67kev

Tinted motor/ gear covers Original Rough Rider

Hi, just wondering if anyone knows if these are available from anywhere? I'd like a new pair for my Rough Rider (bought in '80-'81), but can't find any. Even finding a decent second hand pair seems impossible :o Did Tamiya make any available for the re-release SRBs, or were they only re-made in clear plastic? Has anyone considered having a batch of tinted ones made up by a plastics company? So many questions i know, but any help would be greatfully received. Cheers, 67kev.

Could you use some of the transparent PS paints and tint some clear ones yourself?

What colour are you after?

EDIT - I believe that the correct "Tamiya" term is Translucent, not transparent..

Hi, thanks for the replies. Trying to tint new, clear covers would be my second plan of attack, but i would much prefer to obtain some factory tinted items for the sake of originality. I must admit that this has just become much more of a headache due to the fact that i have recently read that there are differences in covers on different years of SRBs :o Out of interest, can anyone post up some pics of the differences in gearbox casings/ covers so that i can be sure which type i have on my car? Thanks in advance, Kev

Cheers Backlash, i have a MK2 in that case...now just gotta find those tinted MK2 covers........

I am aware that the original SRB clear plastic had a brownish tint to them that did vary somewhat, but I thought that the variation had more to do with them being exposed to sunlight throughout their lives rather that Mr Tamiya making them that way..

As for your search.....

Try putting a wanted ad in the for sale section of the forum..

If you subscribe, you can also put a wanted ad on the front page..

Keep an eye on eBay..

Goodluck...

No, they definitely came from the factory in either clearclear plastic or brown tint. My friend bought a brand new SS in late '79 that came with clear plastic radio box, motor and gear covers, then I bought a brand new RR in '80 or '81 which came with the tinted radio box and covers. If you look at the SS and RR (shown together on the same page) in the Tamiya RC Guide Book (1980 or 1981 I think - with the blue Toyota on the cover), the contrast between the plastics shows up very clearly.I must admit that my tinted items, that were originally a 10w/40 mineral engine oil colour when new, have now faded to a kind of orangy/yellow shade, which doesn't look as great.Hope this explains what I'm trying to get across? Cheers, Kev.