Sign in to follow this  
HugoW

Tamiya Cup Top Stock TT-01 advise sought

Hi,

my first post here, and I am looking forward to all your advise from experience! Earlier this year I decided to put my RC pylon racing airplanes aside as I had no time to practice. And my 5 your old son is interested in cars, so I decided to bring my old TT-01 drift car down from the attic and convert it to a racer, to take part in the Dutch Tamiya Cup, in the Top Stock class. Basically, I can use all Tamiya Hop Ups availabe, the motor is a Carson Cup Machine supplied by the race organizers on racing day. What I did in the first place was:

- Fit toe-in rear uprights, plastic.

- Fit adjustable camber arms at the rear, plastic.

- Alu centre shaft.

- All bal bearings, of course.

- 2S Lipo (I should buy new better ones...)

- The car runs a TEU-101BK ESC, and I fitted a UBEC for the Rx.

- I have 42168 spring set on 50746 dampers (not all springs at the same time...)

- I have various pinions and spur gears, so I can tune to specific circuits. Most circuits are long, here, for nitro cars too, so I use 25/55 ratio.

- Last thing I can think of is I changed the BMW Z4 body for a Ferrari 458 and spoiler kit, which is more stable at speed.

So, I went racing and I do all right. Even came third in last event (out of 6), with a car that is slower and less well handling than the other cars on track. Time to have a look at the vehicle. At first I was the slowing factor, now it seems the car is. I found something significant and corrected it:

I gained 3 mph top speed from doing that! Now I am looking for more ideas to make the car better handling, faster, you name it. I have no clue about setting up the dampers and springs, yet. Also I consider sway bars, although I don't see others using them.

Anyway, thanks for reading, all input is appreciated.

Cheers,

Hugo

As a TT-01E owner, I'm amazed to see what you did with your ball bearings and how much you did lessen the roll resistance.

I think this article might be interesting for you regarding further hop ups:

UltimateTamiya: TT-01 budget racer

Maybe not all the tips are applicable to your case if you want your car to stay class legal.

Hi,

thanks, I found that one, too, googling. Infortunately he uses many non-Tamiya hop-ups, so I am not allowed to copy that.

BTW, the biggest change in roll resistance came from sanding down and shimming the cone gear driving the difs. Out of the box they run way too tight.

Hugo

I'm not sure what type of grease you are using inside your diff gears (tooth to tooth) but...

Consider re-lubing your bevel gears inside the differentials with some sticky anti-wear grease instead of the clear jelly or ceramic grease Tamiya has you use. Diff action should not spin freely. Sticky grease in the diff gears causes resistance in the rotation of the diff and this puts down considerably more power when accelerating (as it reduces wheel slip). This made the biggest night & day difference on my Hotshot.

Next I would step up to a quality digital servo (high speed & torque. When I went from a Futaba S3003 to a S9350 (high torque truggy servo) in my touring car, I couldn't believe the difference it made. I had to learn how to drive all over again. I also couldn't believe just how much the slow servo had been holding back.

Those mods should help you get the most out of your chassis before moving up to tire & setup tweaks.

Hi,

thanks for the advice. I am working with AW grease in the front dif, now, for a bit of a spool effect. Rear is spinning freely.

I have this servo:

BMS-631MG Super Fast Servo (Metal Gear) 5.0kg / .10sec / 46g

It is only half the power of the one you use, it is quick but only a little more power than the 3003. I will look for more power in there.

Cheers,

Hugo