Sign in to follow this  
Gruntfuggly

Anyone into torches?

I know this is a bit tragic, but I think it might be a generational thing?

As a kid when I went on cub camps, we all had to have a torch and all my parents ever sent me with was some sort of rubbish pifco torch with an output of about 0.5 lumens. Other kids always had torches that kicked my torch's backside...

Needless to say, this has developed into a 'thing' where I like decent torches - and I have to have one on my keyring at all times. My current torch has an output of 300 lumens or something and runs of a single C123 cell. It's amazing the power that modern tech has provided!

I quite like multitools too - I have a Leatherman Mini tool which is also awesome for it's size.

Anyway, just thought I'd share in case there are any other like minded peeps out there...

I know where you are coming from. I too suffered from torch envy as a kid, and consequently my keyring is never without its Mini Maglite, neither is our car boot without its huge rechargeable spotlight thing that can light up a hillside from a mile away. :)

I have about 10 maglites from solitaire to 5D and a couple of Pezel head torches. As for multi tools I have a couple of Leathermans and a fair few victorinox pocket knives.

Need to get up to date with the LED revolution though.

Any preppers with bug-out-bags under the stairs?

I feel that Maglite lost their way a bit. For many years they were the king of torches, but they seemed to miss the LED revolution...

Anyone into torches !, Ah " yer " When it's dark :lol: ..

Didn't even think of that & now i can think of a few that i would like to find .

" Oh why do i come to this site " More things to look at or buy .

Gee Thanks Gruntfuggly :P ..

The old army metal 90 degree torch comes to mind ....

I bought a ledlenser P9 thinking it was a great little torch and then got looking on the internet and found forums dedicated to the things which must be a favourite hang out for chubby little security guards! :lol:

I now have a Sunwayman D40a and have about 4 torches in total. Wouldn't mind another TBH.

I don't have much in terms of torches.

But I did discover candlepowerforums and recognize that there's related diseases to the Tamiya bug.

I've got a few pocket knives and and multi tools, including the ludicrus Wenger:

61ABQA%2Bgt8S._SL1063_.jpg

• Like 1

As a kid when I went on cub camps, we all had to have a torch and all my parents ever sent me with was some sort of rubbish pifco torch with an output of about 0.5 lumens. Other kids always had torches that kicked my torch's backside...

heck no, I kitted meself out for school camp... lugged along an Energizer 2xD resin baton with Halogen bulb and backup by a 2xAA Maglite wannabe hopped up with a genuine Maglite krypton bulb. And extra sets of alkalines for both :)

They were both stupidly bright and kinda silly for when you just wanted to go hide behind a bush to drop some nightsoil... yeah was like doing the biz whilst in the spotlight of stadium stage lighting.

I feel that Maglite lost their way a bit. For many years they were the king of torches, but they seemed to miss the LED revolution...

Dunno, the traditional Maglite rengineered for LED is still pretty good... got a bunch of 3 & 2xDs with matching 2xAAs.

Hate the "smart switch" on the 2xAAs though. :/

Their X range of LED minis... didn't find them interesting enough to invest. There's many others better or cheaper.

I like Maglite bring Made in USA, thumbing its nose at China crap :)

I'll put my hand up to having a bug out bag ..... Think it stems from Love for camping and hate for the world of today lol

• Like 2

I'll put my hand up to having a bug out bag ..... Think it stems from Love for camping and hate for the world of today lol

I have draw that could be transferred fast. Most is old wild camping stuff and the sort of knives that will get you 10 years at HMP is you take them out the house now. We used to take them down the woods as kids all the time, no one even blinked and eye

• Like 1

Well seeing as you mentioned torches and multitools, I spent 5 years in the British Army, in the REME as an A mech, and I always had a Leatherman and a mini-maglite in a pouch on my belt

There isn't much you can't fix with a Leatherman Wave and a mini-maglite hanging out of your mouth :)

• Like 2

heck no, I kitted meself out for school camp... lugged along an Energizer 2xD resin baton with Halogen bulb and backup by a 2xAA Maglite wannabe hopped up with a genuine Maglite krypton bulb. And extra sets of alkalines for both :)

So you would have been one of the other kids then! I was always gutted when everybody was shining their torches on the inside of the tent and mine got totally swamped by someone like yours! :lol:

• Like 1

Still looking at torches, I have a pezel head torch but need something with a lot more power, have a leatherman and for if things go really wrong a few esee knifes. I use terra nova for tents and rab for the bags ... More than likely most people would freeze if we lost power here.

Still looking at torches, I have a pezel head torch but need something with a lot more power, have a leather an and for if things go really wrong a few esee knifes. I use terra nova for ,y tents and ran for the bags ... More than likely most people would freeze if we lost power here.

Check out the Surefire range. They're indestructible and will have something that meets or exceeds your needs. For knives I'm a big Busse fan and spend way too much on them. For folders it's Spyderco. Packs are Kifaru, or Camelbak for smaller day packs.

Chris.

• Like 1

Looks great for the price .... Always suspicious of fakes on eBay when it comes to branded torches/knifes

But for that price I'd give it a shot.

Chris

Ex Forces too and always have my Leatherman and mini mag handy . I also have a 6 D CELL Full Size Maglight that's being converted to LED - my god its bright now and the battery's seem to last for ages .

• Like 1

I have an above average collection of LED flashlights...but I don't actually "collect" them. I usually buy them and then buy better versions down the line. My current favorite brand is Coast due to their "Pure Beam" optics. They have one of the best optics in the industry IMO. When adjusted for flood, the Pure Beam optics is very clean and well defined...no halos etc. I have two of their stainless steel models...the A25 and the A25R. The latter has an output of over 700 lumens and has rechargeable li-ion batteries that could be charged inside the flashlight or outside without needing a charging cradle. The battery itself has a microUSB port for direct charging with a cable.

Good thing you're talking about flashlights, not fleshlights.

My wife does a fair amount of ghosthunting...which means we now finally connect on good/bad flashlights (torches). :lol: My favorites are the pilot types with the white led as well as the red led for low light situations.