Sign in to follow this  
AngryGoblin

Hornet help plz

Hi Garry. I've got a hornet and it has a tamiya sport tuned motor in it which is 23 turns. Generally the lower the turns the faster it will go. So the motor you have in the link which is a 15 turn motor would be a lot faster than my 23 turn one.

You also have to make sure your esc can handle the lower turn motor. For example if your esc is rated at 20t a 15 turn motor would be too much for it to handle. Does it say what turn the esc (electronic speed controller) is rated at anywhere? Or do you have an esc name and model number?

To be honest a 15t motor may be overkill in the hornet. They are very light and don't need much to push them beyond their limits. Too fast a motor and you'll be flipping it onto the roof every few seconds. So if you have say a standard 540 silver can (27 turn) at the moment I'd go for a tamiya sport tuned, 23 turn like mine or a tamiya torque tuned, 25 turn. They should give it a good boost in speed while at the same time keep it controllable and on its wheels (well most of the time anyway :lol: ). Hth

I'm sure more will be along soon with some suggestions.

• Like 1

Hi Garry. I've got a hornet and it has a tamiya sport tuned motor in it which is 23 turns. Generally the lower the turns the faster it will go. So the motor you have in the link which is a 15 turn motor would be a lot faster than my 23 turn one.

You also have to make sure your esc can handle the lower turn motor. For example if your esc is rated at 20t a 15 turn motor would be too much for it to handle. Does it say what turn the esc (electronic speed controller) is rated at anywhere? Or do you have an esc name and model number?

To be honest a 15t motor may be overkill in the hornet. They are very light and don't need much to push them beyond their limits. Too fast a motor and you'll be flipping it onto the roof every few seconds. So if you have say a standard 540 silver can (27 turn) at the moment I'd go for a tamiya sport tuned, 23 turn like mine or a tamiya torque tuned, 25 turn. They should give it a good boost in speed while at the same time keep it controllable and on its wheels (well most of the time anyway :lol: ). Hth

I'm sure more will be along soon with some suggestions.

Thanks for the reply, i understand it a bit more now.

The ESC Is the TBLE-02S that came with the kit, but may swap it out for a Quicrun 1060

The TBLE-02 has a 25t limit in brushed mode, so if you want to run that 15t motor, you'll have to go for the Quikrun or similar ESC. Alternatively you could go for a brushless motor - the TBLE-02 goes down to 10t in brushless mode.

That said, I run both my Hornets on good 27t motors and they run great! Anything quicker and they'd be all but uncontrollable.

And yes, 540 motors for RC cars are pretty standardised these days. They should all fit your car easily.

• Like 1

I think sport tuned is probably quite a nice spec on the Hornet. I'm not normal so I went with 9T brushless lol. It's a bit of a handful, this is without the tyres glued and not even at full throttle although it is in Monster guise which allows it to handle bumps a bit betteron standard guise it would be more of a handful I suspect.

• Like 1

I think sport tuned is probably quite a nice spec on the Hornet. I'm not normal so I went with 9T brushless lol. It's a bit of a handful, this is without the tyres glued and not even at full throttle although it is in Monster guise which allows it to handle bumps a bit betteron standard guise it would be more of a handful I suspect.

That thing is a beast ! LOL

I've talked the wife into buying me a Sport Tuned for my birthday, Then i think my plan will be to put the standard hornet motor in my Vintage Boomerang, which is sporting a Quikrun ESC already, motor in it is a bit tired.

Also, would i keep the standard pinion on the new motor?

As far as i know the sport tuned motor is 27t not 23t. Ive ran several motors in my hornets and loved the venom fireball 19t, sport tuned ran quite nice too.