Sign in to follow this  
Scapelnz

Clod Buster shocks

Hey Guys, I'm about to order some shocks for my clod project to replace the dreaded red pogo sticks. I tend to over research when it comes projects and it doesn't take much to change my mind lol. I've seen some internally sprung 110mm shocks. (Boomerang and gmade make them) Has anyone used these on a clod? Thoughts?

When I was considering adding a Clod to my fleet, I also did a fair bit of research into shock options. The main message I got from my research was that, unless you are extensively modifying the chassis, the shocks don't really matter as the MOA design means that most of the car's weight is in the axles, which are unsprung anyway.

As such, my plans involved a cheap set of Ansmanns, that were to be rebuilt with Tamiya seals and filled with thinnish oil.

• Like 3

I've just picked up old Tamiya CVA long shocks off Ebay cheap for mine, more for the look and smoothish action than any damping requirement. I've used the original springs, and 2 sets of dampers on the rear, and one on the front (Still fot to find one more set) .

When I was considering adding a Clod to my fleet, I also did a fair bit of research into shock options. The main message I got from my research was that, unless you are extensively modifying the chassis, the shocks don't really matter as the MOA design means that most of the car's weight is in the axles, which are unsprung anyway.

As such, my plans involved a cheap set of Ansmanns, that were to be rebuilt with Tamiya seals and filled with thinnish oil.

Thanks XV Pilot. I owned an original clod many years ago and the one thing I remember most (apart from terrible handling and slow speed lol) was when going over jumps my clod would bounce like a basket ball compare to a friends clod at the time (he had fitted cva's) that would land really nicely and not bounce onto its roof or side. The oiled filled shocks made a huge difference to jumping but I never thought that the handling was improved that much. I love the clod and like many many before me plan on rectifying all the things I didn't like about it (speed, handling, stance) ;)

What are the Ansmanns like? I have a soft spot for gmade and originally planned on using their zero shocks but Ive been doing to much research and am now second guessing myself :wacko: I really like the look of the Boomerang inner sprung shocks and the similar Gmade ones but wondering if they would perform as well as the oil fill shocks?

Boomerang_zpshc6q9ma6.jpg

I've just picked up old Tamiya CVA long shocks off Ebay cheap for mine, more for the look and smoothish action than any damping requirement. I've used the original springs, and 2 sets of dampers on the rear, and one on the front (Still fot to find one more set) .

I also considered the cva's but because they are almost to stock looking I decided against them, You could probably guess the build route I'm taking :lol:

Cheers

Thanks XV Pilot. I owned an original clod many years ago and the one thing I remember most (apart from terrible handling and slow speed lol) was when going over jumps my clod would bounce like a basket ball compare to a friends clod at the time (he had fitted cva's) that would land really nicely and not bounce onto its roof or side. The oiled filled shocks made a huge difference to jumping but I never thought that the handling was improved that much. I love the clod and like many many before me plan on rectifying all the things I didn't like about it (speed, handling, stance) ;)

What are the Ansmanns like? I have a soft spot for gmade and originally planned on using their zero shocks but Ive been doing to much research and am now second guessing myself :wacko: I really like the look of the Boomerang inner sprung shocks and the similar Gmade ones but wondering if they would perform as well as the oil fill shocks?

Boomerang_zpshc6q9ma6.jpg

I have boomerang on my WT-02 and found them to need work to work correctly. You can oil fill them but they have no top cap or diaphragm so are not as good as CVA types. The pistons were poorly made and needed work to finish.

They do look cool though and in double shock configuration should just about hold up Clod weight.

What are the Ansmanns like?

Basically, they are shiney alloy-bodied CVAs.

Like the Tamiya plastic CVAs, they have two O-rings sealing the shock shaft, a diaphragm seal at the top, a plastic piston secured to the shaft with e-clips, etc.

The shaft seals are kept in place with a clip rather than a screw-on cap, and the bodies and top caps are made of alloy rather than plastic. However oil volume is virtually identical, and thus so is performance.

Only minor drawback is the shaft seals they come fitted with are a bit on the hard side, and can develop leaks. However if you swap these out for red Tamiya O-rings, they perform reliably for ages.

And they look nice! :)

I have boomerang on my WT-02 and found them to need work to work correctly. You can oil fill them but they have no top cap or diaphragm so are not as good as CVA types. The pistons were poorly made and needed work to finish.

They do look cool though and in double shock configuration should just about hold up Clod weight.

Thanks Nobbi, you have just made the decision a lot easier for me. If I'm buying a brand new product I expect it to work correctly straight out of the box <_<

Cheers mate :)

Basically, they are shiney alloy-bodied CVAs.

Like the Tamiya plastic CVAs, they have two O-rings sealing the shock shaft, a diaphragm seal at the top, a plastic piston secured to the shaft with e-clips, etc.

The shaft seals are kept in place with a clip rather than a screw-on cap, and the bodies and top caps are made of alloy rather than plastic. However oil volume is virtually identical, and thus so is performance.

