Pintopower

Midnight Pumpkin Correct and Functional Tail Lights. Finally

Let is be clear, I love the Midnight Pumpkin. I got mine as a birthday present in 1992 when I was 12 and have been driving it ever since. The only thing I think I hate about it are those asinine tail lights. I would not have minded if the correct units were not a work of art, but they in fact are one of the design elements that made the '53-'56 Ford trucks so good looking. Now, finally, after all these year that Tamiya has been making the MP, we can now chop off those disgraceful tail lights and add the correct ones.

Here are some of the 3D modeling shots I took:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=74274

15626053182_c8e01eee6c_b.jpg

These will replace the stock units once removed from the tail gate. The inner face of the tail gate where the tail lights were will need to be ground flush and then these may be glued in place on the back of the tailgate. They will then poke through the original slots in the body without modifying the body at all.

Why are they clear? They light up! You will need to paint the non-illuminated ares with silver so that the light does not pass through and then install a super-bright LED internally so that the LED will have enough intensity to make the lamp glow.

IMPORTANT NOTEl The inside of the tailgate also must be shot silver if the body is a light color to prevent light penetration. This is on the white styrene version of the shell.

15438578959_2664fb387b_b.jpg

Painted:

15439222967_cea26f6813_b.jpg

LED powered in a dark room. The lamp does not show that bight but it can be seen at night without a problem.

15005055953_e51a95cfed_b.jpg

Before:
15439624640_5cd6373274_b.jpg

After:

15004460434_7fec78e3af_b.jpg

There. That's better.

These can be printed in clear acrylic (as I did) but you will lose some of the fine details. It can also be printed in a super fine acrylic that is a bit of the foggy side which I have not tried but the finish is much better.

If you are interested, they can be found here after the 25th of October:

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/AmPro?s=0&section=Tamiya+Midnight+Pumpkin

I hope you like!

• Like 1

Awesome! They look good and the fact they light up if needed is even better!B)

The pumpkin body has so much potential especially Tamiya other side is static model. As i mentioned before, Tamiya just need to pick up any hot rod magazine to get ideals. But for reasons we don't know or understand, we got the current pumpkin. :angry: Maybe is RC, no protruding parts that can be easily break off.

Just look at the King Hauler... wiper blades, seperate exterior fuel tanks, air cleaner, interior, mesh screen for radiator, metal smoke pipe and heat shield, metal rods for grab bars and side mirrors and all lights found can be fitted with bulbs. Thats what i call attention to details. Maybe the designers 20 years ago were allow to include was he/she sees fit, now is do it cheap and make it quick.

On 25/10/2014 at 8:00 PM, Pintopower said:

These will replace the stock units once removed from the tail gate. The inner face of the tail gate where the tail lights were will need to be ground flush and then these may be glued in place on the back of the tailgate. They will then poke through the original slots in the body without modifying the body at all.

Have you got a picture of the inside of a tailgate modified for these ?  Just slicing the old taillights off isn't enough is it ?

On 3/6/2017 at 6:09 AM, StrokerBoy said:

Have you got a picture of the inside of a tailgate modified for these ?  Just slicing the old taillights off isn't enough is it ?

I think all you need to do is trim the inside area flush. It is actually a simple install. I think my video goes into more detail. Most of the work is in fact working up the courage to cut off what usually breaks off anyway...hahah!

Yeah, I've got an old tailgate from my original MP with the FORD logo on, where both taillights snapped off years ago.  I'll work it out, ta.

21 hours ago, StrokerBoy said:

Yeah, I've got an old tailgate from my original MP with the FORD logo on, where both taillights snapped off years ago.  I'll work it out, ta.

You are golden then. If you shave the rear face where they inserted into the slot on the body the tail lamps will go right on.