Axeboy

58450 TT01R Type E Skyline R32

Hey Guys

Thought id do a simple build thread. I have a real R32 GTR that's being worked on so thought I'd try to copy it in a kit. I had a good looks around for a chassis that suits the Tamiya R32 and decided on the relatively rare TT01R type E from Tamico.

Chosen parts are:

58450 TT01R Type E Chassis

Bronze Skyline R32 Wheels from XB 57718

Skyline R32 Shell 51365

I have a set of Rota's oin Bronze for my own R32 so found those wheels the closest match. Plan will be to paint in silver the closest I can get to it.

All in from Tamico it was about £150 which isn't too bad.

The spec of the chassis includes:

EX1. Specially included is Item 53674 Adjustable Upper Arm Set (TT01, TGS) (includes blue anodized aluminium turnbuckle shafts) *Exclusive parts for TT-01R Type-E Chassis.

EX2. Specially included are the joints from Item 54026 TT-01 Aluminium Propeller Joint & Shaft Set and Item 53783 TB Evolution IV Lightweight Aluminium Propeller Shaft. *Exclusive parts for TT-01R Type-E Chassis.

1. Item 50746 CVA Super Mini Shock Unit Set

2. Item 50823 Glow Engine R/C TG10 Wheel Axle (2pcs.)

3. Item 50883 39mm Drive Shaft Set

4. Item 51023 Medium-Narrow Racing Radial Tires

5. Item 53471 Medium-Narrow 5-Spoke Wheels (Offset 0)

6. Item 53673 Toe-in Rear Upright (TT01, TGS)

7. Item 53642 5mm Aluminium Ball Connector (Blue)

8. Item 53665 TT-01 Spur Gear Set (55T/58T)

9. Item 53983 Lightly-Tuned Motor (28T)

10. Item 54025 TT-01 TYPE-E Ball Bearing Set

A wee pic of the stuff when it arrived:

2mn0wlt.jpg

As always, before I start I set everything out on the usual table:

2lxe78o.jpg

Onto step 1:

Not sure how much of this differs from a normal TT01, never had one but Im sure its pretty similar with some different parts maybe?

Anyway, first step is to attached the spur. Choice of 55T, 58T and 61T. I stuck with the 61T for now. An included bearing on the prop joint and this step was over in seconds.

2vvufe8.jpg

Step 2:

Prop shaft added. Nice blue metal parts here of course! I assume normal is plastic? Battery posts added at the same time.

jjkwhf.jpg

Step 3:

Motor attached. Kit comes with a Tamiya Lightly Tuned Motor which is handy. 22T pinion included and fitment is easy enough. Cover added on top with 4 MA3's holding it down. Fits snug and seems solid enough.

155qfc9.jpg

• Like 1

That's a nice little kit! I have a soft spot for the TT01 despite its pitfalls.

Is the R32 going to be gunmetal? I have one awaiting paint too!

• Like 1

Hi Chris

Its going to be silver, but I'll need to check the closest match as the real r32 comes in 2 different shades. I'll try to get close!

Are you going to stealth mount the shell to avoid the posts ....give it a more real look to match the 1:1

• Like 1

That's a good point Dave. I wasn't going to, but I think you make a good call!

• Like 1

Step 4:

Rear arms constructed both upper and lower. A few blue bits here, the ball joints and the adjustable turn buckles

oaskdh.jpg

Step 5:

Rear diff assembled. Nice and easy as usual with these, no issues. Little touch of anti-wear grease applied (included)

4hab60.jpg

Step 6:

Rear diff added to the chassis. Kit includes bearings. Manual included an extra sheet with an amendment to not put a grub screw in the motor cover at this point.

r2w5rd.jpg

Step 7:

Rear arms attached. Gearbox casing added which holds the arms in place. Should have said that the wheelbase can be shorted by flipping the arms over.

14mq58i.jpg

Step 8:

Rear bumper added. Small meter plates applied here with some sticky tape or glue. I used some simple rubber glue here. Seems solid enough upon construction.

os8nzq.jpg

eip9bs.jpg

Step 9:

Rear axles built. O-rings added as usual. No issues here of course.

23lmhdw.jpg

Step 10:

Enough for now, but this step brings it all together. Axles on, body mounts added (for now!), screw pins in - holding the arms on to the axle. Driveshafts in place. Lookin goooood.

2hr3jww.jpg

An interesting kit there with some nice included hop ups too, love the kit box!! Looks very smart indeed. I too have a soft spot for Skylines, but for me it would have to be a completely standard R33 GT-R in midnight purple pearl (still my realistic dream car, one day, one day :) )

Totally agree with the stealth mounts, def a must have these days for a gorgeous body like the R32 :)

James

:)

• Like 1

I never new it existed before checking Tamico to be honest. I started by choosing the shell then went looking for a chassis to fit. Thought the best option would be one of the many TT02D/S etc options but as I already had one TT02 I didn't want to waste the opportunity of a different chassis.

• Like 1

I recently put one way in the front steel universals all round and a 3 racing rear diff in my brushless chassis, these are an excellent chassis to tweak.

