Sign in to follow this  
TamTom

WTB clear gearboxes

I am looking for clear gearboxes (front and rear) for the Boomerang, Hotshot, Supershot, Bigwig. Maybe someone has them?

Thanks

Thomas

Wow I had no idea there would be clear gearboxes for this chassis type. I only know about those clear gearbox parts for the first production runs of the DT-01 and DT-02.

Well, I know they existing. I just don't know if they ever have been sold in numbers. I hope someone may have such gearboxes though.

Chassis I have seen with clear gearboxes:

49174 Mad Bull Special (DT01)

58340 Super Fighter G (DT02)

Special event parts:

TA03F

M03

TL01

And I think there were some boxes for the later TRF cars, but not sure of which...

Were there other clear chassis besides these? I tried but couldn't find anything on the Hotshot/Boomerang. Do you have any pics?

• Like 1

Early production 58275 Mad Fighter came with clear smoke gearbox (+ a couple of other parts) and green and red gears too, like 49174.

1450144_10152411279367407_4635886562362410649847_10152411279377407_8812355483900

• Like 2

You mean clear gearboxes exist for those two models? I had no idea, and no pictures have shown up in a quick search... Nonetheless, I will keep an eye out for them.

Never heard about these clear parts. Are you sure? Have you some image? Are them vintage or re released? Some item number? Maybe a limited japanese market release?

Max

• Like 1

Unfortunately I do not have any numbers or a proof they have ever been sold but here are pictures from a promo model of Tamiya. So Tamiya must have produced them. I cannot imagine they did only one piece at a molding run but many. Maybe for limited sale in Japan?

20136367ru.jpg

20136368wq.jpg

• Like 2

I Think Tamiya have missed a big marketing item here.

Most of us like to have a shelf queen,

How cool would that "queen" look with clear gearboxes.

Hmmm a nice 4wd car with Clear gearboxes to see those lovely gears :wub:

Could even have clear axles on a Hi-lift or Txt

Well, my uneducated guess would be that the cleat gearboxes from the Boomerang promo video could have been a one-off.

Some say the clear parts tend to be prone to cracking, e.g. the special clear CVA dampers for the M-05. I wouldn't be surprised if the clear DT-01 Mad Fighter/Mad Bull and DT-02 Super Fighter G gearboxes shared a similar fate.

• Like 1

Clear?

Max

That's what i was thinking , when i saw this ad on TC main page .

Did i miss some thing ?. I didn't know they made them ! . Was

it a promotional thing to see the internals ??.

That's what i was thinking , when i saw this ad on TC main page .

Did i miss some thing ?. I didn't know they made them ! . Was

it a promotional thing to see the internals ??.

Obviousely :P

I know it from the official promo video from 1986 or maybe 1987. A must to see those vintage promos!

Interestingly the produced Boomerangs varied by the motor. They came in 3 type of 540 motors.

Early production had the standard early silver can with black endbell:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/pictureframe.asp?t=n&id=img15643_27102007155525_2.jpg

Mid production had the newer standard silver can with the white endbell:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/pictureframe.asp?t=n&id=img39840_29062013210304_2.jpg

And late production came with the modern type of silver can with the extended silver body which is used until now:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/pictureframe.asp?t=n&id=img37496_07112013173350_2.jpg

This is just a side note though...

I never noticed the clear gearboxes from the video because my attention was concentrated to the front mono shock.

I strongly believe that they were never produced and the parts we see in the video were made only for some fair o for the promotional video.

Anyway, there's someone that can make a better video upload with better quality? These videos are terrible.

Max

I never noticed the clear gearboxes from the video because my attention was concentrated to the front mono shock.

I strongly believe that they were never produced and the parts we see in the video were made only for some fair o for the promotional video.

Anyway, there's someone that can make a better video upload with better quality? These videos are terrible.

Max

Talk about Rere's; Tamiya should go back to the master tapes of their promotional videos and create a remastered DVD.

I would buy instantly.

Me too.

Max

Talk about Rere's; Tamiya should go back to the master tapes of their promotional videos and create a remastered DVD.

I would buy instantly.

Obviousely :P

I know it from the official promo video from 1986 or maybe 1987. A must to see those vintage promos!

Interestingly the produced Boomerangs varied by the motor. They came in 3 type of 540 motors.

Early production had the standard early silver can with black endbell:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/pictureframe.asp?t=n&id=img15643_27102007155525_2.jpg

Mid production had the newer standard silver can with the white endbell:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/pictureframe.asp?t=n&id=img39840_29062013210304_2.jpg

And late production came with the modern type of silver can with the extended silver body which is used until now:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/pictureframe.asp?t=n&id=img37496_07112013173350_2.jpg

This is just a side note though...

And this is where the plastic colours must have changed from , light blue to mid dark blue to dark blue & then the darker

blue on the rere parts . Wonder why the change ? . ok , motors would have changed with the demand , made better etc .

This is what i like about tamiya , You just never know ! what they are thinking or about to do !.

Unfortunately I do not have any numbers or a proof they have ever been sold but here are pictures from a promo model of Tamiya. So Tamiya must have produced them. I cannot imagine they did only one piece at a molding run but many. Maybe for limited sale in Japan?

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to run small batches of clear parts; I'm sure they do a series of test runs to be sure that the molds are capable of making good castings without air inclusions (bubbles). Seems like casting in clear plastic would be a simple way to inspect for even the tiniest of flaws.

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to run small batches of clear parts; I'm sure they do a series of test runs to be sure that the molds are capable of making good castings without air inclusions (bubbles). Seems like casting in clear plastic would be a simple way to inspect for even the tiniest of flaws.

A great idea - but then, what would Tamiya do with said products? If this did happen, then I would imagine the resulting casts would have been discarded once the production machinery was proven.

I am hesitant to make any further remarks since I will inevitably eat such words when one does turn up!

A great idea - but then, what would Tamiya do with said products? If this did happen, then I would imagine the resulting casts would have been discarded once the production machinery was proven.

I am hesitant to make any further remarks since I will inevitably eat such words when one does turn up!

Well, you got me there, but I'll admit I'm just guessing. Really no clue as to how they prove the molds. ^_^

However I do know that my TA03F clear chassis parts has a very tiny amount of grey colored plastic residue mixed in at where the sprue is filled at. To me that indicates that they ran some clear batches in between their regular production of grey.

Well, you got me there, but I'll admit I'm just guessing. Really no clue as to how they prove the molds. ^_^

However I do know that my TA03F clear chassis parts has a very tiny amount of grey colored plastic residue mixed in at where the sprue is filled at. To me that indicates that they ran some clear batches in between their regular production of grey.

& that's all it would be , they would just put in clear plastic in the original moulds , simple .

Nothing is different , except the colour of plastic !.

I'd guess these were very limited run, maybe even just a hand full for promo purposes...

Clear plastics are usually more brittle then ABS resin and do not stand up to as much punishment. They would have to be injected at temperatures a lot different than ABS and are also almost impossible to add any form or reinforcement to such as graphite etc. Cracking at screw points would be a major issue and even if you slightly over tighten a screw you stand a good chance of cracking the plastic. Just think back to any Airfix/Tamiya model you made and try to remember how brittle the glass parts of a kit were :)

Granted we do know have the Likes of Starex transparent ABS which could be used for injection molding but it's a bit more expensive to use, you can even tint it which is very cool... We are also starting to see clear ABS filament for 3D printing, however this still tends to produce a more frosted effect then actual clear :) ... soon though we'll be able to print crystal clear things...

I agree that for Show purposes it would be cool but the overall production cost would be very high in comparison to ABS resin.

I'm sure Mr T can make clear castings of the gear box's . sand scorcher radio box's are clear &

take a beating of sort . So they have the right mix etc too make them ?.

I beat this is all they did for the promos .

Know ! how about this idea .

Boomerang black addition .

Clear gear box's .

Coloured gears .

Clear or blue-clear shocks .

Clear or Crome wheels .

White arms or Chassis .

Just some ideas running around my head .

Now this would be worth buying , as it would be so far out of the box & new ! .

Would look so great on a shelf !.. It could be done with any of the 80's of that era ?.

I want one :D ..

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this