Sign in to follow this  
Scapelnz

Madcap adjustable arms?

Hi, I'm currently giving my madcap some love and I am trying to track down some parts after reading many an inspiring madcap rebuild.

The parts I'm after are adjustable suspension arms? if thats what they are called?

IMG_2541_zps5310de19.jpg

I borrowed this picture from "mtbkym01" I hope he doesn't mind but these are what I'm after

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You can find many kind of adjustable turnbuckles.

Check to Stella Model, they have many titanium ones very cheap.

And maybe you can directly ask to mtbkym01 where he did found these parts.

Max

I use the DT03 turnbuckle set on my runner, but before that I used a mixture of Astute and Terra Scorcher rods and adjusters, balls and step screws.

Thanks Guys, " turnbuckles" was the word I was looking for! Makes it a lot easier to search for

Cheers

I use the DT03 turnbuckle set on my runner, but before that I used a mixture of Astute and Terra Scorcher rods and adjusters, balls and step screws.

Thanks for that, my madcap came in the post today, ordered the dt03 turn buckles the other day after seeing your post.

• Like 1

The DT03 set is great for the front, I use same on my Astute 540 vintage spec car.

You might want to keep the standard rear upper arms though. The plastic rear arms pivot on a pin and this helps prevent the lower arms from torque twisting under power. As soon as you go to ball ends the lower arms and hub can twist as much as they like.....and they do. Astute lower rear arms are a little better as they don't twist quite as much.

Thanks for that Thommo, this madcap is so clean and original that I don't think I will run it, which is a first for me

I'd post a pic but the Mrs is home and she doens't know about it yet lol

The best lower arms are Super Astute ones, as I wrote in my Astute Guide.

Max

The DT03 set is great for the front, I use same on my Astute 540 vintage spec car.

You might want to keep the standard rear upper arms though. The plastic rear arms pivot on a pin and this helps prevent the lower arms from torque twisting under power. As soon as you go to ball ends the lower arms and hub can twist as much as they like.....and they do. Astute lower rear arms are a little better as they don't twist quite as much.

The Super Astute arms are a nice item to have, but as rare as hens teeth. There are some on Ebay for £22.00 a set, but you need two sets as each one contains one front and one rear arm. Crazy prices.

I used to have Super Astute arms on my Madcap when they first became available. They are a more rigid plastic than the Madcap arms and because of this they eventually began to break in certain places (around the damper mounting holes). The Madcap arms are soft because it is more of a beginners car and the soft plastics can take more abuse and will last much longer - at the expense of performance, as already mentioned.