Sign in to follow this  
taliesin

Need advice - what brushed motor for what chassis

I recently got several new brushed motors (not what I usually buy obviously) and I'm trying to decide what types of cars, trucks or buggies to use them in. I've got about one of everything (or so the wife keeps telling me) so these motors will certainly work in something I own.

The motors are:

1. Dyna Run

2. Super Sport RZ

3. Super Sport TZ

4. Lightly Tuned

Assuming the motors will be used for general bashing (some dirt, gravel, grass and occasional tarmac) are there some suggestions for types of chassis' these would work well in or some to avoid?

(i.e. the RZ is best for ___ worst for ___ and so-so for ___ types of chassis/driving, etc.)

I will offer an opinion here, but please, I'm not going to go through the entire list of Tamiya RC cars and list what motor would suit each one...

Starting with the Lightly tuned motor, this "should" be able to be fitted to most, if not all Tamiya RC cars, for a slight increase in performance (mainly torque) over a stock silver can..

RZ and TZ.. IMO, these motors are a good upgrade over a silver can and would be best suited to cars and buggies that have some gearing options like the Frog, Hotshot, and newer DT-0X chassis so as to get the best performance from them without overheating the motor.. By this, I mean that you MAY need to fit a smaller pinion gear than what came standard in the kit, depending on what size wheels and tyres your are using (eg upgraded to 2.2 inch wheels) and the terrain you are running on (eg tarmac road V's long grass) to prevent the motor from overheating..

Dyna Run..? Which one? http://www.zaonce.com/stuff/motors/motors.htm

Item # 53272 - looks like the less powerful Dyna Run. I also just found a NIB Super Stock RR that will go in something.

I think the reason I haven't messed with these hop up motors too much is whenever I've researched one it seems like it was best used for on road racing - either high speed, endurance or sprint, etc. - and wasn't a great match for alley & park bashing so I didn't buy it.

Now I've got a slug of them (long story, don't ask) and I'd like to use them. Most of my cars, trucks & buggies have the stock gearing but I don't mind going up or down a pinion size to make something work.

I was thinking about the lightly tuned in a TA-02T and maybe the Dyna Run in a TB-01 rally car? Perhaps the RR & RZ in some 4wd buggies like a Hotshot, Dirt Thrasher, Gravel Hound, etc. Maybe the TZ for a TB-02 drifter? Most of the DT-01/02 buggies don't have a lot of pinion choices so I'm worried about heat issues if I go much past a Sport Tuned motor - which is what most of them run currently - but maybe the Lightly Tuned is better there?

I don't know, too be honest I was just going to bang these motors into different models and give it a try to see if it runs too hot, but it seems like there ought to be more thought put into than that.

Look, I've not run any of the motors that you have listed either, but I can make a fair educated guess given some other similar motors that I have run..

OK, so you have a Dyna-Run Stock, which is a 20 turn single wind.. The RZ and TZ which are 23 turn singles, a Lightly tuned which is a 28 turn single(?) and the RR which is another 23 turn single.....

What ESC's are you going to use to run the motors??

Are you running LiPo or NiMh.?? What capacity??

As I said in my first post, the Lightly tuned would probably work OK in any Tamiya RC car with Stock gearing.. You MAY even need to fit a slightly bigger (1 or 2 teeth) pinion gear to get a little more speed from it..

With the TA02T being quite tall and narrow, traction rolling could be an issue if you fit a motor that is too fast, so the Lightly Tuned is probably not a bad choice..

I would try either the TZ or RZ in the TB01 rally car, the higher torque should allow for some nice power slides.. The standard kit 16 tooth pinion, and 61 tooth spur is the slowest ratio for this car, so a good place to start..

As for fitting the other motors in some 4wd buggies, Tamiya isn't known for over gearing their buggies, so its up to you if you try them with the kit gearing first, or maybe go 2 teeth lower on the pinion to start with..

Really, it all comes down to how you drive, and where your going to run them.. Just keep an eye on the motor temps like you said, and you should be OK..

Goodluck..

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. This could be fun messing about with some faster motors.

For the most part I run 2s Lipos with the stock TEU ESC and just keep a close watch on the voltage. Never had any issues as long as I stop the moment I see a drop in performance. On some models where it is difficult to monitor I have some cheap low voltage alarms that actually work quite well. The stock CC-01 needs those because I just can tell when the voltage starts to drop. On other trail & scale trucks I have Tekin ESCs with built in cut offs.

On older models where the battery fitment is fiddly I use NIMH packs - usually 3300mah or less just because they are cheap and fit well. The 2000mah ones fit neatly in the Hornets and Hoppers, etc. and I really don't care too much about run times on those models. I probably wouldn't go above a silvercan in those anyway since keeping them upright is enough of a challenge as it is.

Thunder Dragon, Hotshot, DF-01, DF-02, etc. I am thinking it would be fun to really pump up the motors for some speed.

The only concern that I have is if the TEU ESC's will handle the additional current draw from the hotter motors..

OH, and you might want to run LV alarms on any vehicle running LiPo, and a hotter motor.. The additional current draw from the motor may cause the battery voltage to drop below what it would with a silver can when the LiPo dumps (goes flat)..

Yes, that is good advice. It hasn't been an issue with the ESC and Silvercan motors, but then you wouldn't expect it to. You're exactly right though, I bet the hotter motors and Lipos might seriously tax the ESC. I will use the alarms and keep a close eye on the temps. I won't be terribly surprised if the ESC gets hot.

I've got some LRP forward only ESCs that will handle very low turn motors, I just don't like not having reverse so I don't use them much. That, and they are older and don't have cutoffs either. Still, if heat is an issue I can use the LRPs until I can upgrade.

• Like 1