Grumpy pants

Favourite Box Art, What's Yours?

I'm still very green behind the ears on the whole Tamiyness and I'm not overly bothered by NIBs, but this might be changing......slowly but surely.

I realised recently that whilst I am not into the Frog in anyway shape or form, I really, really like the box cover. It is one of my favourites so far.

I'm also a massive fan of the M38 WW and this is most defiently a NIB I would own just for the box art and NIB experience.

Anyway, I would be interested to know which ones are you favs and maybe if you know why, then why!

I don't think I've a favourite, but I prefer the artist illustrations over the photographed box art. There was something so much more dynamic about the paintings as the cars were often painted in a pose to depict motion, like cornering at speed. Some even had rooster trails coming from the ground under the wheels. Much more exciting than a photo of a model just sitting there.

• Like 1

I always really liked the artwork and the proportions on the Wild Willy Jr box.

0CE0965D-9BD5-46D2-80F8-FFC2F2080731_zps

Including this little cartoon on the side :)

0F27108C-3035-4504-87B1-2C75FCE6300D_zps

Be nice to get the full size WW looking like that. I had thought it maybe possible to fit a WW2 body onto a heavily modded CC01 chassis but even with some drastic body shortening it was going to be far too wide to work.

Edit: Thinking about it that's probably where my desire to create a TL based WW2 originated.

05423B18-0E36-41A7-801C-B2CE093F1149-235

• Like 1

I think my avatar gives it away but I love the Blackfoot boxart (as well as the truck itself). Not least because it has my son's name down the side of the truck (Jake).

dd3667cf3863bf560de051073be2a3eb.jpg

• Like 2

I think its the backfoot for me too, purely as its the one I remember most as a kid.

Looking up high at Mackays models in Paisley, it was about 4 meters up... looked awesome. Never got one then, but my my they looked good. Shame the shop closed down, its was Aladdin's cave of sweet sweet tamiya fun

• Like 1

Box Art is another form of advertising/marketing to get you to buy. I would say tbe best box art is the kit that got you to buy it without you knowing too much about the kit.

I can't name one as they are generally very good, especially Tamiya's Static line up. The worst i can say are their TRF, is just a box/pizza box with TRF and some letters and or numbers after that , not much imagination. I guess the box wants to say i am all business.

• Like 1

Predictable but for me it has to be the Sand Scorcher . Its just so iconic

• Like 1

Tough question, that's like asking which of ya kids is ya favourite.

I really like The Frog art work. Looks like it's goin a million miles an hour with the rear Super Grippers a blur of straight lines.

I think the Grasshopper and Hornet are pretty cool too.

• Like 1

Box Art is another form of advertising/marketing to get you to buy. I would say the best box art is the kit that got you to buy it without you knowing too much about the kit.

Like the people who were probably not expecting the Lancia Rally...

Tamiya-Lancia-Rally.jpg

... to look like this!

58040-Lancia-Rally.jpg

I wonder if it is one of the biggest discrepancies between box art and model, although the Audi Quattro and Opel Ascona did not give too much away, either. For its quality, the absence of the rear spoiler from the rear window is jarring to me.

Box-art wise, my favourites are the Striker and the Astute:

box1.jpg

(oddly enough, I cannot find an image of an Astute box without being warned about hotlinking)

Even if many think the Striker did not look that great, I still think it was quite dynamic on the box, as is the Astute!

For dynamics and in general strange suspension behaviour, though, the Dyna Blaster is right up there:

IMG_1952-800.JPG

(but if the wheels were spinning on this illustration, it could be an epic four-wheel drift!)

• Like 1

Two honourable mentions already, the 959 with its Haynes style open view, and the clod with its taller than a building ground up shot. I also like the grasshopper box as it looks like a lean racing machine.

But my first place award (off the top of my head) would have to go to the Frog for its 'mid flight epic launch into the stratosphere balls out' box art. If that didn't account for half the kids buying frogs then it must have been the pink pinstripe.

DwwA5VtRkCnlrMk28NygVEzQP6ioepfwVv4Fh35V

• Like 3

When I first saw that the Frog had spikes on the rear tires, I was sort of disappointed, because I had hoped they were just grooved like the front ones. I realize now, of course, that grooved rear tires would be useless on anything but paved surfaces, but I thought they looked cool.

I like the "action shot" ones better than the poses, especially the Frog, Hotshot, and Hornet. If only you could get that sort of steering lock out of an actual Hotshot... it might actually turn corners then.

• Like 1

Guys, I totally agree with you about the Frog box art. There is so much dynamic going on there. I think I would like its art even more than the actual model.

• Like 1

The Porsche 959 surely has the finest box art.

• Like 1

Grasshopper for me, the one I so badly wanted as a kid!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/shane320i/Tamiya_Grasshopper_BoxArt-1.jpg

Look, there's a rear trailing arm suspension. :)

I wonder if the boxart is intentional this way, or if there ever were initial plans to release the Grasshopper with this type of suspension instead of the solid rear axle we all know.

• Like 1

Look, there's a rear trailing arm suspension. :)

I wonder if the boxart is intentional this way, or if there ever were initial plans to release the Grasshopper with this type of suspension instead of the solid rear axle we all know.

I hadn't noticed that before! That's intriguing.
  • Like 1