekend asked if I would sell my Falcon and my Clodbuster that I am restoring!

• Like 1

Have done all you have mentioned. My future plans are to keep new future purchases at the office false ceiling :D

After nags after nags, she eventually made me throw away 3 vintage rc cars, 2 vintage remote controller, an rc plane and playstation 2 with all the games.

I would have given it to all of you for free but she insisted it had to be removed that evening :D

It was painful but thinking back, at least she let me keep my NIBs .... phew.

• Like 1

I guess you have no kids or they are too young/old to fool the mrs.

Than say you are holding or building it for a friend.

You got it from a friend for nothing as he is not interested in rc.

Bring it home after company dinner where you won it fromba draw.

Keep it at work.

keep it at your brothers house.

in the end, there is will there is way.

• Like 1

Get her her own R/C car to drive with you.

• Like 1

Keep 'em in the attic.

Tell her not to go up there as the ladder is a 'bit dodgy' and you don't want her getting hurt.

Works for me :)

• Like 4

Get her into RC, then she can join in with always wanting "just one more"

My wife has several herself, and now wants a Tumbling Bull.

• Like 2

I used to have these discussions with my (now ex-) wife, more when I was collecting slot cars than RC's but the principle's the same.

We ended up totting up the value of my cars versus the cost of her 'leisure & pleasure' spending - non-essential clothes, shoes, handbags, perfumes etc. The difference was substantially in her favour. Then we considered the fact that most of my cars could be sold to recoup part or all of the value but her stuff couldn't.

End of argument.

As long as both of you have fairly equal amounts money to spend, what you spend it on shouldn't be an issue.

• Like 6

Get rid the wife :lol:

if you need any ammo just point to her shoe or purse collection.

• Like 3

I think my wife has given up asking lol

It was funny when we moved last year and 6 years of "collecting" had to come down from the loft and she couldn't believe how much I had up there... No hiding now as its all on show!

• Like 1

when we moved last year and 6 years of "collecting" had to come down from the loft

The reason i keep telling mine that there is no point moving house :D

• Like 4

The reason i keep telling mine that there is no point moving house :D

We aren't moving again so bring it on LOL! :)

• Like 1

Get her into RC, then she can join in with always wanting "just one more"

My wife has several herself, and now wants a Tumbling Bull.

Interesting. That is exactly the approach I took with my wife, who now has a Rising Fighter, a TL01 and a V24 RC powerboat, and who also wants a Tumbling Bull to be the next addition to the fleet!

• Like 2

My collection is our retirement nest egg luv ;) - nuff said !!

Not when Tamiya keeps re-releasing all the desirable models making those vintage parts and cars worth about a 1/4 of what they used to

• Like 1

Not when Tamiya keeps re-releasing all the desirable models making those vintage parts and cars worth about a 1/4 of what they used to

and Associated and soon perhaps Kyosho...

Who next?

Before we know it, someone's gunna resurrect defunct companies just to re-re! :P

We could have Delta, PB, AYK, Hirobo (hang on, they're still around), Bolink...

I used to have these discussions with my (now ex-) wife, more when I was collecting slot cars than RC's but the principle's the same.

We ended up totting up the value of my cars versus the cost of her 'leisure & pleasure' spending - non-essential clothes, shoes, handbags, perfumes etc. The difference was substantially in her favour. Then we considered the fact that most of my cars could be sold to recoup part or all of the value but her stuff couldn't.

End of argument.

As long as both of you have fairly equal amounts money to spend, what you spend it on shouldn't be an issue.

Very good, loved it :D Although it would have more merit if you hadn't mentioned the 'ex' part ;)

I've tried a few, even trying to tell her I am an RC orphanage!

She knows exactly what I have (can name 90% of my fleet off her head) and knows what I want. She has mentioned about if there is a end to this collecting, but the best way I keep her at bay is by buying her something nice when I make substantial purchases. She's a good girl and as long as I am not leaving her out she is relatively happy.

My friend Carlo said that you must count your models and your wife's shoes.

If there are more shoes than models she must stop to moaning.

Max

• Like 4

If only I could get away with that one Max, I would have half a house full of Tamiya! hahaha

I prity much ran out of things to say, so far the only one that gets her off my bak is, "I built it out of all those parts so I can sell it" and seems to be working ... so far until she asks when im going to sell them eh .... :/

• Like 1

Its simple guys yougo and buy a new rc then you either give the wife the money for a new pair of shoes . Know what woman will refuse that offer its work for me on a couple of times but tbh I,m lucky my wife don't moan when I buy a new rc.

mines is forever moaning, "what's that one for? I hope its going on eBay". and the other old favourite since I have 5 dyna storms is "don't you already have that".

now her indoors works for topshop and has enough clothes, that if she went out and something happened to her and the police asked me what she was wearing I couldn't even hazard a guess. :blink:

Have done all you have mentioned. My future plans are to keep new future purchases at the office false ceiling :D

After nags after nags, she eventually made me throw away 3 vintage rc cars, 2 vintage remote controller, an rc plane and playstation 2 with all the games.

I would have given it to all of you for free but she insisted it had to be removed that evening :D

It was painful but thinking back, at least she let me keep my NIBs .... phew.

I just can't wrap my head around this, she made you throw them out, you must be joking.

My wife has no interest in my hobby but can appreciate it and supports me, I am the principle bread winner in my household and I buy what ever I want. If my wife pulled a power trip on me like that over rc cars I'd really have to re-evaluate our relationship, I married her out of love not so I could have another person trying to control or nag me about my decisions.

Needless to say I've only ever had to justify my RC purchases to myself.

• Like 1

I seem to get away with this for now. No kids though, so its not complicated :)

She doesnt seem to mind, but she has her own hobbies that take a lot of her time to be fair.

My wife is into 12th Scale miniatures (dolls houses), so if she moans about my Tamiya RC's all I have to do is remind her of some of her past purchases:-

1/12 scale silver carriage clock £140,

1/12 scale hand carved 8 seater dining table £210,

2 x 1/12 scale hand made wall lamps £80.

Then there's the houses!!!!!!!

Need I say more,.

I generally live in a moan free enviroment :D

My wife is into 12th Scale miniatures (dolls houses), so if she moans about my Tamiya RC's all I have to do is remind her of some of her past purchases:- [/font]

1/12 scale silver carriage clock £140,

1/12 scale hand carved 8 seater dining table £210,

2 x 1/12 scale hand made wall lamps £80.

Then there's the houses!!!!!!!

Need I say more,.

I generally live in a moan free enviroment :D

now smarten up & hint to her than every dollhouse NEEDS A GARAGE... :)

• Like 1

Compared to adventure sports this hobby is just plain reasonable and dirt cheap by comparison. Plus, she rarely has to come get me at the emergency room anymore.

• Like 2