AndyjcClod

Mnster Beetle what brushless motor should I get?

Hi Everyone

I am saving up for a Monster Beetle and when I build it I want to put a brushless setup in it. Has anyone got any recommendations on what motor\esc combo to get?

Als does anyone have any other suggestions on any hopups if any I should get for when I build it?

You better get a dozen new gearboxes and halfshafts with your purchase. ;)

With a brushless you'll be in need of those for sure.

Now seriously, the MB gearbox can not stand a chance with such set up. The gears hardly can do with those big wheels and the stock motors -I know I'd be more than surprised to see if it goes through one single run with a brushless motor.

I have just built mine with bearings and a sport tuned motor, I am going to be running mine on 2s lipo. As above the gearbox is not the best for fast motors

My original MB and blackfoot are still banging away with technigolds and hexshafts on 2s, are the new gearboxes even worse than the old ones?

Honestly, it seems mileage may vary depending on the user. I've never had issues with either the hexshafts or gears separating. Period magazines constantly spoke of rounding of hexshafts. Many on the 'net mention diff gears skipping and shredding themselves. I have ALOT of ORV-style monster trucks and all of them run fine. The same arrangement in my FAVs and Wild One however always had skipping/diff gear separation issues, both re-re and vintage.

That being said, when I do run a motor hotter than a Sport Tuned (BZ ,15T Firebolt, etc.) the diff gets the Oldfrogshot screw mod and at least re-re Frog dogbones. This set-up, along with bearings has yet to fail for me. Considering the Hot Shot series can handle decent motors with the same gear arrangement means, if kept in mesh, the gears can survive.

Thanks guys, I didn't realise the gearbox was so bad in that model, I will rethink my options. I was going to get a Monster Beetle to be my beach buddie but I am now wondering if the beach will be too much for it.

If you really want to trash the living daylights out of a Beetle, get a Blitzer. I run mine with a 9T BL setup, and it has yet to fail me - With paddles on the back on the beach, it will wheelie at will.

• Like 2

In my opinion the two best "beach buddies" are the Lunch Box and the Mad Bull. The gearboxes can handle 4-pole brushless power easily without skipping or destruction; the drivetrains are sealed inside solid axles which keeps exposure to sand minimal. The Lunch Box is a little more fun if you like pulling J-turns and popping wheelies; the Mad Bull is more fun if you like higher speeds and more stability. The large tires provide both models with decent ground clearance. Either way, I've owned them both and have run them both at North Carolina beaches with 3800kV 4-pole brushless power with zero issues.

• Like 2

I'll second the Lunch Box/Mad Bull option. Besides the sealed bulletproof drivetrain, those models are mostly plastic and immune to the effects of salt water (except the screws of course). Their simplicity makes it quick work to blow/clean out the sand that gets into suspension pivots and such. Oddly, the only time I had the chance to run an RC (Lunchie in my case) by the sea was also on the beaches of North Carolina.

• Like 1

Thanks Guys, I have been looking into it all weekend and think I will get a Blitzer Beetle for my beach basher :)

• Like 1

Thanks Guys, I have been looking into it all weekend and think I will get a Blitzer Beetle for my beach basher :)

I have very recently moved from a Monster Beelte to a Blitzer and it is night and day, Blitzer is a true basher and just takes abuse from what I can see, I fitted a lexan body to keep the weight down and make it more bouncy when wrong side up but so far I haven't had it off its wheels!

Monster Beetle looks epic but they are to fragile for me :lol:

Mine.

IMG_20160209_180452_zps08ck1orq.jpg

• Like 1

I notice you have a brushless combo in there :) Any recomendations?

EZRun 9T 4300KV with 60A ESC. It's mental - just as it should be \o/ Can't remember if I'm allowed to post eBay links, so I'm not going to but I can shoot you a PM.
  • Like 2

EZRun 9T 4300KV with 60A ESC. It's mental - just as it should be \o/ Can't remember if I'm allowed to post eBay links, so I'm not going to but I can shoot you a PM.

Could you send me one with the details to please :ph34r:

EZRun 9T 4300KV with 60A ESC. It's mental - just as it should be \o/ Can't remember if I'm allowed to post eBay links, so I'm not going to but I can shoot you

Could you post up the link it's not breaking any rules. Really interested in your set up. You seem really pleased with it.

Could you post up the link it's not breaking any rules. Really interested in your set up. You seem really pleased with it.

And I am. 9T is probably a bit too much, but then again - nobody ever said: "That's too much power" (:

The one in the Beetle in the pics is this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RC-Model-EZRUN-9T-4300KV-RC-Brushless-Motor-QUICRUN-10BL60-60A-ESC-ME110-/251602483977?hash=item3a94ad3b09:g:whcAAMXQ1ZhThaoi

The one going into my next Blitzer gearbox is this one, which actually feels* better:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEOPARD-SKYRC-4370KV-9T-Brushless-Motor-60A-ESC-Speed-Controller-Combo-ME720-/252257494200?hash=item3abbb7e4b8:g:4acAAOSwT6pVwiRh

*Where feeling being something illusionary that might not be there (:

• Like 1

Thanks Flerbizky :) . The leopard esc/motor combo looks great value. Has a programme card too. Nice!

I have ordered the Leopard combo and will buy the Blitzer in a few weeks.

I will post some pics in my showroom when its built :)

Thanks for all the advice everyone :)

• Like 1

I have ordered the Leopard combo and will buy the Blitzer in a few weeks.

I will post some pics in my showroom when its built :)

Thanks for all the advice everyone :)

Time for a BB Build Thread? (: I know it's a simple model, but very enjoyable!
  • Like 1