Sign in to follow this  
Toykid

3D printed parts for the Axial Jeep Rubicon

Thanks to Twinset I finally have a forum to share my latest work on. Thanks to the great guys at Hobbico I got my hands on a Axial Honcho at the start of 2014. After much wheelin and wrenching I fell in love with the SCX10 chassis and began to plan my next build.

The Axial Jeep has always been on my wish list and it is the perfect platform for a custom project.

I started with the basics, adding door handles, rear hinges etc and then moved on to the more complicated and unique parts of the project.

Here is an image of the door handles in Rhino and the real life reference:

0eb2691d94f2777b429131974153ead9.jpg

As the parts came from shapeways.

7c74997559a4a4b77654cf6c36002f92.jpg

Painted with Tamiya TS spray paint.

d8722e33e0a174dcfdfa89cebd1423cb.jpg

The next job was to create some fuel packs aka RotoPaX. The real 1:1 version awesome modular packs for your 4WD made by RotoPaX, they have tool kits, water and Fuel packs that all lock together.

These are printed in strong, flexible polished.

Posted Image

Here are the paints I used to get the final result:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The rack is design just like the full size versions allowing you to configure it a number of ways

Posted Image

Posted Image

Fitted to the car with the rack.

Posted Image

• Like 1

Here are the front and rear inner fenders. I kept the material as thin as possible for 2 reasons:

1. Keeps the cost down

2. Allows the part to flex in a roll over.

Posted Image

The front parts attach directly to the chassis.

Posted Image

The rear parts attach to the body.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 1

Here is a close up on the snorkel. Printed in frosted ultra detail so I could capture the detail of the grill mesh.

Test fitted before paint.

Posted Image

Primer and light sand with 1500.

Posted Image

Spray painted with Tamiya TS semi gloss black

Posted Image

I added the chrome detail with a chrome vinyl sticky sheet.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 3

I saw the inner guards on rcc and was going to PM you about them, but figured i would just go to your shapeways page. Unreal, think i will be ordering some, a snorkel and some handles soon! Nice work, James! :)

• Like 1

Very nice. Any time I see lights I am content. Those inner fenders are fabulous. I am working on making some for my Hilux.

Thanks Alberto,

Here's a better pic of my fenders. I am up grading the shocks to RC4WD's sweet King Shocks.

Posted Image

I also got a sweet new set of RC4WD wheels and tires.

Posted Image

I think they look mean all blacked out. I still have to paint the body on the outside to give it more of a scale look. I think I am going to go with a dark grey.

The stock grill is now available on my shapeways store, $34.99.

Posted Image

www.shapeways.com/shops/knightcustoms

Great work James. With that front grill, do you need to cut out the lexan when fitting it or is it just a matter of a few drill holes and the parts bolt around the body? And are there any plans for a set of rear arches for the G6 body shape?

• Like 1

Great work James. With that front grill, do you need to cut out the lexan when fitting it or is it just a matter of a few drill holes and the parts bolt around the body? And are there any plans for a set of rear arches for the G6 body shape?

Thanks, the G6 fenders and grill are next in my list.

James.

If you ordered the Knight Customs front inner fenders for the Axial Jeep Rubicon before Feb 7th 2015 and you now want to fit the new Knight Customs grill, you'll need to modify your fenders as shown in this instruction sheet.

All customers who ordered the fenders after Feb 7th have the updated fender design that will fit without modification.

Posted Image

Jame's not only are your parts first class but your instructions are on a par with any of the major manufacturer's . i like the way you have included the Axial part numbers - very classy .

• Like 1

Thank you, yes I was heavily influenced by the grand master himself, Mr Tamiya. I tried my best to reach the bar he set. Although I don't have them in 3 languages :)

NOW - get back to your computer and design some parts for the Proline Comanche on the Axial chassis lol

• Like 1

I have been wanting a front battery mount ever since I started crawling with the local guys out at Vasquez rocks. The difference it seems to make over having the stock kit position out back was really noticeable.

So I have made this prototype that I had printed in nylon and fitted tonight so I can test it Ronnie at the GTG out at Vasquez rocks.

Posted Image

The mount uses the stock positions on the chassis and the stock battery tray too. 4 screws secure it to the chassis frame.

Posted Image

Another 4 screws hold the stock plastic frame to the mount.

Posted Image

I put a 5th screw mount on the lower right so the metal battery plate screws directly into the mount in addition to the ends of the stock plastic frame.

Posted Image

Everything fits, hugs the inner fenders nicely and feels very solid.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I run a 4800 2S LiPo but it should also be able to accommodate a 3S as well.

• Like 1

Here are a few of my favorite shots from a crawl last weekend at my now regular spot, Vasquez Rocks.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 3

Fantastic work!

I suddenly feel an urge to go Axial :)

A quick question though: How come the 3D printed parts come on sprues?

This is exceptional!

I really do like vehicles like this - so much that I've bought a Trailfinder II cab to fit to my own crawler chassis (another ongoing project!)... it's just I'm torn because the articulation is so good that I'm going to have to cut a lot of the hood/wings away... losing a lot of what makes vehicles like this so attractive visually...

This is why I like this style of Axial chassis so much too, they are also more 'scale' in their wheel-travel, and any upgrades are similar to the 1:1 vehicles (rather than the extreme buggy long-arm style).

I can't wait to see what you come up with next James!

Jx

• Like 1

Fantastic work!

I suddenly feel an urge to go Axial  :)

A quick question though: How come the 3D printed parts come on sprues? 

It keeps all the parts together during the print process. If you've ever see one of shapeways videos, my parts get printed in big industrial printers along with hundreds of other parts. Keeping them on a sprue reduces the chances of parts getting misplaced.