kontemax

Egress & Avante 2001 revamp!

EDIT: I decided to unite the restoring job of my Egress runner and my Avante 2001 shelf queen in the same thread because I often restore many parts of both models together.

EgressRevamp07_zps49563c15.jpg

This is my Egress runner.

Due the lack of money to spent onto my hobby probably will not buy the re re Egress but with all this "Egressmania" in the air I could not think about my two puppies.

One Egress is perfectly restored to new built (it runs twice on tarmac), the other one has been for a long time one of my favourite runners.

It was retired some time ago, replaced by a vintage Top Force Evo that has been replaced by a Dark Impact.

Anyway this baby did stay in a box until a couple of weeks ago when I drop it out for a restore.

I decided to restore it and also upgrade it so I started to spent the few money I can use for the hobby buying some Avante 2011 spare parts like the gold upright and other redesigned parts.

EgressRevamp06_zps50c2b98b.jpg

As you can see the car is in a decent shape with the two tone body.

Probably today will replace the PS-16 Metallic Blue with the PS-23 Gunmetal Grey + PS-12 Silver but anyway that's it. Rear wheel hubs had been removed for maintenance.

Let me introduce you the car: this car has several modifications for the use on the track.

The first modification are the springs. I tested different springs stiffness and these are my choose. Orange Losi springs at rear and Red shortened Losi springs at front. The front Dark Green/rear Red combo was not good. Too stiff.

EgressRevamp05_zpsde462df7.jpg

Another modification is the rear damper tower made of 2 mm carbon fiber plate...

EgressRevamp17_zpsabf12636.jpg

... and front one made of the same material:

EgressRevamp11_zpsb4145e19.jpg

As you can see the front shock tower has four mounting holes for more stiffness and to save gearbox mounts. You can also see a reinforcement plate on the left side. I forgot to do it in the other side. Will do it asap.

End of part one.

Max

• Like 2

The lower front damper brackets are aluminum handmade and perfectly match the original ones:

EgressRevamp14_zps6f147ed9.jpg

Another important modification are the front moulded wheel hubs. I bought these masterpieces from a club member, don't remember who (Egressor maybe?), from Germany.

EgressRevamp15_zps2940ec66.jpg

As you can see all ball connectors are tight, smooth and clearanceless GS Racing ones. I'm not really happy about the color (I should preffer black or blue) but no choice. Turnbuckles all around complete the job.

EgressRevamp26_zpse8ad6f1c.jpg

Also the steering plate is not original. It's a shortened Vanquish one. I cut the plate to obtain a better suspension movement and a better steering geometry but soon I will redo it. The design of the plate can be better than this.

End of part two.

• Like 1

Another modification is the carbon fiber motor plate. It's stronger (it flexes less than alloy one) it's lighter and it's cooler.

EgressRevamp23_zps810fba0b.jpg

Also the chassis has been modified to accomodate the modern 4600 mAh Ni-Mh batteries I did use at that time. One column has been moved forward to have more space:

EgressRevamp18_zpsbadddde7.jpg

EgressRevamp19_zps3eddfa19.jpg

Sorry for the carbon fiber plates but it was impossible to avoid.

A little advice for all Egress drivers: the front Egress brace is too prone to breakages. I used and tested the Vanquish one that is excellent. It's lighter (one piece) and stronger and (if you don't need it) you can cut the front Vanquish body mount.

EgressRevamp13_zpscae77b85.jpg

Another little modification is this one you can't see in this picture. I machined all four dampers spacers. They are one piece treaded (like the Dyna Storm ones) and I fixed them to the damper tower with a long titanium screw from the back. This allows to disassemble the dampers quickly just unscrewing the nut. Ready for race!

EgressRevamp10_zpsee99c385.jpg

All orange/red/black stripes are painted from the back of the body so no more peeling off stickers. Here in Italy we have rough and dirty track with a lot of dust, sand and debris and they are killers for the peeling stickers. The job is not yet finished on the wing sideplates.

EgressRevamp01_zps1bc87dc6.jpg

End of part three.

