Sign in to follow this  
Shaggy39

Can anyone recommend a rock racer?

Like the look of the gmade r1 but not sure of its higher speed capabilities

Wraith is an obvious Option and I know the aftermarket mod options are vast but not sure about the looks

Really want a more non scale crawler looking vehicle (like the r1) that i can fit an 8.5 or lower into and thrash it off road

Any ideas?

I'd say you were limited to three options..

Gmade R1 - the oldest deisgn, well built but maybe not the best for rock racing - the weak link is the hex drive pins which struggle to handle big power or heavy alloy wheels.

Vaterra Twin Hammers - great bit of kit, huge range of mods and can be very robust

Axial Waith - huge range of options, hop ups or downright extreme changes - massively capable and can be configured in many ways (I have mine set up for FOFF), but its easy to double your initial outlay in hop-ups, and spending more isnt too hard either !

IMG_0980_zps6984b831.jpg

I'd also say the Axial Yeti but there's been so many issues with parts not being suffient for stock power that i'm not sure its a great start point - most guys on rccrawler have added another $300-400of hop-ups and extras to get their model the way they want it.

If you can live witht he lower ride height and battery access/maintenance issues then the Axial EXO is a very capable model

• Like 2

Thanks Percymon really appreciate the suggestions. I think the wraith is the obvious choice as I love hopping up and if I can change look all together then great!

Is that yours on pic?.....its booootiful

Thanks Percymon really appreciate the suggestions. I think the wraith is the obvious choice as I love hopping up and if I can change look all together then great!

Is that yours on pic?.....its booootiful

Yes that mine - not realy had much use yet - i started with the kit version, added Gmade shock, Proline wheels, 2.8 tyres, Vanquish products alloy parts etc - probably owes me ca £600 now though :(

There's a build thread in 'the builds' section.

I als0 have an R1 - its a nice model but i do think it a little outdated by the Wraith these days..

108_2235.jpg

I didn't get on with the Twin Hammers, as stock it is hugely top heavy and needs a lot of modding to address this. The twin gearbox was just too close in ratios for me, not enough difference between them. Getting at anything on this car involves removing 20+ screws!

I'd go for a Wraith. Very easy to mod, huge range of upgrades and works as a fast, slow or whatever you want racer/crawler. Easy to access the transmission and swap motors & gears. You can get a twin gearbox upgrade that has a much better choice of ratios. Jeep body sets are available to change the look or just keep it simple and stick a Willy in it :D

null_zpsf35c08e4.jpg

• Like 1

I think the wraith is the one for me! Going to modelsport on 27th with a mate and intend to buy one then. Will go for kit version as I will be fitting my own electrics.

Trying to resist buying upgrades before I buy the vehicle but it's hard not to! Anything I need to fit whilst I build it?

When I say anything I need to fit I am going I am initially going for upgrades which will improve reliability rather than pure bling factor....bling will follow

Well it'll come with bearings and a decent pinion (you listening Mr Tamiya?) so if you haven't driven one before is suggest building it stock and then deciding what you want to change after you've driven it a few times. If gives you a much better idea of how the upgrades and mods change it's performance.

A lot of the mods on mine were freebies or just cost a few £'s for fittings. Turning the lower shock mounts over to lower the ride height, moving the battery forward and hinging the bonnet. Then you can get into relocating the steering servo into the chassis, fitting a driver etc. I made a roof plate from aluminium sheet so it would be strong enough to support the LED roll bar I fitted in a rollover.

FO-XX I think would be great for sand dunes at the beach B) It has open diffs to so would benefit from a thicker diff oil too

Like Chris said, biggest help to the wraith would be moving the battery to the front, relatively easy and cheap if not free mod that helps with climbing the most, and if you are putting a 8.5 in it would help keep the nose down under acceleration. I am not sure how good it would jump though.

remember it has locked diffs, so turning wouldn't be as much fun. You can open the diffs with Exo parts and there are heavy duty options from Axial too, which may be of benefit in the rear with big power (I had to get the strengthened crown and pinion for my Exo).

GOPR9666_crop_zpsndw4rupw.jpg

Can i throw in a bit of a curve ball guys ? How about using a Maverick Scout as a basis for a custom build ? Change the Chassis for a SCX10 , lock the diffs, fit some decent wheels / tires and a brushless motor . You would have to fabricate some 4 links to suit but thats hardly a huge problem .

The Maverick is basically a Axial anyway - but for half the price . I recon you could build a RTR rig for under £200 going down this route including perhaps a New Bright body .

Its something i'am considering building myself .

I like the Scout, but having owned both the Maverick and an SCX10 I'd say you'd be better off stumping up the £260 for proper SCX kit and enjoy the build experience.

I think upgrading a Scout to Axial spec would cost way more than £80 (given a new Maverick Scout is around £120). Decent budget wheels and tyres would blow more than half of that at least.

Also a Scout/SCX10 isn't the full on rock racer that a Wraith is. Sure you could fit a faster motor but it's a much more narrow, scale wheelbase so it would likely be prone to rolling over at higher speeds, much like the Twin Hammers. I also doubt the Scout transmission would take the high speed running as well as the Axial version.

• Like 1

Yes the lack of diffs did worry me about the wraith as the handling won't be great when turning. Lots to think and appreciate all the suggestions. The twinhammer looks a bit cheap to be honest but then it is cheaper than a wraith!

I like the Scout, but having owned both the Maverick and an SCX10 I'd say you'd be better off stumping up the £260 for proper SCX kit and enjoy the build experience.

I think upgrading a Scout to Axial spec would cost way more than £80 (given a new Maverick Scout is around £120). Decent budget wheels and tyres would blow more than half of that at least.

Also a Scout/SCX10 isn't the full on rock racer that a Wraith is. Sure you could fit a faster motor but it's a much more narrow, scale wheelbase so it would likely be prone to rolling over at higher speeds, much like the Twin Hammers. I also doubt the Scout transmission would take the high speed running as well as the Axial version.

I guess your right Chris - but it would make a decent low cost Scaler / Crawler . All i can see it really needs is better prop shafts other than what i have already said . Maybe i was being optimistic saying £200 but i honestly think you could build a really good rig for under perhaps £250 complete using all new parts . if i could pick up a second hand Scout for around £60 - fair price ? then it would be a doddle .

I think Percymon pointed out in the 2nd post it's had quite a few durability issues so you may want to wait until they get addressed, or if you're happy to fork out for the upgrade parts... It certainly looks like a proper rock racer!

Just bought a kit twin hammers! Wasn't top of the list but saw an RTR today and really liked the look of it.