gibbdun

New Member needs advice on Aeromax Build

Hi I am about to embark on my first RC build The Ford Aeromax which I already have, what I need to get next is the extras and have been looking at the deal from Wonderland models, Acoms Tamiya R/C Truck Deal along with a set of bearings, Is this a good combination or can anyone suggest a better setup.

Thanks Keith

• Like 1

Hi Keith, and welcome to the club!

Congrats on getting such a nice truck! What do you mean as "extras"? Is that the Multi function unit? If that is what you want to purchase and you are looking at some Acoms radio, make sure it is compatible with the MFU before getting it. Sometimes these things work with some specific Futaba brand radiogear.

Have a good Sunday! :)

Nice kit !

I have one of these in my 'To build' pile :)

Definitely go for ball bearings over the kit supplied items.

If you are thinking of installing the 56511 MFU then do it while you are building it - easier than trying to add it later.

You might also want to think about using the matt finish gearbox & axles.

The alloy wheel options are quite expensive and personally I don't like the look of the new 20-spoke offerings but prefer the older style, sadly now discontinued and quite hard to find. If you don't like the bright chrome finish on the kit supplied wheels there is a dull chrome option to consider.

Take a look at the Tamiya website to check out the Hop-Up options for the 1/14 truck kits, oil dampers, etc...

There are lots of other suppliers who offer a wide range of parts to enhance these kits but you can easily spend more on these than the cost of the kit - ebay search on 'Tamiya 1/14' will show up a good selection of items.

Worth taking a look at the Stellamodels & Asiatees websites to see what they have to offer.

Hope to see your completed truck on TC soon.

Nice kit !

I have one of these in my 'To build' pile :)

Definitely go for ball bearings over the kit supplied items.

If you are thinking of installing the 56511 MFU then do it while you are building it - easier than trying to add it later.

You might also want to think about using the matt finish gearbox & axles.

The alloy wheel options are quite expensive and personally I don't like the look of the new 20-spoke offerings but prefer the older style, sadly now discontinued and quite hard to find. If you don't like the bright chrome finish on the kit supplied wheels there is a dull chrome option to consider.

Take a look at the Tamiya website to check out the Hop-Up options for the 1/14 truck kits, oil dampers, etc...

There are lots of other suppliers who offer a wide range of parts to enhance these kits but you can easily spend more on these than the cost of the kit - ebay search on 'Tamiya 1/14' will show up a good selection of items.

Worth taking a look at the Stellamodels & Asiatees websites to see what they have to offer.

Hope to see your completed truck on TC soon.

By the way, do you know if the MFU can be used with other radio brands like Acoms, or as it happens with the High-Lift MFU it'll only work with the specific Futaba 4x4 radio?

An MFU will work 4 channel radios that don't have digital trims. They need the analog trims as extra functions work only when the trims are set to their limits. where the problems lie are that people are trying to use them with 2.4 GHZ radios that have digital trims. If you can swing it, buy the MFU, it makes running the truck so much more fun.

Hi thanks for the reply's welcomes and web links,

I will not be fitting an MFU to start with due to funds but will add cheaper extras such as bearings a better motor? and perhaps lights? any help on the latter would be appreciated , also the Wonderland site states the Radio is compatible with the MFU but I would be visiting the shop in person so would check with them.

Thanks Keith

I feel the stock motor is more than adequate but bearings are a must.

• Like 1

I run 55 turn crawler motors in my 1/14 scale Tamiya trucks, but even that is still considered too fast by some drivers, and they will fit 8 tooth pinions in addition to 55 to 80 turn crawler motors to get slower speeds..

The stock silvercan motor is just too fast to be realistic (i.e. scale speeds), and also when trying to reverse a trailer etc..

• Like 1

Hi thanks that is what I had read about the stock motor being too fast, would I be right in saying the 80t would run slower than the 55T?

Thanks Keith

The higher the T count the slower the motor Keith . less speed but more torque- and thats what you need in a scale realistic truck

I run 55t motors in my trucks, approx half the speed of the silvercan and much more realistic. A silvercan is like doing a 1:1 scale speed of about 50kph in first, and in reality these trucks do about 20kph topped out which is far too fast and quite hairy with a trailer on!

The guys that run 80t and lower pinions usually run at events on scale roads etc where using the gears is more similar/suited to metro or around town speeds as opposed to highway use. I only use mine 99% of the time on my driveway outside my house so I think a 55t is a good compromise and still believeable speed wise.

If it were me, I would wait and save the money for a sound unit of some kind. With all the lights and sounds going it brings a whole new realm to these trucks :)

I agree with Berman, the sound units definitely do take these rigs to a new level..

But with that said, while it is easier to install one when you build the truck, it is not really that difficult to go back and install one at a later date if you cant afford to buy one for the original build....

Hi thanks for all the reply's I will probably wait until I can get the MFU before I start the build in the meantime I can pickup the bearing kit and a better motor

Thanks Keith

i wonder if they will add truck engine noises to the ESS ONE sound unit ? Far cheaper than the MFU if all your after is sound