Max

• Like 1

The car will be fully cleaned, refurbished and upgraded with new parts.

EgressRevamp02_zps362276a9.jpg

The first parts replaced will be the rear hubs. Yeah Racing are a must have:

EgressRevamp28_zps59daf282.jpg

Other parts will be the new modern Black Special ball diffs,the CVD shafts, the front Yeah Racing black hubs (to match the rear ones), the gold front hub carriers and other parts that are now travelling from Stella and jr-rc to my home. I hope they will arrive asap but with the End of the Year holidays I suppose it will happen in the early 2014.

EgressRevamp09_zps0d937e41.jpg

That's all for today.

Max

• Like 3

Very nice tuning job on that Egress you got there, thanks for sharing that gave me loads of ideas for my rere.

Hi! How do you see the thread?

I see it like a mess with no images, links all around and a lot of html codes all around.

Can a moderator help me with this thread please?

Max

I see it the same way, too, but every second post it turns out as it should. Amd so far, the results on the car look great!

I love it. So nice to see one with a unique personality. Hope you get your posts sorted out.

I see an Egress with lots of heart which i would love to restore rather than to assemble a re-re kit!

Finally I managed the delete all the mess in the first posts so enjoy the thread!

Max

Thanks for sharing.

Your showcasing the wear and tear of the Egress is invaluable for 1st time owner like myself.

I have search all over the Internet for something like this over the last 1 month.

Very much appreciated.

Thank you all mates and be patient please because as always I've so few time to dedicate to the hobby that my threads are really slows with the updates.

Max

Hi Max, that carbon motor plate is really cool! Where did it come from?

Hi Redzone,

the carbon motor plate is handmade by me. Just dremel, sandpaper and files.

Today is arrived a package from Jason RC with some juicy parts for my Egress runner.

Here the parts:

EgressRevamp29_zps1c891131.jpg

EgressRevamp30_zps8f84105c.jpg

EgressRevamp31_zpsa7dfe1fe.jpg

EgressRevamp32_zpsa8201a99.jpg

EgressRevamp33_zps42e5e71a.jpg

This is only a part of the upgrades I bought for my Egress runner. I'm still waiting for a package from Stella Models. I can't buy a re re Egress but I can upgrade mine.

Max

• Like 2

First upgrade:

EgressRevamp34_zps752942c2.jpg

EgressRevamp36_zpsea610bd6.jpg

EgressRevamp35_zps7bd316e9.jpg

My front moulded alloy hubs needed just a little touch of file to fit perfectly. Just a 5 minutes of work.

Now I'll strip all the car and will clean it all.

Max

• Like 3

Great Rebuild Max

Nice to see an original that has been used

Well, i respect that very much. Although i could easily buy a rere Egress i have decided never to buy new kits again. Since i restarted the hobby i only bought 1 new kit which was a CC-01 and building it did absolutely nothing to me. I actually never finished it and traded it eventually for an Avante 2K1 that needed restoring. :)

I am in a economically bad period so I can't buy the re re Egress.

If I'll buy it will be only to have a NIB kit that I never owned when I was young.

I also have a shelf queen vintage Egress over than this vintage Egress runner.

Max

Well, a little bit of time today to dedicate to my Egress runner.

Today I cleaned and refurbished the rear ball differential.

As you can see in the pictures sequence the diff was well worn and abused.

EgressRevamp37_zpsdcb67ee7.jpg

EgressRevamp38_zps79d91051.jpg

All the parts has been cleaned up.

EgressRevamp39_zpse8d35e1e.jpg

As usual all the ball plates are worn. So I sanded them down to mirror finish and revitalized them as new.

EgressRevamp40_zpsbc465bec.jpg

Here the difference between old and sanded one.

EgressRevamp41_zps7e688bd5.jpg

Finished!

EgressRevamp42_zps0c9fb226.jpg

Assembled again the differential now is smooth as new. I used Associated silicon grease for ball differentials.

EgressRevamp43_zpsc1f02cd8.jpg

Sylvester the cat approves!

EgressRevamp44_zpsf9609dc4.jpg

That's all for now!

Max