Sign in to follow this  
monchan

tamiya pinion/ gearing question

I`ve got just about all the bits I need to start my first build. TT-02 type-s. Body is picked out, colors picked out etc.

One thing I forgot about was the pinion gear, want to replace it before I use the tamiya one, seems to be the done thing.

So I was looking at a yeah racing pinion, or one of their pinion sets.

The stock pinion that came with the kit is #BA8 22t.

It`s seems that the yeah racing 48 pitch 22t is the right match, but the LHS shop says it might

not fit. Something about Tamiya have odd pinion sizes. Google seems to confirm this, but couldn`t find a decent answer.

I read something about it needing to be a metric 48pitch couldn`t find it. Or modular 48pitch???

Yeaching racing part number MG 48022 or their set MG 48021-026 are these ok??

Gearing, where to start?

In the club regulations the car should geared above 6. It`s in japanese so I dont understand it.

I`ll go to the track at my next chance and ask the guys there, last weekend was rain rain rain.

But if there are some places you guys could point me in that would be great.

I bought the OP high speed gear set 68t (have the kit 70t) + 22t pinion + TBLM-02s brushless motor.

Am I in the ball park here? What options do I have to run faster but stay above 6. The track is simple,

couple of turns here and there. but mostly long straights.

Cheers.

Tamiya almost always uses metric pinion/spur sizes.

TT01/DF02/TT02/TT02B should all use 0.6 mod pinions and spurs.

Hornet and Lunchbox gearboxes use 0.8 mod pinions and counter gears. 0.8 mod is extremely close to 32p imperial and is virtually interchangeable.

Robinson Racing (http://www.robinsonracing.com/catalog/catalog.html) in the USA sells steel pinions on 0.6 mod and 0.8 mod / 32p pitches.

The TT-02 comes with a sturdy steel pinion right from the start, unlike other Tamiya kits where an aluminum pinion is supplies.

@Dorvack, I thought the lower the the number the faster speed. 27t pinion I thought was slower than the 22t.

Did I make a mistake somewhere? But yeah I am gonna stick with the 22t for now and see how I go.

Cheers for t he info.

Right got it, small windy track low number, long track, open track larger numbers.

cheers.

@Dorvack

I found some robinson 0.6 mod pinions, If I order a few different ones what would you recommend?

As stated above I have 68t high speed gear set, stock 70t. and the tamiya tblm 02s 15.5t

20t 22t 26t 27t

The track is changable and anyone can use it freely on non race days.

So I intend to go and practice regularly.

cheers.

Thanks mate. I don`t have the high speed gear set yet, should arrive tomorrow.

But I downloaded the manual and was able to read it and see what you mean.

Cheers that was helpful.