Step 11:

Front upper arms built. Little grease on the balls of course! :)

Not sure if these are adjustable on the normal TT01 but here it has blue turn buckle shafts that can be adjusted.

w8xj6s.jpg

Step 12:

Front lower arms.

Simple enough, similar to the rears with a long grub screw to adjust ride height I think?

vhsqk0.jpg

Step 13:

Front diff, identical to the rear, no issues, nice and easy. A simple build it is.

261ncsw.jpg

Step 14:

Front diff attached to the chassis. Two bearings and a spacer after the shaft and before the bevel gear.

2yw5slx.jpg

Step 15:

Lower and upper front arms attached to the chassis. Same as the rear pretty much.

2q86mmv.jpg

Step 16:

Front bumper attached, taking shape, but it feels like its going too quickly!

zupjf6.jpg

TT builds do tend to go quickly. It is such a simple chassis, which makes it an easy and IMO enjoyable build, but it is all over far too fast. It should be a great little runner when done though!

Less time building more time running...lol. and easy to fix in a hurry.

Welcome to the TT01R club! The only thing I didn't really like about the kit was the inclusion of the Lightly Tuned motor. I just bash around in the parking lot, and found the GT Tuned a little more suitable for my purposes. Lightly Tuned now lives happily in my Hornet.

Its likely going to not get used much to be honest, so the motor is a bonus :)

Not much time today, just a few bits:

Step 17:

Front uprights built. Usual story, little O-rings in the axle's and bearings included.

s6iz69.jpg

Step 18:

Uprights added to the chassis. Including the drive shafts/cups and some body mounts that will do for now. Once the chassis is done I'll be looking for "stealth" advice :)

258rol4.jpg

I bought 2 sets of these 020c806e62ef7a2b97197b4fe6430cb7.jpgsorry picture was sliding. 9.21$ us each set.

• Like 1

Thanks for that Dave, once the chassis is done I'll be looking for more advice for the shell!

Step 19: Damper assembly. Kit comes with black oil shocks as per the usual Tamiya way. I wont bore with pics on each step but this step is the shock body and piston.

Step 20: Oil added and the seal/cap placed on.

Step 21: Springs added. They seem quite firm to me but Im by no means an expert here!

2n2k21.jpg

Step 22:

Rear shocks added. Using long pinion style screws, a spacer and a blue ball connector :)

29puskj.jpg

Step 23:

Same as above but the fronts. Same setup but with no spacer this time.

15xvlgx.jpg

Step 24:

Front foam bumper added. The plastics on this kit are definitely better than normal. The D parts for example are of much better quality that normal kits.

scfce0.jpg

Step 25:

Steering arms and linkage done. Bearings included and I assume the normal TT01 has the plastic bushes?

I forgot to trim 2mm from each arm before fitting, doh! So had to remove and redo. Derp.

2edscwo.jpg

Step 26:

Servo done. Had a spare Acoms so that will do the job for now.

fxdt0n.jpg

Step 27:

No Speedo going on for now so this section was mainly the upper deck. No issues, seems solid enough. Motor cover and sticker added too, as well as the antenna holder.

2z3tf80.jpg

Step 28:

Tyres added to the wheels. Bronze R32 wheels here and I'll just sell the lightweight white wheels that came with it. The tyres looked super old and grey but they just needed a wipe and came back to normal.

i56ae1.jpg

Step 29:

Wheels added to the main chassis. Bearings, pins and hexes, usual. Blue nuts included in the kit. Looking not bad in my opinion.

Step 30:

Aerial added and the battery holder with two clips holding it in place.

a29pnb.jpg

Ive ordered curved scissors and a stealth body mount kit. They shouldn't be long before they are here hopefully.

Good kit, better plastics than normal and I preferred it over the TT02 for some reason, maybe its just a little more special, I don't know. Simple but effective little kit and feels like something a little rarer than the normal.

• Like 2

The R in the kit title and the boxed hop ups is what makes it a better / enjoyable build. :) I remember the first time I opened up my Raybrig NSX 99 Kit, it was a TA03R but with a load of included option parts, and the build just felt a bit more special compared to any other kit I had built for some reason.

Looks good though, cannot wait to see the body ;)

James

:)

• Like 1

Transforming my plain old TT01, into my bling machine was probably overkill but it was a sweet sense of pride when I got the work done. 86bd247b4570e3d9015e194d7de73690.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Guys

Looking for advice.

The shell comes with some choices. Needing some direction.

Comes with light buckets and stickers, Im having no LED's so I assume I just go stickers?

The car can be masked or it has black stickers for the windows, which do you think?

The lights can be masked too, I assume for LED's only, but again, any reason to mask and sticker?

So, what I plan is to mask the windows, sticker the lights. Make sense?

Light buckets look a lot more realistic, if you're not running LEDs you could just put a small bit of silver paint on a piece of tape and cover the LED hole with that.

I'd use the light masks even if you do decide to just go with stickers, then if you change your mind you can just peel them off to reveal transparent lexan underneath.

For the windows I think black stickers look too toy like. I leave them clear then fit a cockpit set. Next best is tint spray.

Although if you're planning to run this into the ground then that might all be a waste of time!

• Like 1