Sign in to follow this  
Torhaantje

Ts paint on lexan bodies?

Hi all,

I was wondering if it possible to spray TS paint on the inside of a lexan body and have a good result. Point is I have to use dark brown ( like TS 1) for a certain colorscheme, but Tamiya hasn't got it in her PS range. Or is there another brand that has this color in stock?

Thanks,

Rick

I'm afraid I don't know of a brand of brown PS paint (although I will also be looking for one soon) but I do know that TS paint flakes off Lexan if it flexes.

Hi Guys, If you want use TS on lexan you need to spray a coat of PS on the outside first to act as a primer then follow with the TS. obviously you can only paint from the out side of the body. Works well, I do it often. Cheers

Hi Guys, If you want use TS on lexan you need to spray a coat of PS on the outside first to act as a primer then follow with the TS. obviously you can only paint from the out side of the body. Works well, I do it often. Cheers

Of first paint with PS55 flat clear on the inside, then follow with TS.

• Like 1

Does that approach give enough adhesion on a runner shell?

Does that approach give enough adhesion on a runner shell?

I haven't run enough to conclude that adhesion is as good as with only using PS, but so far there haven't been any problems and I know about others who have done it that report good results too. Gloss paints will generally be more prone to cracking that matt paints will, so whenever possible, I'd rather use flat than gloss TS-paints on lexan. Painted on the inside, flat TS will look glossy anyway.

I've found the Humbrol Matt spray varnish sticks extremely well to lexan. I've matted a few shells in the past and sprayed ordinary model paint from cans or acrylics through an airbrush on top and not had anymore noticeable cracking, flaking or peeling than you'd expect from polycarb paint. That's painting on the outside of the shell.

OK, turning the original question completely around, what happens if you use PS paint on a hardbody ?

Wife now wants a Hello Kitty themed WW2 and I found 6 cans of PS11 in my stash - a model shop was closing down so I bought all the Tamiya paint they had for a bargain price.

Never tried PS paint on a hardbody, don't want to mess it up.

Please have a look on the inside of your lexan bodies sprayed with PS paint. You'd get a similar dull finish on your hardbodies. Since PS paints dry out rapidly on purpose, the finish may not be pleasantly even.

I think you may like the results of TS paints better on your Hello Willy Wild Kitty 2. :)

OK, turning the original question completely around, what happens if you use PS paint on a hardbody ?

works fine if you want the matte finish

If you don't do some wet coats of TS clear over it, it'll gloss up more.

Wife now wants a Hello Kitty themed WW2

Might have to rethink mine now then. I've got some ideas.