Sign in to follow this  
sparkysx

Best 4WD for me?

Hi,

Want a 4WD buggy, not sure what's the best for me though, will be running it on grass and tarmac, no racing though, just for having fun.

Thinking of these:-

Neo Scorcher

Durga/Baldre

Ansman Minion/Blizzard

thoughts on these? what else could I go for, don't want to spend a fortune. Will be running a Speed Passion 8.5T

Thanks!

The Neo Scorcher looks like alot of fun for general bashing around. I'm looking to get one myself as parts/hopups seem a bit cheaper and readily available as opposed to the Durga/Baldre. The Ansman Minion/Blizzard I know nothing about

• Like 1

If you were planning to race I would say go for the Durga or Baldre, as the DB01 chassis can be very competitive with a few mods. However it does need careful setup and relatively frequent maintenance to stay in top form.

Therefore, given your intended use, I would say the Neo Scorcher is your best bet. The TT02B chassis is tough and easy to maintain, making a great basher. Drop in a DF02 diff at the rear and a metal propshaft, and it will easily handle your chosen motor.

• Like 1

The TT02B will take all battery tyres, rounded stick packs, rectangular hard case lipos, even a 4200 Turnigy shorty which is a bit thicker than your usual 2S hardcase lipo.

Can i chuck a FTX Carnage into the mix ? Just get the cheap RTR brushed one . Drop in your brushless motor / ESC and your good to go .

Their cheap but tough with good spares backup

If you're used to Tamiya build quality then I'd avoid the Ansmann - they're just not on the same level.

I bought an Ansmann Mad Rat a few years ago to start outdoor racing, I think it's quite closely based on the Team Associated B4 so in theory it's a well-balanced and well performing buggy but reliability let it down even in beginner-level racing. I couldn't get the kit ball diff to perform and it disintegrated in a short time. Only ran a few events before I threw it up in the loft and forgot about it.

You'll find the kit instructions, plastic quality, design quality, pretty much anything that can be called a quality, to be below what you're used to with Tamiya. If you manage to build it properly and run it as it's designed then in theory it should be a great piece of kit because all the geometry is good, unfortunately it will have neither the robustness of Tamiya nor the finesse of whatever they copied it from.

Can't advise on the others as I've never driven them but the TT02B would appear to be aimed at your sector of the market :)

The Ansmann 2WD Mad Rat and 4WD Blizzard are produced by Team C. The Blizzard was introduced by distributor Ansmann in 2010. For the successors of the Mad Rat buggy and Macnum Stadium Truck, Absima is now the new distributor and imports them under the names Jekyll and Hyde, with a slightly longer wheelbase and different bodyshells.

If this would be my choice, I would make it heavily depend on availability of spare parts and long-time support.

early ansmann kits are ****.. but later ones produced by team c are much better, i even run one as my main car... over my losi 22..

I've got a Mad Rat, seems brittle, I think it's an early one, my friend gave it to me, and I have reinforced the front end with aluminium as it came to me a bit snapped, also the bit in front of the battery was broken. The diff has to be tightened all the way up and so does the clutch, also the suspension tops pop off sometimes!

My mate has the Ansmann Mad Monkey. We have repaired it on several occasions using Team C-branded spares, and while they fit without a problem, they are no tougher than the Ansmann-branded originals, and break just as regularly.

If funds are really tight and/or you enjoy repairing more than driving, by all means go for the Ansmann. Although with the Neo Scorcher representing such good value these days, you had may as well go for something built to last. It would probably work out cheaper in the long run anyway due to fewer repairs being required.

The Neo Scorcher seems to be very popular for those who like to bash around with a buggy. They are a great price and there are a few hop-ups you can get to replace parts if and when they break. I also think it looks cool. Although I actually like the dual ridge shell more personally.

• Like 1

Arhh, I had this dilemma recently.

I really wanted a 4wd buggy and although I liked the Neo Scorcher I much preferred the looks of the Neo Fighter. I found myself looking (again) at old Tamiya buggies and ended up sourcing an old Baja Champ.

I'll report back later with what I think of the Baja but from your list I would pick the Scorcher :)

• Like 1

Has anyone bought from those ebay users that I linked to? will I have to pay customs?

with both being HK seller there is a chance of getting hit by customs for sure .

How about this from a German seller - no chance of duty at all from the EU

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300058568-Tamiya-1-10-RC-Neo-Scorcher-TT-02B-/141357911261?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item20e9968cdd

I want the best one out of the two, the difference in price doesn't matter.

Thinking of getting the pink one from either of these two places:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400774543112?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351174426126?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The pink one is great from an ease-of-building perspective as the shell is pre-cut and pre-coloured. And IMNSHO it looks great in pink, especially if you add white wheels to compliment the white shocks and decals.

However one thing to consider is that the pink metallic coating on the shell is conductive, which means that it acts as a rather effective barrier to radio waves. Not a problem if you are using old-school AM or FM gear with a long receiver aerial, but with modern 2.4GHz gear it can be a challenge to get enough aerial poking out of the shell to achieve acceptable range. I ended up modifying the antenna tube on mine to allow the aerial to enter it half way up rather than from the bottom, which helped a lot.

• Like 1

A 1/8th is probably the best all around bashing vehicle in my opinion. I have a Team Associated rc8.2e and love it. I have street tires for pavement and Proline Badlands for grass/dirt. The larger size makes it a go anywhere buggy. For 1/10th fun, I'd suggest a Super Hotshot with Proline Dirthawgs.

The Supershot's main weak points are the suspension arms, which are made of a hard, brittle plastic. The gears are quite tough and reliable. AFAIK the original's propshaft and driveshafts weren't up to much but the rere's are good for a fair bit of power.

Indeed. You are paying a lot for nostalgia. The TT02B Neo Scorcher is better value and a better runner. And it comes in pink! :)