Sign in to follow this  
Leethal Driver

Mk1 Scorcher - drilling out the front axle mount

So the only thing that went pear shaped with my Mk 1 strip down was (commonly I suspect) the M48 screw to retain the front torison bar on one of the front axles mounts got stuck and the head twisted off. 1 out of 4 ain't bad considering they looked a bit rusty but I didn't realise at the time the screw itself was giving way, and I've now got the remains of the screw left in the axle mount.

Any tips on drilling it out and rethreading with a 2mm tap and die? Do I just drill it out with a 2mm bit and then tap, or should I use a smaller drill bit of say 1.5mm and let the tap sort the rest out?

All advice greatly appreciated to save me making a royal mess :lol:

Cheers

Lee

I think you have to take the embedded screw out by tapping it and turn it out or enough to use a small vise grip to take it out. Othetwise could do more damage to the existing post or the area where the screw is anchor to.

If you try to drill it out you will need to be very precise when doing so to avoid drill 'wander' . If you are lucky enough to drill it out with no damage to the sides of the arm , you can then re-tap , but you will need to use a smaller drill bit than 2mm which I believe is 1.6mm .Might be easier to obtain another arm?

which arm is it, in case it screws up, I think i have some leftover oldies from an old scorcher i bought. upper and lower left arms

If you can find a "Left Hand" 1.5mm drill. Then you are half way there. Irrigate the stuck stud with WD40 etc, then with the drill on reverse away you go. Problem is the stud steel is harder than the pot metal, so start slow and keep a steady hand. With any luck the drill bit will bite and unscrew your stubborn broken stud!!!!! Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Didn't go well.... :lol::( for the moment I'm reverting to using the stiffer of the two torsion spring positions as that hole is ok. Hopefully a Mk 1 LH axle mount will turn up at some point.

Ez outs won't work on something that small. I'd be agitating it with some freeze & release first too, as it will have corroded in place. .