My first proper RC car other than the old Jet Hopper if anybody remembers them and an RTR 1/14th scale Avante 2001

Built Basically stock out of the Box

I wont go through another entire build thread as there are already some fantastic ones on here but here is a few pics of my process.

1.jpg

3.jpg

Apparently this is one of the most commonly mis-built parts and I myself too got it wrong and had to dismantle them again to correct it

6.jpg

9.jpg

12.jpg

19.jpg

• Like 1

This is the important part!!

I discovered this by reading a few forums before I began to build.

Several people complained of the Dampers leaking and one common problem was the little O-Rings.

A solution I read was to not install them first then push the piston rod through as it can tear them.

Instead I installed the Piston rod into the main chamber first then carefully put the 2 O-Rings over the end before capping them in

26.jpg

Oh yeah and when you are moving the piston up and down to remove the air bubbles do it SLOWLY otherwise it jets everywhere and this is the end result.

28.jpg

29.jpg

Tamiya TEU-105BK ESC, Efly Reciever I think it is, came in box with my Controller

42.jpg

The Fun Part.............

47.jpg

48.jpg

51.jpg

My Chassis before any upgrades

56.jpg

• Like 1

Don't forget the 'zip-tie' mod to stop slop in the cantilevers.

Dorvack.

Yup did that Ziptie Mod and it helps a stack!!

Love it. Good job with the body work too. I love these scaler, go anywhere rc's. Just got one myself, great fun.

• Like 1

Nice green, a Ninja CR01.

Did you put some weight into the wheels? this will greatly inprove stability and climbing performance.

IMG_20141128_182307.jpg

Front (Rear has 310)

IMG_20140821_215338784.jpg

I've heard of people doing that via proper stick on weights or wrapping wire.

One guy I know of uses Ball Bearings so that they rotate within the tyre and that way the weight is constantly at the bottom of the wheel and not trying to rotate and putting stress on the drivetrain

IMG_20141128_182307.jpg

Front (Rear has 310)

IMG_20140821_215338784.jpg

What is the size, Width of the Flat Irons compared to the standard wheels,

I've heard the Flatiron are good but they look narrow and I like the width and stance of the standard tyres...

I recently decided to go on the hunt for some upgrades and Hop ups, either Tamiya or any other aftermarket brand mainly 3R

I went to several RC Hobby stores and was met with nothing but Bewildered stares and replies such as

"Huh?"

"Man Nobody bothers upgrading Tamiya stuff especially a CR-01"

"Why don't you just buy an Axial"

"Say What Now......"

The 5th shop I went to didn't have anything either and I was almost ready to leave when one Old Timer behind the counter said "Hang on man, Not many People upgrade them things so I think we may just have a bunch of old parts still in a box out back"

He came back and popped a box up on the counter and told me to have a rummage through.

He didn't have everything I wanted and I didn't want everything he had,

But what I did grab he gave me at Half Price.

This is my Chassis before any Upgrades were added

56.jpg

The Parts I acquired

74.jpg

75.jpg

76.jpg

77.jpg

My Chassis after the Upgrades Installed

78.jpg

• Like 2

Then I went and took it out for a Spin at my Local Park

Also made some changes to the Decals layout.

79.jpg

P7110023.jpg

80.jpg

86.jpg

Thanks to the Local Council dredging one of the ponds and putting in anti erosion rock barriers I now have my very own Rock Crawler course.

81.jpg

82.jpg

83.jpg

84.jpg

• Like 1

Sadly the situation seems similar in the USA; at least it is in the southeastern part of the country. The local hobby shops carry Traxxas, Associated, maybe some Losi and/or Kyosho, but that's about it. The one local hobby shop I do visit regularly does have a good stock of Tamiya static models and a variety of Tamiya paint, but that's about it. I order almost everything online and use the LHS for small items, and even then they sometimes frustrate me with the selection of hobby staples. They make their money from serving the local racers and hardcore bashers, as well as the airplane hobbyists. "Models suitable for radio control" (Tamiya's heritage) is not a major market for them, so guys like us are simply not served.

Your CR is very nice; I especially like the green paint on the shell. I built an ultra-hopped up one a few years ago, but I'm itching to build one stock so I'm not afraid to run it. Instead of the zip-tie mod I installed a link between the cantilever arms (http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=72362&p=529449). A year and a half later I combined some leftover CR parts with a Lunch Box gearbox and some onroad dampers to make a beach runner (http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=37651&p=591510).

