zomboided

Cleaning rusty screws, nuts and bolts.

As per the topic title, what do you all do?

Vinegar? Coke? Then just rinse, or use some kinda metal polish?

Soak them in WD40 for a few days them I give them a polish with Autosol metal polish. If they're too far gone it's best to replace with new ones. Search eBay with the screw dimensions as you'll get more options than just the overpriced Tamiya parts bags.

• Like 1

I've been using WD40 in conjunction with an ultrasonic cleaner.

Same as Greg, i use WD40 or another cleaner, sometimes mountain bike cleaner :)

Then it goes in the cheap ultrasonic cleaner.

This takes care of most but a few are too far gone and some are just replaced.

Unless they are special or no longer available or the current ones are not the same, i am not sure if is worth the elbow grease and time.

Just my thoughts, need not to consider at all.

Where do you get elbow grease? Hardware store? Auto accesories shop?

• Like 1

elbow grease is just doing manual labor works.

Quote of the month! :)
  • Like 1

WD40 and a tooth brush or small wire brush or a wire brush attachment on a Dremel

Thanks for the discussion (and the genius question about elbow grease :) ).

I think the sentiments of buy new screws is right, but there are some unique ones i need to clean up.

Does anyone have a preferred supplier where I can buy standard bolts? I think I agree with the comment that the Tamiya bags are not bargainous.

It's OK, I went to hardware, they had it. It's in the same isle as the striped paint and left handed screw drivers.

Back to the original subject regarding screws and nuts 'n bolts. I know you can buy screws and the like from a fastener shop but where do you get the phillips/slotted combo metal thread screws Tamiya use from?

I've searched and the only way I can see is by buying tamiya fastener sets similar to the one in link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9465603-Tamiya-1-16-King-Tiger-Screw-Bag-B-/351108204194?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51bfae06a2

Anyone got another idea?

Hi nodtec, I noticed your in SE Queensland, try The Nut and Bolt Factory at Yatala, or Bolts and Industrial Supplies at Salisbury, both have extensive ranges.

Hi nodtec, I noticed your in SE Queensland, try The Nut and Bolt Factory at Yatala, or Bolts and Industrial Supplies at Salisbury, both have extensive ranges.

I'll check them out. What would you call those screws? 'Slotted Phillips head?

I'll check them out. What would you call those screws? 'Slotted Phillips head?

no idea to be honest. The nut and bolt factory has some charts on their website, but I usually just go in with a sample and get them to match it. They are cheap enough that I usually buy in boxes of 100 on the common ones.

nodtec........ Thankyou, that was the best laugh I've had in a long time......

Sadly it seems that these guys have no sense of humour whatsoever...

The sell elbow grease at my local hardware as well.. Its right near the metric shifting spanners, boxes of grinding sparks and long weights (waits).... LOL..

I also thought it quite reasonable to go to the red light district if you were looking for a screw.........

• Like 1

nodtec........ Thankyou, that was the best laugh I've had in a long time......

Sadly it seems that these guys have no sense of humour whatsoever...

The sell elbow grease at my local hardware as well.. Its right near the metric shifting spanners, boxes of grinding sparks and long weights (waits).... LOL..

I also thought it quite reasonable to go to the red light district if you were looking for a screw.........

My local place has all those and more - I even found some sky hooks there once :lol:

• Like 1

Interestingly, there is a genuine cleaning product called Elbow Grease. I saw some in Poundland the other day, so thought I would give it a try. It doesn't do anything for rusty screws, but it is pretty good for de-greasing gears and gearboxes.

I also came across some genuine sky hooks a while ago. Turns out it is a brand of picture mounting hardware.

Actually we used to have skyhooks available in Australia, but they've gradually faded away.

http://www.skyhooks-music.com/band.html

Don't forget to get a can of compression and a packet of ignition sparks if you're trying to get and engine going.

• Like 1

Ahh yes and don't forget if you are a builder you could do worse than buy a glass hammer and a spare bubble for your spirit level...

Red light district?

Thats my sense of humour. but we got to be careful as this is a family channel rated PG 14.

My local place has all those and more - I even found some sky hooks there once :lol:

yeah the shop i used to do business with also sells buckets of steam. but they since ran out of steam and that ain't no hot air.

• Like 1

Does anyone have a preferred supplier where I can buy standard bolts?

www.westfieldfasteners.co.uk prices ok and cheap postage for small orders

www.orbitalfasteners.co.uk really good prices, but website default courier postage option is expensive - best to call them with your order and they'll send at normal royal mail postage rates

• Like 1