Sign in to follow this  
Nobbi1977

DT-01 Bull Fighter (my first build)

This is my first scratch build. I have a Hornet that I have been playing with and thought it would be good to build a chassis to get a better feel for the hobby.

I have built race bikes and restored classic bikes so my hands on experience so far is all 1:1

Why Bull Fighter?

I ordered a Mad Fighter chassis (well two, the postage made it like getting the second half price) and a Mad Bull body. Hence Bull Fighter.

I will be running Carson wheels. They are cheap and a good compromise between buggy and truck wheels.

INSERT BOX PIC HERE

I forgot to get my garage camera in so missed the first couple of shots

Steering arms in place

SAM_1305_zps4e1c27d3.jpg

Shock tower fitted.

SAM_1306_zps2d45952e.jpg

Not happy with the dodgy way steering arms are held on so I think I will replace with cut down M3 bolts and lock nuts

SAM_1308_zps82ae8345.jpg

Fitted for now. Want to do it buy the book at least once

SAM_1309_zpsc302aa93.jpg

Lower arms ready to go

SAM_1310_zps261c310a.jpg

Fitted, lots of play though. Guess that is why there are more expensive kits out there.

SAM_1311_zps2ce2aed3.jpg

All connected up. A lot better than the Hornet set up.

SAM_1312_zps2b7d0e77.jpg

Shocks built. They are at best poor, these will have to go very fast

SAM_1314_zps30b64043.jpg

Ball bearings throughout. no point using the silly plastic things for the sake of a fiver

SAM_1315_zpsfe2231bd.jpg

One half of diff / axel

SAM_1316_zps3dbc8a48.jpg

Diff Parts. Was surprised to find alloy parts

SAM_1317_zps64f08c15.jpg

Though about adding a couple of O rings to tighten it up and so limited slip. There was not enough space but I am sure a couple of grub screws could be used to adjust it. Might get a spare to play with.

SAM_1318_zps20bb88f3.jpg

Built ready to attach

SAM_1319_zps16428f5b.jpg

Motor in. Not sure what I will run in the end but this will do for now

SAM_1320_zps255f8693.jpg

Spot the mistake

SAM_1321_zpsc7883681.jpg

Much better :-)

SAM_1322_zps907439de.jpg

Opps, missed the shock fitting bit. They are so poor i am amazed they can get away with supplying them, do they just do it to sell Hop-ups?

SAM_1325_zpsedc640f6.jpg

Body and wheels trial fitted

SAM_1323_zps8d6d212d.jpg

SAM_1324_zpsd65f0393.jpg

Rear body pin supplied is not correct so I need one to fit the body. No idea on colours or electrics yet.

Need advice on best and cheapest Hopups now

Excellent build :) Thanks for sharing, want more!

I totally agree about the friction shocks... I don't even build them anymore. I usually add an order of Absima Alloy Shocks from Fusion hobbies whenever I order a kit, at 9.99 a pair it's not much to add to an order and with the 10% discount from TamiyaClub it's not that painful on top of bearings...

I've always loved the looks of the Madbull body and have considered getting one but the massive bump steer you get with them tractor tyres has always put me off... I'd be interested to know how you find this chassis once you run it.

I've always also though that the rear geometry is way to laid back to be really any use...the lever point compared to shock angle is just to shallow and seems very inefficient... Perhaps some home made carbon fiber or alloy shock mount extensions would improve performance.

K

• Like 1

The shocks are not hideously expensive but are about the same as 1:1 car shocks and when you pay £28 for a chassis almost double the cost but I guess that is the fun with the hobby

Bump steer will be an issue but not as much as the Hornet I think. I thought the same about the rear shocks, the friction ones lock up with side load under movement so I might look at a solution.

I have a spare pair of Hornet rear oil shocks that look like the might slot on the front. Going to build my Dt-02 tomorrow then I will look at mods.

Thanks for your build thread. :)

@kaylon: The rear suspension is surprisingly efficient on the DT-01 and provides lots of articulation. Much more advanced compared to the Grasshopper and Grasshopper II chassis types. :) Mad Bulls are fun, have a look at my brushless Bull if you're curious: http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=68383&page=1

• Like 1

How can I resist that offer when a link is provided.... Thanks Greg :) .

I do love the Madbull for how it looks...and most of it's chassis variants but with every vid I watch all I can see is probably one of the worst designed RC cars of all time :)

Sure it's gonna be fun...it has big wheels and can bounce around....but oh lord...the steering.... and the chassis bounce .... Granted I bet it's still a Riot to drive and lots of fun...and that's why I will have one and will love it...but part of me just keeps on saying NO ... this is amazingly bad for everything... a bit like a citron 2CV .... :)

K

• Like 2

Despite what appear to be hideous design shortcomings, the DT01 actually performs rather well, especially with standard buggy size wheels and tyres fitted. Mine took me to first place in its class at the A1 Revival meeting in July.

20140727_200211_zpslmryp4tq.jpg

• Like 4

I do love the Madbull for how it looks...and most of it's chassis variants but with every vid I watch all I can see is probably one of the worst designed RC cars of all time :)

Sure it's gonna be fun...it has big wheels and can bounce around....but oh lord...the steering.... and the chassis bounce .... Granted I bet it's still a Riot to drive and lots of fun...and that's why I will have one and will love it...but part of me just keeps on saying NO ... this is amazingly bad for everything... a bit like a citron 2CV .... :)

K

All my driving will be fun type like GregM's video clip. I guess ultimate chassis control is an aim for some but in 1:1 world I have an old Ducati and a '54 Ariel Hunter so build quality and reliability have always come second to quirkiness for me.

I guess I m going to end up trying out a good few kits in the next few years so I can contrast and compare.

Need a colour scheme now. Box art is out because I do not want to buy a sticker kit and fancy making my own

If you'd like a Mad Bull sticker kit, I have a mostly unused one somewhere in my bits box that you can have if you like.

As for hop-ups, the ones considered pretty much essential are bearings and a steel pinion, closely followed by oil shocks with proper ball-type fittings so that the suspension can articulate properly. On mine I also added a rebuildable ballraced 27t motor for a bit more power, and a pair of adjustable steering tie rods in order to set the toe-in. Some people also replace the wire steering link with a pair of ball links and a short turnbuckle to reduce slop.

The DT01 is perhaps best enjoyed in relatively stock form. For one thing, it performs pretty well like this, and for another, the basic nature of the design is unlikely to have its performance changed much with additional hop-ups. Rather do the basics to the DT01, and save your hop-up budget for the DT02 and WT01. They both have many more interesting and worthwhile hop-ups available.

• Like 1

Stickers would be great if possible. Drop me a pm. I am going to scan them in to get the basic shapes and then print some custom ones or, if I can remember how to use it, cut some out of vinyl. Maybe mirror silver over black?

Ordered a pack of A and D parts. This will give me the body mount and some spare lower arms.

You can't beat a madbull! I run Absima shocks on mine front and rear and they work really well, I'd suggest grabbing a set. Will have a brushless set up in this by this time tomorrow, should be fun!

10317595_10152192562361158_1898465243715

I can't find the exact same shocks now but these Absima ones will work, not going to break the bank either.

Front

Rear

Those wheels are cheap!!! Wish I spoke German, would be ordering a few sets just in case!

• Like 1

I can't find the exact same shocks now but these Absima ones will work, not going to break the bank either.

Front

Rear

Those wheels are cheap!!! Wish I spoke German, would be ordering a few sets just in case!

Use Google translate in chrome. Works well. I speak no German and ordered quite a bit.

Postage is a flat £11 ish so it pays to order a bit in one go.

They post via dhl so it is tracked to your door

Are them in aluminum? I read "plastic barrel" on ebay.

Max

I run Absima shocks on mine front and rear and they work really well, I'd suggest grabbing a set.

You are right, they are plastic. I didn't spot that! The ones on mine are aluminium, I thought they were absima but now I'm thinking maybe Ansmann then. I paid the same price as the ones I linked too, there are lots on Ebay in those sizes.

I think that reference to plastic is a typo on the EBay advert. The same shocks with the same part number are shown as alloy on Modelsport's website:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/absima-alu-dampers-75mm-1-10-2-/rc-car-products/369642

And cheaper than EBay as well.

Got a couple of bits finishing on EBay this weekend so might have to get spending. Fancy a GoPro though but shocks seem like a must.

Bearings, pinions and shocks are pretty much essential upgrades for most hobby-grade Tamiyas. Possibly worth ordering shocks for the DT02 and WT01 at the same time if budget permits?

Time for a touch of paint while i wait for the body mount.

Plain shell is not too bad but casting marks and sharp edges needed sanding

SAM_1332_zpsa295a768.jpg

First mask up before I changed my mind.

SAM_1333_zpsf932f72c.jpg

Single tone. Alloy wheel silver (£1 a tin from poundland)

SAM_1353_zps59b79b72.jpg

Roof looks a bit shoddy where I had to sand it.

SAM_1354_zpsdcffabc2.jpg

Needs a bit of high build primer but instead I thought I would try something else

Gloss black roof still showing marks but it will do for now, will need redoing the first time I flip it

SAM_1356_zpsffd61627.jpg

Interesting beer collection B) those Carson tires are quite Ok, the rims however are a bit brittle. I prefer putting just the tires on Tamiya rims, usually last longer.

For dampers you could go for a Vintage look ;) The Hicaps get mentioned in the rabbits manual.

IMG_20140406_193045837.jpg

:D :D

Like you idea with the M3 bolt as hinge pin replacement.

• Like 1