Only minor drawback is the shaft seals they come fitted with are a bit on the hard side, and can develop leaks. However if you swap these out for red Tamiya O-rings, they perform reliably for ages.

And they look nice! :)

Thanks they sound really good, just did a quick ebay search and cant find any available? do they still make them?

Thanks they sound really good, just did a quick ebay search and cant find any available? do they still make them?

It looks like they are now sold under the Fastrax brand.

...Or Ansmann if you would prefer black ones.

I changed over to 4 x FTX100mm shocks last year. They're a bit cheap and cheerful but gave a nice change to the woeful stock shock performance

WP_20150108_007.jpg

They seem to be available on Ebay from time to time.

After massive amounts of over researching I bit the bullet and order my old faithful Gmade brand, I've used Gmade a lot and love the quality so I thought I'd stick with what I know :-)

Hello fellow TC members,

the first thing I have to say is that I love to be a member here in the TC!

Here are a so many nice and helpful people, its incredible!

I don't know a lot of forums with this quality.

My Question about clod shocks:

What are those lift kits for? http://www.clodparts.com/products/suspension/11.html

To make the clod taller? I don't need that, the clod is tall enough...

To get more suspensiontravel? That would be awesome.

The internet says:

For use the lift kit on the stock Clodbuster (or Bullhead), it will increase the length of the stock shocks and allows for the rubber tubing to be removed from the shock for more wheel travel.

Me asks:

Could I use longer dampers to get the same effect that I get from the lift kit?

I really don't see the profit of that kit....

The benefit of the kit is that it raises the chassis and body up and away from the wheels which, in turn, means the axles will have slightly more suspension travel, once the bump stop tubing is removed

Although you say you don't want the Clod any taller, it's the only way to get more travel using stock chassis and shocks (as it's the bodyshell getting in the way which ultimately limits the travel)

You could use longer shocks, but that will raise the Clod as well

The gap between the shell and the tyre is all the suspension travel you have - to get more travel that gap needs to increase which means the body has to go up.

Ok, now i understand the Profit, thanks!

Maybe in the future I'll use longer oilshocks, but I will adjust them to the original ridehight and get more "negative" suspensiontravel...

I hope thats understandable, my English is not the best :D

I´m thinking about trying these shocks:

http://www.ebay.at/itm/E-MAXX-Brushless-SHOCKS-3766A-8-oil-filled-Traxxas-3908-/371275014792?hash=item5671b72288

Anyone tryed the plastic E-Maxx shocks?

Do they performe like the yellow Tamiya C.V.A.`s? (I really like how the Tamiya plastic C.V.A.´s perform, i have them in every of my models, i´ve tryed Reely and 3Racing shocks in the past and din´t like them at all, but maybe it was my fault and i´ve used them the wrong way...)

I´m also thinking about to open a pictured "build/restore thread" of my vintage Clodbuster, because i´m asking a lot of silly questions in the last time, but i`affraid to show my pood modeling skills and that that nobody understands the way i talk/write in English.... ....sometimes i feel like "Hercules in New York".

• Like 1

but i`affraid to show my pood modeling skills and that that nobody understands the way i talk/write in English....

Don't worry about either of those fella - your English is great and if your modelling skills are that poor they can only improve ;) (I'm hoping mine do someday too)

Plastic Emaxx shocks are a common upgrade for a clod. On a stock clod usually one per corner will suffice or some remove the spring on one and run two, it really depends on how much sprung weight there is in the chassis/body. You can also play around with shock weights and alternate springs if you wish, but at around $20 usd for 8 they are a bargain.

You are good influences :D

Today I've ordered a set of those shocks and hope the springs aren't too stiff.

Here in Vienna aren't many hobbyshops, so getting softer springs is not the easyest thing to archive.

Do they performe like the yellow Tamiya C.V.A.`s? (I really like how the Tamiya plastic C.V.A.´s perform, i have them in every of my models, i´ve tryed Reely and 3Racing shocks in the past and din´t like them at all, but maybe it was my fault and i´ve used them the wrong way...)

Welcome to TC!

I share your thoughts about Reely and Tamiya shocks. I never got Conrad Reely alloy oil dampers to work satisfyingly good on any of my Tamiya or Kyosho chassis. I think the same dampers had been sold by Carson Modelsport long time ago, while their initial design could have been created by GPM. Tamiya's CVA dampers are so much nicer to assemble, mount and use in every way.

You are good influences :D

Today I've ordered a set of those shocks and hope the springs aren't too stiff.

Here in Vienna aren't many hobbyshops, so getting softer springs is not the easyest thing to archive.

Run the stock clod springs, and 10wt Associated oil or the lightest oil you can in them..

Thanks for all the Tipps so far!

Yesterday I've cutted the rubbertube spacers of the original shocks from 19mm to 15mm.

Now the clod is able to lift the tires just a little bit higher &amp; in compressed state there's still plenty of space between body and tyres.

With 15mm rubbertubes the tyres are not even near of rubbing the body.

Maybe the 19mm spacer is for not damaging the anti rotation bracet?

(If I'm honest I don't really understant what that anti rotation bracet is for...)