Sign in to follow this  
ChrisRx718

Was the Enzo TT01 the last MSC equipped model?

...and will this deserve it some form of collectors' status?

Was just having a clear out the other day and recognised another plastic parts tree from the Enzo kit which contains a secondary servo bracket for use with a mechanical speed controller. It may seem hard to believe, but this bizarre setup featured on Tamiya model 58302.

I'd love to post a picture but I'm posting from my phone!

Needless to say this setup makes the electronics very cramped in the TT01 bathtub chassis.

So onto my point, will this archaic feature afford this model collectors status in years to come? The phasing-out of the mechanical speed controller and the introduction of ESCs as standard came about with the introduction of the TT01 chassis and the Enzo kit represents this crossover.

Was the TT01 Enzo the only TT01 to feature an MSC?

Was this the last touring car chassis to feature an MSC?

What was the reasoning behind it? The parts and execution certainly look like an afterthought!

Does anyone have a manual showing exactly how this setup went together? (I can only find generic TT01 copies online)

Bizarre. I wasn't even aware of such a kit. I thought the enzo was only released on a TB chassis. A beautiful body I must say.

Personally, I don't think an MSC tt01 would ever really reach collector status. More like a peculiarity by tamiya. I'd be interested to see how it goes together though.

Huh. I had no idea mechanical speed controls held on that long. I remember them being included in kits throughout the TL01 years, but they were just a bag I didn't bother opening. With the exception of my Blackfoot, which I wanted to keep original, I haven't used an MSC since I could afford my first ESC (1994 or so). And every time I drive the Blackfoot, I remember why...

That's why I think it deserves a little recognition - not many people are aware of the setup. Not as collectable as a vintage buggy for sure, but in a kind of 'end-of-era' thing regards to the MSC.

Super Clod was the last "Tamiya" with an MSC, not sure about the tt01/touring application though. I am trying to picture the tt01 with a MSC... sounds.interesting.

I might build one up to demonstrate how it works, I think I have enough surplus parts.

Yes, I would like to see pictures, please.

There are very few pictures about, but to imagine it the MSC itself is positioned on the battery strap towards the back, the servo is positioned upright in front of the motor and the resistor sits above the propshaft.

I'll try and mock one up later but I'm concerned now that I might have thrown out the old MSC...

I have this kit - 58302 - must have bought it at least 10+ years ago & I don't think it came with an MSC.

If you look in the manual, the D parts tree shows a couple of parts in dark grey & references 'Not Used'

Manual shows only the install of an ESC, no mention of an MSC anywhere.

It definitely did feature an MSC, perhaps just on an earlier production run?

I know that some certainly did as I remember selling them!

I have the kit as well, but it's been a long time since I've had the MSC in it. If I'm remembering correctly, the installation instructions came on a separate insert that was included in the kit. I tried to find the insert, but no luck.

I'm pretty sure I once saw a promotional picture of an MSC equipped TT-01 prototype. I'm not sure if it was a painting or a photograph. It must have been 2 years ago. I do not remember if it was posted here on TC or on another website.

Well it only took best part of a year but I finally found some pictures courtesy of an eBay auction. Like me, you'll probably think "aha, so that's where you mount the other servo" and now you'll be able to sleep better at night!

IMG_20160411_195736.jpg

IMG_20160411_195659.jpg

• Like 2

Thank you so much for sharing these pictures, Chris!

Aha, so that's where you mount the other servo! :D

Off to sleep now...

• Like 2

cool pics mate , makes me think about the tb01 i restored last year , it was a box of parts but in it came a msc but for the life of me i was unable to figure out how it mounted , wish i could find some pics for it , not that i want to run it that way lol