netsmithUK

What are the new vintage "Holy Grails?"

With all the re-releases having effected what people collect and hunt out, I was just wondering if there was a 'new' old model that people now hunt for? (apart from the original 3spds) I'm thinking those models where the kits and parts are as rare as hens teeth and you would mortgage a liver just to get hold of one.

With all the re-releases having effected what people collect and hunt out, I was just wondering if there was a 'new' old model that people now hunt for? (apart from the original 3spds)

For me it's probably a SWB Wild Willy, and once I've got that then probably a LWB to complete the set.

I think it's worth having the original SRB's, yes even the SS and RR, but with manual speed controll and period radio gear, since anything else is just a re-re isn't it?

Hi all !

For my own personal crusade its got to be 58001 Porsche 934 Turbo RSR, Still extremely collectable and hunting down decent parts is like a crusade but these days i quite enjoy the hunt. ( For me ) logging into eBay or forums and having that specific part your looking for years for sale still gives me goose bumps !

,Chris

I would say the following will become the Holy Grails:

Most TRF414's, especially TRF414X. NIB Price on all TRF414's has gone through the roof recently.

TR-15T's

TB Evolutions, there earlier the better

Antony

• Like 3

Hotshot Mk1 for me without a shadow of a doubt. The specific parts that made this unique, the bumper and respective gear box/bumper stay i have never ever seen for sale, anywhere!

Ebay matey. I got a Mk1 Hotshot and rebuilt it using original parts i needed from ebay. Now got a sweeeet runner and shelf queen.

Without a doubt the earlier TRF cars are going to be the holy grail especially if they included a body.

Other cars are TR15T and Kingcab / Monster racer.

• Like 2

Could be the Celica Gr. B. As far as I know only 1 batch of these were made.

Depending on how the GT2 rerelease comes out I'd still say the Taisan Porsche GT2

Juggernaut 1

30th anniversary Porsche 934

TRF's from 414-418

I agree with Shodog, that Juggernaut 1 definitely has that great sought after "grail" status. Its a cool looking, LARGE Tamiya monster truck. I always loved the ABS body and the aluminum chassis coupled with those large bubbly tires and chrome wheels. I know I wouldn't mind either a Jugg 1 or Jugg 2 to build.

Of the TRF cars, I would say the TRF414X, TRF414, and TRF414M2 WCR will be the most highly sought after (they are also the ones with numbering on their bulkhead). Of the three, the TRF414X will be the hardest/almost impossible to find at only 150 made during initial release thus earning it grail status.

Is the 30th anniversary ed. Porsche that rare? Not disputing it just curious how many were made during initial release. I know it had a unique wheel base for its TA05 chassis in order to fit that 934 RSR body. Very beautifully crafted with all the blue alloy and carbon bits.

• Like 1

Is the 30th anniversary ed. Porsche that rare? Not disputing it just curious how many were made during initial release. I know it had a unique wheel base for its TA05 chassis in order to fit that 934 RSR body. Very beautifully crafted with all the blue alloy and carbon bits.

I read that there were only 2500 made.

TRF414 & 414X are TechRacing ;) design be as T family as the BMT buggies.

I read that there were only 2500 made.

yea have heard 1000, 1500 etc up to that, depends on who's trying to sell you one :) they weren't serial numbered.

But a whole rash of bodysets were sold too and supposedly the chassis plates could be ordered for spares too;

many of the alloy bits reappeared in the TA05MS.

Is the Black 934 Tamtech rarer? :D

A future classic (or even current classic) is the TA03F Mitsubishi Lancer Evo V. Trying to find one nib or even in good condition is almost impossible with box and manual. Its also one of Tamiya best looking bodies imo too.

James

:)

• Like 1

A future classic (or even current classic) is the TA03F Mitsubishi Lancer Evo V. Trying to find one nib or even in good condition is almost impossible with box and manual. Its also one of Tamiya best looking bodies imo too.

James

:)

I had the Evo 5, it's sold now but still in my showroom in street mode with box and instructions, also had a 1:1 Evo, sold that too, which I'd kept both :rolleyes:

Rare runs, then you want to add the TRF101 on that list as 150 were made, also the TRF418 is the rarest TRF onroad chassis if you consider them as a numbered batch (1 batch made). I have some development chassis in my fleet but they are made and raced as that's kinda the point of a TRF. (I had a 414x but it's butchered now).

The TRFs in mint condition are probably the future 'holy grails.' But I feel they are not classics in the same vein as some other cars categorized as such, which got there through the collective memories of everyday consumers' experiences with them.

