Sign in to follow this  
mr crispy

Extremely expensive static Firefly kit anyone?

Just given the heads up on a "Collect the issues" Sherman Firefly tank kit.

http://www.buildshermantank.com/index.html#_

Looks decent enough but it'll take about 3 years and close to £1000 to complete... but usefully the barrel comes with the first issue and the Firefly specific mantlet comes when you subscribe.

I'm thinking to pick up a few parts to fill out my own Firefly conversion.

Makes me tempted to buy a Pro Heng Long Sherman and do the conversion .

That was my plan, bought the HL Sherman and picked up a 17pdr barrel from Honkers.

null_zpsb9d99f96.jpg

I was hoping to scratch build the mantlet and commanders cupola but they're a little more involved than I first thought. Besides there's a very reliable eBay seller called Forgebear that stocks both in white metal... well the mantlet is almost correct for a Firefly, should be easy to convert.

I was about to purchase them when I saw this and thought it maybe a better way to get the parts. But the more I look at it the less impressed I am. For a 1/16 tank rubber moulded tracks are a bit poor IMO even for a static kit, especially when it'll cost so much. There's also the amount of time it'll take to collect the bits I want, and most of everything else will likely be junk as far as I'm concerned!

Might just go ahead and order the metal parts instead.

Is a new way of getting subscriptions and modelling at the same time. Is find if money is tight and cannot fork out the funds in one go. 3 years is a long time to accumulate all the parts, I guess the value is not the quality of the kit but the time require to put it together.