njmlondon

Got a Futaba 3GR 2.4 on its way - suitable for 3-speed?

I have always preferred stick transmitters and Futaba is my brand of choice. As such I could not resist picking up a 3GR at a very good price.

Original plan is to use it on my cars with lights, enabling me to turn them on and off whilst driving.

But i have also picked up a NIB Mountain Rider for Christmas and it occurred to me that I may be able to use my 3GR to change gear instead of buying a new 4-channel transmitter.

Does anybody know whether this will work. Never driven a 3-speed before nor used the 3GR.

Thanks

Just looked at pictures of it online. I would say no because it is only a 2 position switch and you would need a 3 position for full functionality.

However you could run it (assuming it has adjustable end points) as a 2 speed with Low 4wd and high 2wd. Low 2wd is arguably the least useful mode.

The new T4GRS looks the nuts. Unfortunately I use 5 channels to run my 3 speeders with full LED's. Otherwise that ticks virtually all my boxes. I ended up plumping for the T10J transmitter in the end!

I do not own a 3GR, but reading through the manual, the 3GR's 3rd channel seems to be rather limited in functionality.

It looks like it is designed more for slave operation under programmable mixing than used on its own.

It would be more useful for 4WS (4 wheel steering) in cars and dual-servo steering in boats than for shifting a 3-speed truck.

Lights could work, but only for on-off functionality because it appears that there are only 2-position switches (2PS) on the transmitter and no way to introduce 3-postion-switch (3PS) functionality to the 3rd channel required for shifting a 3-speed.

The new 4GRS, however, does have the ability to operate the 3rd channel as a 2PS or 3PS or even as a proportional step per click and the 3rd channel operation can be assigned to almost any switch. It's quite a nice transmitter, but be aware that it won't be compatible with the Tamiya MFU-02 sound/light module for 3-speed trucks due to the use of digital trims.

Thanks for your thoughts. I could not see how to make it 3-position myself hence the question.

The 4GRS looks lovely but probably well over spec for my simple needs!

I am thinking about the Futaba 4YWD 2.4

As an aside I will not be using the MFU-02 but I am also planning on getting a new tank so I hope the 4YWD would work with the MFC units in the Tamiy tanks.

What do you think?

I do also have a Spektrum DX6i for my plane which I guess I could use, but I do like Futaba.

Did a little bit of digging and found this thread. Seems like there were teething problems with the 4YWD but they are now ironed out. There are favourable reports of it working with the MFU, the Leopard's MF units and also the units with the 1/14 trucks. Tamiya also offers a re-branded version of it, item number 7255252.

I think I might sell the 3GR on (it is more for racing than my crawling / bashing) an source one of these instead.

Consider also the Futaba 8J and 10J. They crop up often on ebay for sensible money and the receivers are available in 6ch guise from £25-£35 depending which one you go for which is great if using in multiple rigs. No idea if they work with the MF units though sorry.

Forgive my ignorance, but with the 2.4GHz technology used in modern radios, are their any restrictions by law as to radios for "air" and radios for "surface" like there used to be for older frequencies?

For example, here in the US, 72MHz is for air only and 75MHz is for ground only per FCC rules. But I don't know about 2.4GHz. Seems that due to frequency hopping/etc. there might not be any restrictions any more so using a 8 or 10 channel airplane/helicopter radio for surface use is OK to do?

Apparently no legal issues with 2.4ghz from all the threads I've seen when looking into it.

However with Futaba at least, a lot of theT-FHSS (Telemetery enabled) surface receivers are not compatible with T-FHSS air transmitters. With S-FHSS they all seem to be compatible and with FHSS equipped transmitters they are also compatible with most FHSS receivers. That said, the cheapest I can find a Futaba receiver is an 'air' one for park flying (300m range) which should be perfect in cars!

P-R2106GF-2-4Gmed.jpg

£25,49!!

http://www.kingslynnmodelshop.co.uk/Radio-Futaba-Flight_Receivers/c29_186_312/p5879/Futaba_FHSS_R2106GF_Receiver_2.4GHz_(Air)-on_order/product_info.html

or Full range for £33.49

P-R2006GS-2-4Gmed.jpg

http://www.kingslynnmodelshop.co.uk/Radio-Futaba-Flight_Receivers/c29_186_312/p2385/Futaba_FHSS_R2006GS_6ch_Rx_2.4GHz_(Air_Only)_-_On_Order/product_info.html

Interesting options on the receivers.

Does anybody know if the 4YF is as user friendly? It is hard to find a 4YWD here in the UK but the specs look similar to me.

That was my thread on the rc construction forum. Futaba Japan (Futaba US didn't know anything about these radios at the time) sent me another receiver as it was a first batch problem.

The Futaba R2106GF that Nitomor posted is a great little receiver, I had one in my Axial Exo and the antenna didn't even poke it's head out of the receiver box and it worked fine. I was also running a 12kg servo, lights, esc, two fans through it with no problems, and its tiny!

I have 4x 4YWD's. My Leopard 2A6 uses one and works brilliantly.

• Like 1

That was my thread on the rc construction forum. Futaba Japan (Futaba US didn't know anything about these radios at the time) sent me another receiver as it was a first batch problem.

I have 4x 4YWD's. My Leopard 2A6 uses one and works brilliantly.

Thanks Berman I think the 4YWD is the one for me. Only problem is there are none for sale in Europe at the moment.

Lots of 4YFs though. Do you have any thought on them?

The 4YF doesn't have a return spring on the throttle stick, the 4YWD does

I couldn't get a 4YWD either and ended up with a Carson Reflex 6

What do you think of it? I must admit I am a bit of a Futaba elitist but that looks interesting. There is a Mountain Rider new built on ebay that comes with one of those at the moment. Price is a bit high for me but I was tempted.

What do you think of it? I must admit I am a bit of a Futaba elitist but that looks interesting.

I quite like it - it's a lot lighter than my previous 4ch sets, so feels a bit strange to start.

I wouldn't say it's quite up to Futaba's 'sturdiness' but it's ok

For me, the 2 spare channels were the seller for the truck I was building - I assigned one to the horn and the other to the fifth wheel

The radio's quite big, so might be worth trying one if you can

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=76345&hl=carson#entry583943

Can anyone confirm? It doesn't look like it has a 3 position switch on that 4ch one to me which would suggest shifting with the left stick?

Some food for thought maybe but IMHO, with so many multi channel radios available it seems madness to change gear in any other way than the 3 pos switch. With the throttle based shift you run more chance of knackering the gears and mis shifting because around the neutral position your finger will waver on the stick causing the servo to stutter slightly enough to crunch/wear the dogs and shifter. It also seems to shift smoother when on some power rather than stationary where the dogs are out of alignment and bind rather than slickly shifting on the fly rather than clunkily having to go through neutral throttle to shift.

I'm a Futaba fan also, now that I seem to be collecting so many kits, it seemed time to make the jump to an all singing radio. The 8 or 10J fit that bill perfectly and are in a different league in terms of quality compared to the car based radios. They also don't have a protruding antenna and are much lighter than the 7C Futaba Heli radio I had.

Using 5 channels on my Mountain Rider, that is if I don't then add a horn and winch taking it to 7, with channels still free for swivel head on driver etc etc. This radio lets you add so many more features with further channel mixing available through even more switches. I'm over the moon with it. I managed to get it on a deal which Ripmax had on (perhaps they still have) which is radio and two of the expensive receivers (one of them being the £50 Telemetry 3008SB the other pictured below the £40 2008SB) for £299 all in. The 8J is cheaper and offers very much the same, again more than you'd probably ever need.

medium.image.jpg.b153ca815dfa6e40acfae15

Video shifting using a Futaba 7c with 3 position switch on my Bruiser. that is before setting up the EPA's and before upgrading to a metal geared servo and tensioning up the saver a little which has since provided better shifting.

Apparently no legal issues with 2.4ghz from all the threads I've seen when looking into it.

However with Futaba at least, a lot of the surface receivers are not compatible with air transmitters. That said, the cheapest I can find a Futaba receiver is an air one for park flying (300m range) which should be perfect in cars!

P-R2106GF-2-4Gmed.jpg

£25,49!!

http://www.kingslynnmodelshop.co.uk/Radio-Futaba-Flight_Receivers/c29_186_312/p5879/Futaba_FHSS_R2106GF_Receiver_2.4GHz_(Air)-on_order/product_info.html

or Full range for £33.49

P-R2006GS-2-4Gmed.jpg

http://www.kingslynnmodelshop.co.uk/Radio-Futaba-Flight_Receivers/c29_186_312/p2385/Futaba_FHSS_R2006GS_6ch_Rx_2.4GHz_(Air_Only)_-_On_Order/product_info.html

Unfortunately for the OP, the 3GR transmitter he has can only use 2 receivers, the R603FF and R603FS.

Here's a chart: http://www.futabarc.com/receivers/fhss-s-fhss-compat.html

I've done some experimenting with the different Futaba transmitter/receiver combinations I have and have yet to have the chart be wrong.

After spending a small fortune on R603FF receivers for use with my 3PM/3PM-X radios I switched over to FlySky radios for the non-racing/vintage toys in my collection. I could get a FS-3GTB and a full set of receivers for the memory slots for not much more than a single R603FF.

The only other alternative I've found for FASST receivers are some OrangeRX and FrSky receivers that work with my 6EX and 7C transmitters and are quite bit cheaper than the Futaba equivalents. I have not seen a R603FF/FS alternative, but if someone knows of one I'd be willing to order it and test it out to let everyone know if it works with the 3PM/3PM-X.

Yes, I was referring to well priced Futaba 'air' receivers if he were to buy an air radio.

Edit: I see you've posted the chart above!

One of my reasons for upgrading from FASST was the cost of receivers. The S-FHSS receivers are far cheaper.

Thanks Berman I think the 4YWD is the one for me. Only problem is there are none for sale in Europe at the moment.

Lots of 4YFs though. Do you have any thought on them?

Oh that sucks, Stella had a deal on them recently not sure if it's still going but yeah the customs thing.

Held one, never used one, I know they don't work with the multi functions though but that's as far as my experience with them goes.

I quite like it - it's a lot lighter than my previous 4ch sets, so feels a bit strange to start.

I wouldn't say it's quite up to Futaba's 'sturdiness' but it's ok

For me, the 2 spare channels were the seller for the truck I was building - I assigned one to the horn and the other to the fifth wheel

The radio's quite big, so might be worth trying one if you can

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=76345&hl=carson#entry583943

I have to admit I prefer the heavier weight and sturdiness. It makes me feel more connected with the car. The 3GR is a joy to hold. I have decided to keep it anyway. I got it for a good price and it will be perfect for my 2-channel needs or for switching on/off lights or a winch on my RCModelex D90. I do not mind the cost of receivers being so high because I typically only drive 1 car at a time so just move the receiver from car to car.

Oh that sucks, Stella had a deal on them recently not sure if it's still going but yeah the customs thing.

Held one, never used one, I know they don't work with the multi functions though but that's as far as my experience with them goes.

Stella do sell them at a great price and I would hope customs would be minimal. Only problem is they are out of stock. Hopefully there will be some in stock soon.

I have also seen on Tamiyablog that there is a "Fine spec Radio set (with TRE-01)" about to be released by Tamiya. I wonder what that is?