I think the CR platform is very nice and overlooked by people a little too much. I like the construction and how it uses screws and nuts for almost all connections between parts -- you can disassemble, modify, and reassemble many times without stripping plastic parts. The chassis is plenty rigid compared to the plastic tubs used on the CC, Lunch Box, and Clod Buster. The cantilevered dampers allow a good range of motion without jacking up the chassis even more. It's a good kit stock, and you can go in any direction with it easily.

Keep up the good work on your CR, and enjoy it!

• Like 2

Is there no 'Show off your CR-01' thread for all of these beasties?

I built one years ago but didn't do much with it...

Dorvack.

Not sure man, I shall ask an Admin if we can start one hey?

• Like 1

Speedy I really like the way you set up the steering on that Lunchbox.

No tie rod, both knuckles connected to the servo.

Awesome.

Oh and thanks for your comments on the colour.

Its a fave of mine.

When I was a Kid growing up in 1980's Australia there was a car called the Holden Torana SLR5000 and they were often this colour, I have loved it since then.

SLR5000-600x400.jpg

Never owned one but when it came time to paint this Beast there was never any other colour it was gonna be.

• Like 1

Wanted to add a Touch of realism and "Scale" styling to my rig so decided to make my own Imitation CB antenna for the Bullbar.

I used a spare Antenna Pipe that was in the kit and wrapped it in PVC Insulation tape for colour then mounted it via a cable clip I had that near perfectly fitted the Bullbar, just a little glue to hold it secure and away we go.

89.jpg

90.jpg

91.jpg

92.jpg

Looks a lot taller than it really is with some of the photo angles.

In terms of "Scale" it would be about 1.5m which is 5ft and not unusual for a 4x4 CB Antenna to measure

94.jpg

Took the car out last weekend with 3 NiMh battery stick packs.

2 x 2000mah

1 x 5000mah

The 2000mah gets me about an hour of steady driving or about 25 minutes of fast running around in the dirt

The 5000mah gets me about 2 and a bit hours of steady driving, I haven't tested it on a flat out dirt run yet

But anyhow got a few pics from the day.

95.jpg

96.jpg

98.jpg

101.jpg

Had some Boom Racing Scale accessories arrive from Asiatees, Roof Basket with lightbar and some tools etc.

102.jpg

Still had more yet to come but couldn't resist getting out for a spin

104.jpg

105.jpg

107.jpg

108.jpg

• Like 1

Finally got the last of my roofrack gear from Asiatees.

And yep I hand tied those knots and Truckies Hitches using tweezers

113.jpg

114.jpg

115.jpg

117.jpg

120.jpg

123.jpg

• Like 1

Looks great! I've just got some scale accessories. They really do finish them off nicely.

• Like 1

Next phase on the Green Meanie was converting to 4 wheel steering

The Standard Locked out setup

129.jpg

Dismantled

130.jpg

The 4 wheel steer setup, I had to run the servo horn upside down because I couldn't get hold of a signal reverser for the rear servo

131.jpg

Did the job though, albeit one or 2 times the servos have cut out on me

133.jpg

While I was at it too I took to the body with a Sharpie and filled in the body Shut Lines.

Makes it stand out a bit more realistically

134.jpg

135.jpg

• Like 2

Nice to see it evolving, the sharpie lines make a difference and break up the sea of green nicely, definately looks more plausible.

How much of a difference has the 4ws made? I'm looking to go the same route with switcheable 4ws (would use the Futaba FF7 remote I have for the Bruiser so lots of options there)

Does the rear axle look like it it could take an axle guard as per the front one?

Cheers

Nito

Nice to see it evolving, the sharpie lines make a difference and break up the sea of green nicely, definately looks more plausible.

How much of a difference has the 4ws made? I'm looking to go the same route with switcheable 4ws (would use the Futaba FF7 remote I have for the Bruiser so lots of options there)

Does the rear axle look like it it could take an axle guard as per the front one?

Cheers

Nito

It has massively increased its turning circle.

BEST Mod I have done so far, Hands Down!!!!

I will say this though, at higher speeds you have to watch your modulation on the steering as its now far more sensitive and easier to flip.

Oh and yes you can quite easily add the Servo/Axle guard on, Your simply building a replica of the front axle, I just didn't have the extra parts to put one on but I can quite easily source that particular sprue

I have a friend on the inside ;)

No action with the Green Meanie this weekend.

Took the 1:1 out for a bash with a mate.

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

17.jpg

Kangaroo and her Baby Joey in the Pouch

23.jpg

The Green Meanie and my 1:1

48.jpg

• Like 3

The 1:1 mud pluggin looks fun! Lovely shot of the Kangaroo and her little Joey.

It's made me want to do some 1:1 off roading since I built my scaler. :D

• Like 1