Sign in to follow this  
EddScott

Painting a tank - JS2

I'm seriously considering building a tank! However, although I can build just about anything, I'm no good at painting. I've asked the lad that does my race shells if he will help with the paint and he's up for it.

What I'm not sure about is how would we do this? Would I send bits to him to paint as I'm building it or build it then send the whole lot to him?

Look at the build manual and it will tell if parts can be painted first or after. I think the metal chassis housing need to be painted first before the road wheels and rollers can be installed. Most of the decorative plastic parts can be painted while you are building.

JS2 should be pretty straight forward, its all green, and the worse it looks the more authentic. :rolleyes:

Most JS tanks look like they threw the paint on straight out of the bucket and then used a broom to splatter it over parts they missed.

JS2.JPG

Guess you will be building the 1:16 not the small one ;)

DSC01258.jpg

The most difficult bit to paint are the rubbers on the rims.

Oh and winter camo is totaly easy, same as with the green, except they used paint that came of when it rained.

^^Whats the thing on the top?

I've started another thread tank related but its specific to a model.

I'd want the tank to have lots of detail and weathering. I've spoken to the painter and he said the same. Get the kit, look at the manual and see which bits need building and which can be sent as is.

Have him do the paint first, before the build. With the tanks, there are parts that need paint that would need a ton of dissassembly to get to. For reference, here's my last tank build showing what needed paint besides the main body.

DSCN0638.jpg

DSCN0640.jpg

• Like 1

Given the amount of parts that need painting, I might even have a go and doing the base stuff myself and just send the frame away for detailing. Although I'm still looking at the JS2 I'm trying to get info on the Flakpanzer and whether to buy the static and convert it or buy the RC kit and upgrade it.

Off Topic but have you considered the Heng Long tanks ? Although not the same quality as the Tamiya ones their not half bad at all . With a little work they can be a very worthwhile option . Ok so their ready built but with some weathering they actually look great .

I've only done the Leopard 2a6 in the factory NATO colours but there was nothing in the manual that told me when to paint it. Painted road wheels and idler arms first, then painted lower hull then assembled lower hull and repainted, the built upper hull and painted, then built lower turret and then painted, then base painted barrel then built upper turret then painted both, then weathered and detailed whole tank.

Well I couldn't decide between the JS2 and a static Gepard so bought both. :)

Going to build the JS2 and see how I get on. Should be able to make it last the year! At worst the Gepard might be a NIB investment.

• Like 1

Gepard is s/b rerelease in rc format. in my book, is the best tank by tamiya.

For weathering, wonder if using actual fire works gun powder makes good battle scars.? i think gotto becareful, don't want to melt the plastic. :wacko:

Unless you have a particular aversion to painting I would suggest you have a go yourself (if you can bring yourself to invest in an airbrush).

it is actually remarkably easy and I agree with waterbok...

Most JS tanks look like they threw the paint on straight out of the bucket and then used a broom to splatter it over parts they missed.

The most complex painting I had done before tackling my King Tiger was a lexan shell with spray cans. But playing around with an airbush enabled me to get a finish I loved and that I thought I would never have the skills to achieve.

IMG_3097-001.JPG

As suggested above, paint everything you can in sub assemblies (but remember to leave parts that need to be glued together clean because plastic glue does not like paint) then stick it all together.

Then weather it all in one piece. My method was to buy AK interactive washes and filters and to apply numerous thin layers over a period of weeks until I got to a stage where it looked just about right.

For instance if you look behind the wheels I simply used about 5 different layers applied in different depths to create an oily unwashed feel. And on the wheels themselves I used 2 or 3 different shades applied randomly so they all look a bit different. Finally along every groove or edge I laid down dark oil based washes which really make the features stand out and give it some depth.

IMG_3134-001.JPG

Without doubt the most rewarding project I have ever done.

If you do decide to have a go there are some amazing DVDs out there (again look at AK interactive) which talk you through the methods and also the reasons why they work.

• Like 1

Forgot to mention one other trick.

Before you paint it, use something like Mr Surfacer primer which can create the cast iron look, particularly prevalent on big nasty Russian tanks! And don't forget to add those weld seams as you can see on the front of the KT. Russian tanks were made quickly and in an agricultural way... lots of rough edges and textures, all of which add character and depth to your model.

IMG_3114-001.JPG

I think I need to go and get myself a Flakpanzer now. I feel the need to get messy with armour again!

That is a good price for the Gepard - shame it doesn't come up on Ebay UK. I'd buy it!

+1 wonder would the seller do a trade for a Tiger (full option)and King Tiger (Old version) both NIB. :rolleyes: