The Knight

In next future: re-releasing blackfoot truck?

I want to know, if Tamiya is ambitionated in re-releasing one of the old Blackfoots or Bush Devil etc?

Do anyone hear something? ;)

Doubt it, especially with the Blackfoot 3 being still available and using the same body without the Ford logos. The original Blackfoot tranny wouldnt cope too well with more modern hotter motors either. Same for the Monster Beetle, but if they did re-re those 2, Id buy it for sure!!

• Like 1

With the DT03 chassis used by the Neo Frog featuring the little square mouldings for mounting conventional bodyposts, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a Neo Blackfoot based on the same chassis.

Haha I see dt03 on Google but I don't think that is a good chassis for blackfoot. Looks not like a monster truck. But could be a good base for a new chassis.

Haha I see dt03 on Google but I don't think that is a good chassis for blackfoot. Looks not like a monster truck. But could be a good base for a new chassis.

The DT-03 retains the DT-02 gearbox, which is designed for buggy gearing. It isn't suited for Stadium Truck or even Monster Truck sized wheels.

The WT-01 platform is fine for 2WD trucks, although I'd like to see a WT-02 in the near future.

• Like 1

Wt01/wr01 isn't stable. Many parts go broken (with stock motor). And its old. New chassis would be nice, new car, new possibilities. ;)

Could you please tell me what parts went broken, assuming you had first-hand experiences with that chassis type (which I lack)? Many thanks. :)

Servo Mounts broken

Servo horn broken

every screw in suspension arm comes out

Shocks are bull****

plastic bearings

wheels too small for 1:10

servo mount imprecise and "wobbles"

The real problems of the chassis are: coming out screws, servo mounting and shocks. All earlier chassis of blackfoot and clod havn't this problem.

• Like 1

Strange - my WR01 and WT01 have been amongst my most reliable and regularly-used runners. The screws haven't come out, the servo mounts and horns haven't broken, and it didn't take much money or effort to fit oil shocks and bearings. They aren't precise, slop-free race machines, but I have found them to be tough, reliable and capable bashers.

• Like 1

Strange - my WR01 and WT01 have been amongst my most reliable and regularly-used runners. The screws haven't come out, the servo mounts and horns haven't broken, and it didn't take much money or effort to fit oil shocks and bearings. They aren't precise, slop-free race machines, but I have found them to be tough, reliable and capable bashers.

I'm with you on that one matey, I've bashed the badword out of my Twin Detonator and never broken anything. Agreed I did replace the servo mounts with alloy ones to reduce the play but that is about it. Oil shocks and bearings are a standard upgrade for most Tamiyas anyway so can't really be listed as a weak point specific to this chassis.

• Like 1

The defects I got after the first 5-8 rides. Completely stock.

I have read often, that other drivers have same problems.

I have changed all these parts and get a new truck, and I love it. It's my favorite truck in my collection. ;)

cnqf5qyt.jpg

Germany ;)

I didn't know anyone was still making alloy chasssis for the WR01.

Do you have the site of the seller?

I didn't know anyone was still making alloy chasssis for the WR01.

Do you have the site of the seller?

No seller, no firm, no distributor. A unknown private person makes this ins his "garage". Cost 60-70 € and is absolutly neat constructed.

Servo Mounts broken

Servo horn broken

every screw in suspension arm comes out

Shocks are ********

plastic bearings

wheels too small for 1:10

servo mount imprecise and "wobbles"

The real problems of the chassis are: coming out screws, servo mounting and shocks. All earlier chassis of blackfoot and clod havn't this problem.

The WT-01 chassis has been on the market for 15 years and most don't experience broken servo mounts or servo horns, and "every screw in suspension arm comes out" is possibly a bit exaggerated. Yes, the screw pins and king pins might back out, but the 3x10 selftapping screws and 3x14 step screws hardly do.

The servo mount is indeed wobbly, and would have benefited from a design like the DT-03 servo mount or similar. I also that the friction shocks and lack of ball ball bearings are "issues", but this is something the WT-01 has in common with masses of other "budget level" models.

And as for "All earlier chassis of blackfoot and clod havn't this problem", I can hardly agree. The friction shocks of the Blackfoot, Super Blackfoot, King Blackfoot, Blackfoot Xtreme (WT-01 btw) and all Clods aren't any better than the friction shocks of the WT-01, but admittedly, the suspension throw is larger on some of them. and as for servo horns breaking, the Blackfoot servo horn breaks by far more easily than the servo horn of the WT-01, even with the Monster Beetle brace mounted, and the steering of ORV-chassis based Blackfoots is just about as wobbly as the steering of the WT-01 in stock form.

I reckon we agree that the WT-01 is anything but perfect and a WT-02 would be very nice after so many years, but it was pretty good for its time and still is rather capable and robust.

Btw, my new girlfriend has a 6yo kid that often is with her when she comes to visit me. When he's here, his running a (WT-01) XB Mighty Bull as if there is no tomorrow, crashing it into anything he can find in my garden at full speed. It's absolutely stock factory built, and except for servo mount screws backing out, nothing has come loose or broken and we're talking at least 50+ runs (3500mAh NiMH) by now. Even the plastic and bronze bushings haven't developed much slop yet.

The DT-03 retains the DT-02 gearbox, which is designed for buggy gearing. It isn't suited for Stadium Truck or even Monster Truck sized wheels.

True, although it wouldn't be hard for Tamiya to release it with a smaller spur, making it suitable for bigger wheels. I am sure those body post mounts on the DT03 are intended for more than decoration...

A smaller spur won't help. What would be needed is a smaller pinion or a bigger spur gear, to get more torque. There's no way I know of fitting a larger spur gear into the gearbox.

As above, trying to think of one occasion I've managed to break my Blackfoot-based truck (2wd)...

It's pretty tough. I put CC01 oil shocks on mine to make it a little more stable, it does jumps and has had some pretty serious-looking collisions with kerbs and walls! It's so tough. I know others say the suspension mounts are a weak spot, but not in my experience. In fact, all that mine has is the aforementioned CC01 shocks, full bearings, a decent servo, servo horn and aluminum servo mounts (the stock plastic ones flex way too much with the big wheels).

It even goes pretty fast with a cheeky brushless in it! Basic sometimes means better IMO...

• Like 1

A smaller spur won't help. What would be needed is a smaller pinion or a bigger spur gear, to get more torque.

Quite right - my apologies. For some reason, even after years in the hobby, I still get confused sometimes as to which way gearing changes go...

I would love to know if Tamiya is planning a re release on the original Monster Beetle. I'm hoping they will in 2016 for the 30th anniversary. They could do the Mud Blaster as well. I hope they don't try to pull a Monster beetle 2 like the Bush Devil and Mud Blaster. There is something to be said about keeping it original. I just love that space frame for some reason!

COME ON TAMIYA!!! GIVE THE PEOPLE A TRUE RE RELEASE MONSTER BEETLE!!!!