Sign in to follow this  
emory70

how to mount touring car wheels to a pan car

Years ago, I had a set of BoLink rims that fit a pan car but used touring car tires. Well, I'm looking to do something similar to my RJ Speed (formerly BoLink) Legend car for playing around in the street.

Those old BoLink wheels are less than available, but I've heard that the Tamiya F1 rear end parts may be usable. I am unfamiliar with them, however.

Does anyone know of a way to use the F1 rear axle in part or whole to allow 26mm wheels to be mounted on a pan car axle?

Think I saw a topic touching on this one not too long ago.

I believe the F103GT rear axle would be best suited (provided I know nothing about BoLink)...

hi , yes its possible using the f103 gt rear end , the 3racing parts can still be found easily from places like here , http://www.asiatees.com/display?Tamiya-F103GT-Parts-Hop-Ups&brand=Tamiya&model=F103GT&id=64342 ,

just have a search through the f103 gt parts , you may need to do a little modding or spacing/cutting but it should be easy enough ,

:)

Your RJ Speed uses a 1/4" rear axle shaft; the Tamiya F103GT uses a 6 mm rear axle shaft, so there will be very little crossover between the parts.

That said, you could always drill out the holes in the rear pod to accept metric flanged bearings, and then you could probably use a complete F103GT rear axle assembly to get the touring car hexes you're after. I thought about going in the other direction -- turning the 1/4" axle down to 6 mm on a lathe to accept the F103GT wheel hexes, but the diff side of the axle would be a challenge because the F103GT part has three mounting holes and the RJ Speed diff has four mounting holes.

On the front of the car the RJ Speed has imperial kingpins and suspension springs. You should be able to the use the F103GT steering blocks by either using 3mm kingpins or possibly drilling out the steering blocks. The steering blocks accept M06 front axles, bearings, cross pins, and hexes.

It should be possible to do this conversion; it will take some small modifications to make it work.

F103GT manual: http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio-control-kits-30/f-1-gt-indy-cars-36100/rc-direct-drive-tour-chassis-58367

Most of the differential parts are available -- spur, balls, diff plates, diff housings, thrust bearings, conical thrust springs, flange nuts, etc. are all there. The left and right hexes are sometimes harder to find, but you can get them from 3Racing as well. Front steering blocks are easy to get. 3Racing also has +2mm offset rear hexes and front blocks, which are useful on the regular F103GT to get closer to 190 mm width without using a lot of wheel offset.

• Like 1

I have some RPM front wheels for a mini t. Oddly enough, they accept pan car front bearings. But the diameter us a bit small.

I had a Tamiya Toms way way back, and it had 12mm hexes on the back. And used the ubiquitous 5x11mm bearings. But the 3 gear left a little to be desired.

I know I can find/make bushings to adapt the axle. The biggest issue is the rear hex mount. I've even considered the old monster truck truck of modifying the wheels instead of the axle.

Try searching ebay; for a very brief period in the 90s, one of the companies made 12mm hex adapters that bolted on to 4 hole pan car hubs. I want to say it was either Bolink or TRC who made them.

I had them. They were hybrid wheels. Pro Line made some aluminum rims in the early 90s, but I'd hate ti think what they'd cost now