Does the definition of a 'holy grail' assume rarity and desire are mutual, or mutually exclusive? It seems that some suggestions might fit better as 'classics' while others are both. The desire that is derived from finding an elusive kit is not quite the same as the pleasure of reliving past glories as is the case with most classics; hence the phrasing of the question. Unless we have hordes of racers making it big with TRF chassis, I see the TRF cars as earning this status through one but not both. But then, I also have no idea how many people really want TRF cars.

The issue is further complicated by the definition of 'vintage' as visited on this forum. I think that 'vintage TRF cars' will not be as old as 'vintage RC cars' because the technology in racing seems to advance itself far more aggressively than it does in recreational RC cars, meaning that a racing kit from 2002 will seem more dated compared to a racing kit from 2015 as opposed to a typical kit from 2002 v. one from 2015. In that way, maybe we can argue that some of the early TRF cars are already 'vintage.' Barring a rogue racer slashing up the modern-day competition in a TRF414, such chassis are already outmoded.

I get the feeling that the more intriguing 'holy grail' we will see in the future will either be a once-marginal and less-produced production car that is suddenly sought after by collectors to complete a series, or a well-produced and well-liked car of which few mint examples survive. Either one must also not have a re-release.

• Like 1

Will Chang:

That is a common misconception. The TRF414 series cars were developed in house by Tamiya's TRF. Masayuki Miura and Takahiko Yasui who developed the series all left for HPI (also joined by 2002 IFMAR champion Surikarn).

The later car that was developed by Tech racing for Tamiya is the TRF415. You can still find old RCTech threads stating as such with owners finding Tech racing stamps here and there in the packaging.

TRF414X was numbered series (150 production units released to public), TRF414 was numbered (1500? production units released), and TRF414M2 WCR (1700 production units released). These are easily verified by checking member listing of cars and general google search (Tamiya still has the 414X/414 development and info on their website indicating this as well). The 414M and 414M2 did not contain serial numbering but the original 414M was indicated as a limited production run.

• Like 1

My general feeling of what constitute a grail car is sought after and rare during initial release thus making them extremely difficult to find NIB in the present.

Juggernaut 1 - they pulled this very quickly due to transmission issues. at the time it was such a pity because it is such a great looking truck. it was not initially sought after on the secondary market because of this issue but now I believe it is quite rare to find in general and in particular NIB. most if not all large Tamiya monster trucks enjoy collectors attention so in my mind this is possibly a newer grail car/truck. I would imagine the Jugg 1 is rarer than the Jugg 2 as by that time the transmission was more sorted out along with the TXT-1 release.

Porsche 934 - if the numbers were only 2500 then I would say this is definitely a future grail car. Tamiya Porsche's enjoy great fanfare to the point even the common (at the time) TA02SW Porsche GT2 are sought after.

TRF414X - the recent eBay auction that can be confirmed/sold from last summer is a pretty well worn example in need of lots of restoring. It went for a price that is higher than buying yourself a new release TRF.

Porsche 959 / Celica Gr.B

TA03F Pro David Jun

TRF501x

I dont think that the TRF501x was any more dearer that the Top Force Evo was back in its day.

The TF Evo was built for high end racing just as the 501x was.

What is important I think, Is that they both included specific bodies.

I think that the newer TRF511, 502, 503 lost a looses a little because they do not have a specific body.

Paulo.

Will Chang:

That is a common misconception. The TRF414 series cars were developed in house by Tamiya's TRF. Masayuki Miura and Takahiko Yasui who developed the series all left for HPI (later joined by 2002 IFMAR champion Surikarn).

The later car that was developed by Tech racing for Tamiya is the TRF415. You can still find old RCTech threads stating as such with owners finding Tech racing stamps here and there in the packaging.

TRF414X was numbered series (150 production units released to public), TRF414 was numbered (1500? production units released), and TRF414M2 WCR (1700 production units released). These are easily verified by checking member listing of cars and general google search (Tamiya still has the 414X/414 development and info on their website indicating this as well). The 414M and 414M2 did not contain serial numbering but the original 414M was indicated as a limited production run.

Are you saying I should hold on to my 414 for a couple of years more?

Not at all. Keep & build the cars you love. Trade and sell the ones you don't so that others may enjoy them.

The 414 series had a good user base during its day, in particular with the 414M2 release as the prices made them attractive for the racers. Also historically it was the car that won Tamiya its first IFMAR championship.

I believe the car is reaching the point where it holds a similar status as the AE RC10 buggy; its history and race heritage is valued by those of us who remember it fondly.

Just my 2 cents but for future 'Holy Grail' kits I would generally put any kit which was initially expensive, produced in low volume, may have not been too popular at the time and stands zero chance of being re-released.

B2B racing sidecar

TR-15T

Mammoth Dump Truck

Jug 1 & Jug 2

• Like 1

Not at all. Keep & build the cars you love. Trade and sell the ones you don't so that others may enjoy them.

Spot on...

• Like 2