Sign in to follow this  
kasparov

Tamiya Fox Runner

H guys,

I just recently purchased a vintage fox of ebay and found it a tad slow, I since put a tamiya dirt tuned motor in it and it appears to be a little quicker but I still want more.

I noticed its torque is nowhere near both my hornets re release and vintage.

Is there anything I need to replace potentially or look at? I'd like to to have more torque of the start and a bit of grunt, maybe a esc?

Max

You should consider the fact that the Hornet series are very very light models with very few rotating masses and few mechanic parts.
This means that these models don't are very stable on the ground but are very fast and with a quick acceleration.
I believe that an Hornet ready to run with an heavy Ni-Mh battery weights some similar to 1.200 grams.
I believe that the Fox is not less than 1.500 grams in the same configuration.
Weight is mass and the mass is difficult to move. More mass means less acceleration.
To have the same acceleration you must reduce the mass (and the frictions) or increase the power.
Reducing the mass is a fine tuning job and it's costly.
You can start reducing the frictions with a steel pinion gear, with the modern half shafts from the Nova Fox Re Release and the ball bearings.
Then you can increase the power with a very good, bigger and faster esc. If this is not enough (the esc don't increase the battery power or the motor power but at maximum can reduce the so called "bottle neck") you must choose for a faster motor.
Another solution is to adopt a modern Li-Po battery that is lighter (almost half weight) than old Ni-Mh but you must replace also the charger.
Reducing the weight on a Fox is a dirty job. The first idea that comes in my mind is the Titanium screws that weight 35% less than steel screws but they cost too much, it is a non sense. I've no other idea to reduce the weight on this model. It's almost all plastic made.

Performances are expensive.

Max

• Like 1

Good! These are the first steps to have a better and more effcient runner.

If you can change all the wires with gauged modern wires and use gold plated connectors on the battery and on the motor. They took better the elettricity. This would help the performances.

Max

Thankyou very much for the information kontemax, I will look at ball racing and getting an esc.

Max